Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have taken the MSF course a couple years back and finally gettin around to buyin my first bike (sportbike). Thing is....im 6'5"-6'6" and the bike that fits me best is the Yamaha R1. I've sat on the GSX (all sizes) and the Kawasakis as well, but my knees hit the molding of the gas tank.
I picked up riding real quick and it doesn't seem difficult to me at all. Wondering if I should go ahead and get an R1 used, take it slow and just get used to it.

A little help would be appreciated...thanks!

F

·
0 Posts
No

R1 is too powerful of a bike for someone with zero experience to start on.

It goes from 0 to big trouble way to fast and the slightest bump in the road or panic brake or gas could dump a rookie on his ass (or worse) real quick

For sportbikes, good ones for begginers would be the Ninja 650, SV 650, Ninja 500, GS 500, Ninja 250

if you don't fit on those consider a dual sport

I've heard the Kawasaki Versys is quite popular and should be much more comfortable for someone that is tall

(hell the GS 500 should fit you if you get the E model as it has no fairings, I'm 6'2 and rode with a passenger the same size as me quite comfortably)

·
Registered
131 Posts
my cousin can ride my gsx650f and hes 6'5 and weights around 300 lbs and it does just fine with him. But like fire said, if you dont feel comfortable on them, go dual sport. The r1 and other ss bikes like that, especially 1000cc ss bikes will hurt you, especially with no experience, said to say, buts its the truth

·
Registered
9 Posts
im in the same boat as u im 6'4 and want a supersport(ss) as well and wasnt sure whats fits, but seeing that u fit on the R1 is good to hear cause it gives me an idea
as for getting and ss as a first bike, no way, for the first year u should pick up a used dual sport to get used to how it works and after awhile when u get comfortable then look into your ss bike, but other then that most ppl dont seem to realise how fast u can get into trouble with an ss(especialy 1000cc)bike
so stick with something simple and not to pricey at first then get the ss afterwords

if u dont mind me asking, did u try the ninjas? u said u tried the gsxr but it was to small?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
BLOCK-RIDER,
what kind of bike have you been riding? What bikes have you owned, do you own?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info guys...and s. i actually don't own a bike now. i learned on a honda nighthawk. not sure of the cc's.
im gonna check out those other bikes yall recommended..and we'll see

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
As long as you have been on a bike that was at least 500cc I think the sport bikes you have chosen will be OK. The sports bikes are great for tall guys because the rider sits with their knees behind them. Therefore they will never be in the way of the handle bars. The elbows however might hit the knees but that is unlikely.
If the nighthawk you learned on was the 250 I would be leary of you getting a 650cc sports bike, but ultimately the decision is yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts