Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Aging & Worn
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many “Charity” rides will you likely participate in this year? Care to talk about ones you frequent, and why?

There is a “Charity” ride next weekend, that I will be participating in, that honors a fallen PO, which has been going on for a number of years now. Proceeds go to Scholorships for students. I believe I saw a figure to date of some $280,000 +, granted over the years.

http://www.brianaselton.org/events.html#run

I was surprised to see that THIS years “ride” would be the last one, for this particular Charity?!

· On The Road Again!
4,965 Posts
You could go broke riding charity rides around here. There's one almost every weekend.
And they charge $25 or so for the rider and another $20 for the passenger!! (sometimes more!)
I don't know how much money you guys make, but I don't make enough for that.
Besides, I've lost my taste for riding in big crowds, especially big crowds of riders that I don't know....some of them drunk!
Just got home from a morning ride with some friends. Five bikes, just the right amount. Breakfast and gas cost less than $20.

· Aging & Worn
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It certainly CAN get expensive if I am not selective. I will only do “rides” that are truly important to me. The number of riders, is inconsequential.

· Gone.
17,927 Posts
I used to do a ride for an animal shelter group in another state, but I'd usually show up, pay my fees, buy a few tickets, and then go my own way after the first stop. I'd usually show up at the last stop for the after party later in the day.

I used to do a lot more other benefit runs when I was single. There were always honeys looking for a back seat.

· Registered
384 Posts
I rode 2 last year and plan to attend both again this year. One is to benefit the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, the other one is the TATA run to benefit ( you guessed it) Breast Cancer. Put on by the Chrome Divas. Had a great time at both and they had great turnouts for worthy causes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
I don't "ride" in any of them but I will donate or buy a ticket to several depending on what they are. You have to watch these days because now EVERYONE and EVERYTHING is a "charity". Seems some have found their cash cow. Real easy to do unfortunately.

· Aging & Worn
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to do a ride for an animal shelter group in another state, but I'd usually show up, pay my fees, buy a few tickets, and then go my own way after the first stop..........
I did that at a Ride last year. It left from a neighboring town, and just HAPPENED to be taking Main Street in MY hometown, as part of the “ride.” I didn’t expect that, and figured I would bail out at that point, rather than going BACK to the neighboring town, and then riding back home AGAIN! Sure, it’s more time on the bike, but it also wastes gas!!

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,335 Posts
I’ve done several, and a few for more than one year. Generally I enjoy these and riding roads I have not been on before. What I don’t like is the very long stops at supporting taverns. I don’t mind stopping every 45 minutes or so, but why do the stops have to last longer than the time riding? The taverns want the business in return for helping the charity, but I don’t drink and ride and there are just so many Cokes or bottles of water to handle at every stop. A few of these charity rides had me concerned with the safety of some other riders after the third stop or so when I know they have had several beers at each prior stop. And the “sling shot” effect when inexperienced riders are part of the group is less than fun as well. But overall if its a nice day and a good cause it can be a fun activity.

G

·
I don't do charity rides, I don't ride in large groups. If I am going to donate to a charity, I donate. I have and always will be a solo rider. The only exception is with my wife and daughter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.