Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left my bike with gas inside too long, it made a float stick, and spewed gasoline out of the carborator. I removed and cleaned out my carb.. Thuroughly. (Q-tips and a dremel, varnish free, and cleaned orifices with wire) I was careful to observe where the mix screws were positioned, aftermarket pipes, has been calibrated before, plugs missing.

After I was done, I could only get it to run at an idle, tried my heart out, couldn’t tune it. Took it to Shawnee Cycle Plaza, in Kansas;

Was told I’d missed some goo under the floats (No I didn’t, but ok).. paid 650$, supposedly they cleaned carb. Picked it up, was suspicious that the engine was hot.. But it ran fine. I asked if they changed fuel filter (I asked them to).. No, I was told it didn’t need to be done..

Now, if I run the thing very long, it starts sounding starved for fuel, backfiring, no umpf.

Took it back, immediately alarmed when I’m told if it’s sonething unrelated, I’d have to pay.. Also, the tech noticed I had stock jets, if that’s it, I gotta pay.. I was later told it needed aftermarket jets for aftermarket carb.. Uhhh.. I’ve been riding it for five years.. but I shelled out another 250.

Problem persists.. I’m sick of Shawnee cycle plaza, replaced my own fuel pump. Helped a little.. It came back..

They’re supposed to pick it up later. I noticed something too.. in the photo, I’m leaking fuel where I’m pointing..

Any idea, gentlemen? What is up with this shop? Am I getting screwed?

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
I can't see the pic. I would've asked for a detailed breakdown of what they did for that price. If they tell you they changed parts ask for the old ones. Sounds like they charged you $650/hour (most likely). Talk to manager and complain. Tell him that's insane! And you heard that here on motorcycle forum.Com :)

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
Then again, there 's the New Jersey method of getting even, after of course you spoke to the head man in charge, only to find they aren't going to make good on anything, Tell him you are going to put out their means of doing things, much to the dis-satisfaction of the customer,
all over, internet bike forums and your own place on the net and biker hang-outs.

I had that happen once, The battery in the Sporty was good, load tested, but after a bit of a ride, nope not gonna happen. I knew there
was a chance the R/R could have 'bought the farm. I checked voltage at battery with engine running, same as not running, then checked a.c.voltage at stator plug, I was getting 48 volts at 2000 rpm, that was well within specs in shop manual, so I knew I needed a R/R

Well, the guy charged me 375$ for a new stator and R/R and labor, I told him I need a new R/R,installed, that the stator was good.
His attitude was that the bike needed a new stator, I told him I had a.c. voltage of 48 at 2k on the tach and the only thing that kept me from getting a charged battery was a bad R/R. I told him he had 2 choices, take 175$ off the bill or take the chance of losing a lot of business because I'll bust my ass telling every biker at hang-outs what a rip-off you are, not to be forgotten my places on the internet.
I was pissed and furious and he took me as being able to reduce his cash flow, I got the bike back for 200$ but still told others about him.
My attitude was that he should have just done what I told him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate you gentlemen taking the time.. I am a man who does for himself. Microelectronics technician by trade. I have the discipline, but not the experience. Not with this... I’ve combed the internet and YouTube, the service manual.. I’ve spent days and days trying to do all of it myself.. learning all I could, then painstakingly removing the carb and cleaning it by myself, adjusting it, and putting it back. Then days again struggling to get the mix screws to let me run it in anything but an idle.

That’s when I broke down and went there. I didn’t know where to go when the number of rotations both from the specs in the manual, and the count I made when I took it apart failed to work, and everything in between.

Does anyone see the pics I posted at the bottom? My intuition was about to have me getting my multimeter.. now I can’t but think this has to be related.

I really want to type it all up here, but I worry about taking advantage of your time and kindness.. Basically, I’ve

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
Think would have gone this route as I did on my old 2001 Sportster that had sat just too long .. Not saying this is the right one for you but are lots of places that rebuild and have ready to go maybe a slight change or two needed ..

1998-2003 HONDA SHADOW VT 750C REMANUFACTURED CARBS CARBURETORS READY TO RUN
HERE IS A SET OF KEIHIN CARBURETORS. THESE ARE FOR THE 1998-2003 HONDA SHADOW VT 750 C AND WILL FIT ALL VT 750 C SHADOWS FROM 1998 THRU 2003. THESE ARE 100 % READY TO BE INSTALLED ON YOUR BIKE.
$425.00
Brand: Keihin
Free shipping
Guaranteed by Mon, Jul 16

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I could rske all of your phones and laptops and put them backyogether blindfolded.. But THIS problem is really really starting to piss me off
Don't beat yourself up over this. Skills in one area do not always translate to skills in another area. For example, I can rebuild any Harley engine you'd like, but it would take me a long time to do a Honda engine and I'd have to spend most of that time reading the manual and trying not to screw anything up. And a computer? I'd almost have to get help just to turn one on.

Tuning and repairing a motorcycle, (and micro-electronics,) takes knowledge, skills, and experience. Sometimes years of experience.

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
That's why I do all my own work . You should have told him to show you the old stator too
Yeah you are right C.C. Frankly I think I just wanted my bike and my ass out of his shop, and it was charging when I got the bike home and did a voltage test, putting out about 14.3 and stayed that way ever since, so I came in with a good stator and left with one as well as a new R/R but as said, I told an awful lot of bikers about his so called bike shop, I did not need to get all mad an pissed off, that is not a good sign of business. He would have gotten more if he was a 'str8 shooter, some people never understand that. No one wants to go through that BS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, sir, I drained the gas and ran a camera into the tank to check it’s condition.

I got it back from Shawnee Cycle Plaza last night.. They tell me there was a tiny piece of plastic in my carb keeping a needle from seating..
So. A rich condition.. But one that only becomes evident when it’s running hot? I could understand I’df it was only at certain speeds.. I think he made it up.. How did that get past the strainers/filters? If it didn’t, how did it get in there after I cleaned it and they recleaned it..

I suspect it was tuned badly, and saying what they did sounds nicer to a layman.. Me, I’m just alarmed.

Runs better than ever now though.

Cost me nothing, after what I already paid em.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts