Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first riding season that is. Insurance expired yesterday, how depressing... However, the last week of riding to work at 5am was COLD!

I put on about 4,000km in the 3 or 4 months I had my license.. would have been a lot more, but I never did get the bike running nicely, so for the last month or so I really gave up on going out to ride for pleasure.

Despite that, I'm really proud of making my 15-year dream come true and I've learned a ton in the short time I've had my little "Max". I'm already wanting something a little bigger, at least a 650, maybe a 900.. but at the same time I also want to do a bunch of work to the current bike, and I've spent a decent amount on accessories for it, so I don't think it's going anywhere.. preferably not ever, but at least not for a couple years.

The learning isn't over either.. I've got to figure out what needs to be done to store it properly, and if I am going to do any mods over the winter, that'll be a learning process too. I have a feeling it never really stops…

It's going to be a LOOOONNNGG off-season! lol

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
You don't renew your insurance there? In Michigan insurance is good for a full year, so I just renew my policy once a year.

That aside, keep with it, I believe we all keep learning constantly. I won't be done riding this year till the roads are covered. (or I get tired of putting on winter gear :coffeescreen:)

·
Registered
943 Posts
As much as I hate Manitoba Public Insurance (for their over-the-top rates) the one smart thing they did is make motorcycle insurance for the full year with reduced premiums in the off-season. We used to have to turn in our plates and get a refund for the winter.

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Salmon Arm

Salmon Arm can range in temperature from 105 above to minus 10, or colder. It snows in the hills in October, and on the ground in November.
Overnight freezing starts in October.
You can insure for shorter periods in BC. But the shorter you go the more they tack on a nuisance fee. So 9 months worth makes sense on the East side of the Coast Mountains, and the Cascade mountains. I even drove a cage in those parts.
It is a very dry area and things do not go green like they do on the wet coast. Stuff just freezes. Walking to your cage and touching the door handle, will sometimes give you a zap of electric current.

All the good and tough cross country races were in the general area in October.

CT. Fill the tank with gas, change the oil if you are motivated, remove the battery and connect it to a small charger designed for the job.
My XS400 has been sitting since spring. I will fire him up in a couple of months. That is my winter ride out here on the left coast.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
886 Posts
Here in Maryland they used to have six month policies for bikes but I guess too many people would keep riding on the nicer days and get in accidents. Now you can't cancel insurance without proof of turning in the tags or the insurance company won't let you cancel the policy.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Winterizing: Well I'd start by FILLING the tank with non-alcohol fuel and adding a touch of STABIL or SEAFOAM.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really UC, that's all I have to do? And here I was thinking I'd have to drain the carbs or something.

Yes, I could have extended the insurance, I could have bought a year's worth, could have done just about anything really… but have chosen not to. For $64 he's got storage insurance until April. I'll get the carbs tuned over the winter and hopefully have it in top running condition for next year so I can really put on the miles!

·
Registered
210 Posts
One great thing about living in Arizona: There is no off season. You can ride all year round, assuming you have the right gear for cold, chilly weather and sweltering, hot weather. Everyone else's off season is usually when you start to see all the bikers out and about in AZ :p

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Gas and stuff.

Really UC, that's all I have to do? And here I was thinking I'd have to drain the carbs or something.

Yes, I could have extended the insurance, I could have bought a year's worth, could have done just about anything really… but have chosen not to. For $64 he's got storage insurance until April. I'll get the carbs tuned over the winter and hopefully have it in top running condition for next year so I can really put on the miles!
I do not drain the carbs on anything parked for the winter. We are not using gas with ethanol in it. Was about to say i would look at my XS400 to see if there are carb drain plugs, but I am on the mainland. You could, but fuel stabilizer is all you need, and if you fire it up again in say March, it will probably be okay without stabilizer.

I have the four carbs off my new XS1100 apart, and they have been sitting for about 15 years. They do not look too bad.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beautiful, thanks! It's got about half a tank of (premium) fuel at the moment, so I'll fill it up tomorrow, add a touch of stabilizer, and put 'er away… at least until I decide to modify the exhaust and get the carbs reset… hee hee

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Change that order. Add the stabilizer, top off the fuel and ride it home to make sure the stabilizer gets mixed in well and ends up throughout the fuel system.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Insurance has been off for a week, can't take it to the gas station to top it off… well, I suppose I COULD, but it would be pretty illegal, lol.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Personally I'd do it and add fuel stabilizer as well and ride around long enough to get the stabilizer into the carbs. If you don't you can pretty well figure you'll be pulling the carbs and cleaning them next season. Your choice but be careful if you go for it. It's just what I'd do if I blew it. Just adding fuel will keep the possibility of rust down. Won't help the carbs unless the stabilizer is in the tank and in the carbs by running it. Could be done just sitting there if you put a fan on high in front of the bike and you gave it throttle though. Again, be careful and watch for overheating. And outside.

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Just get a gas can of fresh fuel and top it off, add the stabilizer, then drive it back and forth around the driveway for 10 minutes, that should take care of getting some of the fresh mix into the carbs.

Insurance has been off for a week, can't take it to the gas station to top it off… well, I suppose I COULD, but it would be pretty illegal, lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You don't renew your insurance there? In Michigan insurance is good for a full year, so I just renew my policy once a year.

That aside, keep with it, I believe we all keep learning constantly. I won't be done riding this year till the roads are covered. (or I get tired of putting on winter gear :coffeescreen:)
Can't send a PM yet.....

Stainlesstehle, Hello,

With whom do you have insurance? I have Wolverine Mutual in Michigan. My rate for full coverage on a VXT1300 is in the high $400's. Is this sorta standard here?

I'm 61 and have a very clean driving record.

Thanks.

Mike

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Can't send a PM yet.....

Stainlesstehle, Hello,

With whom do you have insurance? I have Wolverine Mutual in Michigan. My rate for full coverage on a VXT1300 is in the high $400's. Is this sorta standard here?

I'm 61 and have a very clean driving record.

Thanks.

Mike
Hello and welcome!
I have Progressive Ins. They were the cheapest when I was looking. I will look around again in the spring to see if I can find a better offer. I'm looking for better coverage at a comparable price or better, not just cheaper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I actually did a check on them and others, and yes, there were cheaper than the company I have all my other policies through!

Thank you!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts