Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! This is a combination of a couple of not so good rides. First, I had returned from Viet Nam to a divorce, and was slightly off center(HAHA). I bought a Matchless 650 twin from a friend and went to Calif DMV and got a license. Bike was a dream to ride, especially at low speed. Was down in Manhatten Beach puttin around and when I had enough of the beach traffic, I headed for home. I stopped at a red light on Pacific Coast Highway and Rosecrans, just sitting there waiting for the green light, when a girl in a VW Bug rear ends me! I got bumped out into the first lane, and was very lucky that there was a gap in the traffic so I did not get wiped out by the oncoming traffic. I caught up to the girl a ways down the road and yelled at her about hitting me and she denied it!! Unreal! Fast forward a few months and I buy a brand new 1971 Honda CB750. Now I am styling! But as a new rider, I had not learned an important lesson... don't ride when you are mad! I did this and lucked out. I was riding down Imperial Highway eastbound in Lennox, Calif, and ran into a group of slow moving 4 wheelers, so hot dog that I was, I just jumped over to the curbside lane and started passing all the slow cars. Next thing I know a 1963 Corvair convertible makes a right turn from the second lane right in front of me! I guess I grabbed a handfull of brakes and got on the rears as well, but I hit the car and ended up going around the corner with the car, with my left arm on the hood(in rear), as car slowed I and Honda fell on my left side. I ended up laying with my left leg under bike, and the Corvairs right rear tire about a foot from my face! I must have gotten an adrenaline rush because I pushed Honda off, and picked it up with one hand, and straightened out the bent up left side of handlebars! The poor guy driving the car was terrified he had killed me! He turned out to be a very nice African American gentleman from Michigan who had just been hired at one of the aircraft plants as an engineer. He offered to pay for the damages, but I would only accept 1/2 because I felt equally at fault. I was damned happy to be alive after that one! Thanks for reading some of my stories! Dale

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Glad to hear you survived both and learned a lot. Many folks would have said it was the car's fault when in reality if they were riding slower or paying more attention some, but not all, accidents like this might be avoided. Congrats to you. Hopefully you are still riding.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
I looked at buying a Matchless after Vietnam but hadn't yet quit smoking. Decided on a Honda 90 to Zippo around on.

Hey, great write-up. You put the reader right there with your arm dangling from the hood of the Corvair. Glad it didn't end mo' badly!

W

1 - 3 of 3 Posts