Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally got some time to put together video highlights of my trip from PEI (Atlantic Canada Coast) to West Coast USA (and many points in between).

All told, I rode about 23,000 KM (~14,300 miles) in 40 days. Yes, I took the scenic route!

I camped (tent and/or hammock) probably 35 of the 40 days.

Some of the spots I hit include (but not limited to):

Provinces: PEI, New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario

States: Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine

National Parks: Rocky Mountain, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Escalante, Arches, Big Bend, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Mesa Verde

Off roading: most of the fun stuff happened on the 100 mile White Rim Road in Utah (5 dismounts there alone, I think). That part starts at 7:15 of the video.

Bike: 2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650. It performed flawlessly, 2 oil changes and one rear tire were all it needed. And as you will see from the video, I didn't baby it!

Anyway, hope you enjoy watching as much as I did making it.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
I casted the video to my TV. Great job, it must have taken forever to sift through all the footage you had. I would love to do this ride, but I'd have to skip the dirt though, I just don't have the skill level to do it. Had a tiger 800 for a little while, too old, and too fat to fall over in the dirt anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I casted the video to my TV. Great job, it must have taken forever to sift through all the footage you had. I would love to do this ride, but I'd have to skip the dirt though, I just don't have the skill level to do it. Had a tiger 800 for a little while, too old, and too fat to fall over in the dirt anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot, it actually took just a few hours more than forever, lol.

I don't think I had the skill level for the dirt either, but I did it anyway!

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
P/S You get closer to buffalo than I do.
Yes. And I'll say this a nicely as I can, especially if a female
is cycling and not on two wheels. Yes, they can sense that
and things can get interesting to say the least. Best to just
move along and not stop. That's a big hint hint there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I loved it! I could watch a few hours of that. Saw some places I've been and saw a lot that I'd like to go see. Thank you for sharing that.

P/S You get closer to buffalo than I do. I understand they can be a bit "moody".
Yeah that big ******* was standing on the road, so had no choice but to try to go around. I gave him as wide a berth as possible, but I thought I might be in trouble when he gave me that head shake!

Thanks for watching.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Finally got the time to watch. That head shake of the Buffalo might not been anything more the face flies or horse flies bugging him. I'd have to have watched him more but you might have been right to split the scene. ;) ;) ;)

·
Very Famous Person
10,009 Posts
--

Super video! Thanks for sharing. I liked your inclusion of what spots were being shown. I've been to 90% of the places in your trip, although while I've been on the dirt roads in Utah and Colorado quite a bit, those were all in a Jeep. It's sure easy to see why the west is so colorful as you can see rock formations everywhere, especially the southwest. In the east not so much. (This last summer I was in Vermont, for example, and I don't think I saw anything but trees!)

--

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
--

Super video! Thanks for sharing. I liked your inclusion of what spots were being shown. I've been to 90% of the places in your trip, although while I've been on the dirt roads in Utah and Colorado quite a bit, those were all in a Jeep. It's sure easy to see why the west is so colorful as you can see rock formations everywhere, especially the southwest. In the east not so much. (This last summer I was in Vermont, for example, and I don't think I saw anything but trees!)

--
Yeah, being a lifelong easterner, I was pretty much in awe the whole time out there. Deserts, canyons, mesas, mountains, all amazing to behold.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
It is a beautiful country we live in and so different from one end to the other. Even the flat lands of the middle of the country are beautiful in their own way. The first time you see them, not so much when you spend hours driving across them :)

·
Very Famous Person
10,009 Posts
--

It all depends on the openess of your mind. As to the plains of Kansas, for example, here's a post I wrote on this site eight years ago:
Sharing a Biscuit

I was on a motorcycle ride with a friend along a lonely stretch of road in some farm country. We stopped to have a snack along the way and I had a conversation that went something like this:

“Sitting by the side of the road. Yes, a stop along the way is best in rides of adventure—all types of adventure.”

“What might one be?” you ask. You’re being coy, I can tell by the little smirk upon your face. You have that little snickle in your nose. You have that rise along your brow…

“Why here in all this glory along the way. You see the periwinkle growing there? You see the velvet, mossy tendrils of roadside green sloping down to meet the rich soil? You see the tall grass reaching to the air above?”

“Oh, yes I do,” you cheerily reply.

“And that’s not all. Watch how grasses wave, back and forth, and join with wind to propel them (along with brethren by their sides) in harmonious flow, side to side, welcoming the breath of warm puffs now.”

“I’m starting to see the picture you say. My eyes were too often clouded over before,” you inform me.

“But notice how our spirits drift to visit and touch the beauty surrounds. How our senses seem so pure. How we can feel as if our body wishes to engulf, to absorb, all the pleasure showing itself.”

“Ah, yes,” you agree. “And here I thought we only stopped for a taste of biscuit.”

“My friend, my friend. Everything within our view is here for us to taste. I would share it no better with anyone else.”

Ron Kelley
(1/12)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's funny when you grow up in an area full of trees, you kind of take it for granted they've always been there, always will be.

I've met people from the desert southwest that are amazed at all the trees, lakes, rivers, and creeks there are in this area, and I think the area they come from is beautiful.
Yeah, the grass is always greener, the girl is always prettier, the bike is always better...it's the way we're built I think.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts