Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking a corner pretty slow through a neighborhood and leaned too far and I think it was my center stand foot lever thing dug into the pavement. this is why I took the one off my old bike but this is more of a project. has this happened to anybody else?

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
I've only scraped hard parts once or twice and that was going pretty fast and hit some uneven surface in the turn. I think some people believe it's all about leaning to execute a turn. Correct use of counter-steering while keeping a more upright riding position works wonders. I've watched sparks fly from people in front of me and I never throw a single spark yet I'm sticking right with those that are. And I'm not feather lite either.:D Fast or slow it's about how you execute those turns. Maybe someone that's a better wordsmith can explain it better. Maybe misty if still around?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here I thought it was the foot handle that was scraping but look at this- no wonder it jerks to the side when I put it on the stand

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Had a center stand on my first motorcycle (a VT500C Shadow) and went slowly around a rather sharp corner on sand and laid it (ever so gently) down. Embarrassed me, but I never did it again. Don't know if it was the sand exclusively, or if anything (center stand?) dragged.

-Soupy

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a center stand on my first motorcycle (a VT500C Shadow) and went slowly around a rather sharp corner on sand and laid it (ever so gently) down. Embarrassed me, but I never did it again. Don't know if it was the sand exclusively, or if anything (center stand?) dragged.

-Soupy
probably the sand, I went down in some wet leaves before. :71baldboy:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes sand will get you six ways to Sunday - ask me how I know! Thick sand is a bear to ride in... Dumped on a sand road in Florida some years back it was so thick the tires were literally sinking into it and it was bone dry! A layer of sand in turns on hard pack will low side you in a heart beat. High side you if you manage to pop out of it sometimes too... Sand - on a street bike with street tires - you can't win! Maybe walk it out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts