Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted on another forum, but I wanted to share it with you........:eek:

His own words will tell the story..........

First things first...I'm okay. Battered and bruised. Incredibly sore, but alive. Posted this on the Can AM Spyder FB page as well. If anyone wonders whether the Spyder is truly safer than a two wheel bike, I am living proof. Walked away from this yesterday. Released from the hospital after 8 hours with no broken bones or internal injuries. My 2014 RTS is totaled but I am alive this morning. Not sure how. I was at a dead stop waiting for someone to turn left through stopped traffic when I was rear ended by a Tahoe doing about 40 mph. Other driver got distracted by something and didn't see the traffic stopped in front of her. Her Tahoe bent the Spyder's frame and trunk completely around, into my back and it pinned me to the windshield and steering hand grips. After the initial shock I was able to pull myself out of the Spyder and walk away. Police and EMTs were stunned I was even able to stand after this. Bottom line is I'm okay. The Spyder design is the reason I am alive to write this. I saw her coming in my side mirror and stood up, wedging my thighs on the hand grips, as I braced for the impact. Sore and bruised, but alive. I'll be getting back on a Spyder once the insurance claim is done and body is healed from this.

His bike before........

His bike after...............

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMKAY!!!! And if he were in a car he likely would have suffered zero injuries. Eh?? ;)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yep, my sons car was totaled by a pickup shoving him underneath a Cadillac and he walked away without injury.

Of course if this guy had been on a 2 wheeler he probably could've avoided the hit.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Geeeeezzzzz WOW and Holly smoke!!! :eek:

Looking at the "after" photo I can't see any space at all from where the driver was located & managed to squeeze out! GLAD to hear he's OK!!

He had a very interesting "reaction" to seeing the truck barreling up at him, to stand up. What was he thinking/hoping? Or was he actually trying to jump completely away from the trike but ran out of time & got mashed mid-jump?

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
His Angel was working triple time when this happened. So great to hear he survived to ride again!

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, my sons car was totaled by a pickup shoving him underneath a Cadillac and he walked away without injury.

Of course if this guy had been on a 2 wheeler he probably could've avoided the hit.[/QUOTE]

Your telling me you could've avoided the hit from a dead stop while a truck is already traveling at 40mph while he only had time to stand up??????

I'm not buying it.........I'm guessing your two wheeler and yourself would have been a pancake. I don't know of anybike (pun intended) that could accelerate that quickly and no way you would have remained upright.

·
Nightfly
3,721 Posts
I find it incredible this guy was able to walk away sans any injuries. I'm sure the "bike" had a lot to do with it. If the accident happened as arntufun describes, that the rider only had time to stand, and who knows why he wanted to stand, making an escape on a two wheeler would not have been possible. Closing at 40 mph is about 58 feet per second. Nah, I don't see that 2 wheeler getting out of the way. All things being equal.

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
He stated yesterday that he was in a lot of pain 24 hours later. Not surprised. He's one lucky dude.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you notice in the picture it looks like the rear of the bike is pushed up and to the right, probably more space on the left side which is where most of his body was hence why he was not crushed to death.

You know i have always thought those were cool bikes, someday maybe i will get one, but today is not that day, but damn that would be some good advertising.

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Yes this is one incredible story and im sure the spyder is safer than a motorcycle but the reason I ride isn't to be safe. Its the feeling of leaning into the turns, the bike responding to your every move, I just cant see a bike like that giving the feeling of a motorcycle. For me its worth the risk

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
1 I watch the traffic coming behind me, and
2 I would be getting out of the way well before he got to 58ft from hitting me.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
Praise God you're around to tell your story, I imagine that could have been fatal on almost any motorcycle...or a Spyder lol. I would've expected serious injury if I saw that on the road.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
1 I watch the traffic coming behind me, and
2 I would be getting out of the way well before he got to 58ft from hitting me.

Put down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard !!!!!!!:coffeescreen: Only playin, but no way would you have reacted, let the clutch out and accelerated (note .....there were cars in front, so you would have to turn to the side) that fast before you were possibly road kill........................

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
arntufun .. GLAD you're in one piece man. Looking at that post-accident photo - it's hard to believe. I dont know what inspired you to stand up when trouble was barreling down on you - but that was great thinking. better take your Guardian Angel out ... for a night on the town. HAHAHA!!!

This story has reminded me to NEVER ... repeat NEVER ... have my bike at the back of a lineup of cars (stopped at a traffic light). I dunno if a two-wheel bike could have avoided this - you'd need excellent observation skills and great reactions. But in CA we practice "filtering" all the time ... moving our bikes up between the rows of stationary cars. I am gonna make darn sure I always do this in the future ... no exceptions. I would suggest that other riders here do the same thing - legal or not.

dT

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FYI........... This was not me. I don't ride a old mans Spyder. :coffeescreen:

I ride the cool looking sport model version in my signature line below. I only posted the drivers post from another forum.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts