Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently passed my motorcycle safety course and have my permit. I want to take my skills test but do not have a bike and my mom will not let me purchase one. You may be wondering why I took the class anyways to begin with, I took the class to prove to my mom that I was mature enough to handle things on my own, (I went and bought my own gear, I purchased the class itself by myself also) and have took the time to sit down and try to talk to her but she isnt having any of it. So basically I have spent all of this money and it will be going to waste if I am not able to purchase a bike. I have told her multiple reasons and sent her many articles telling of why motorcycles can benefit me but no change. I have also stated that next year I will be turning 18 and will purchase one anyways but still, nothing. (Call me impatient if you want) . But I was curious if there were any loophole or way around the whole "You have to be 18 to sign a legal contract." Thanks for the help!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
If you are living under her roof, there really isn't an option. Wait until you get out on your own, then you can do as you want if you can afford it.

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
You might have better luck talking her into letting you get a scooter.
Some parents erroneously think:
motorcycle=dangerous
scooter=harmless

·
Registered
742 Posts
Kudos to you for taking the initiative! Sorry to hear of your troubles. Went through this for about 20 years between my parents and later my wife (until my kids finally grew up). I guess it depends how much respect you have for someone else's opinion and their concern for your well being. Put yourself in Mom's shoes. How would you like to know that you co-signed for your son's or daughter's motorcycle and they got hurt, or worse, killed? You would never forgive yourself. At 18, when you can legally purchase a bike on your own, go for it if you can afford it, but, keep in mind, there's going to be some hard feelings for a while (even though you ARE old enough, you're never NOT going to be Mom's kid). Keep in mind too that there's more to owning a motorcycle than just riding it. It's not an inexpensive undertaking. Between insurance, especially for a young rider, and maintenenace costs, it can take a bit of money so make sure you do your research pick a bike you can afford to support. Don't worry, the urge won't die, if anything it'll only get stronger.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
23,555 Posts
Where will you park the bike? Her house, her rules. Move out and you are on your own. Not before. Now you are just a trouble maker going against her wishes. And all she wants is to know she did her best until you moved out. So she has a clear conscience. Don't make her be party to your death if that was to happen. We all hope and pray things like that don't but you just never know.

To answer your question, yes you can. Not a good idea in this case though.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
If you don't already know the answer to the question "Am I old enough to buy my own motorcycle" then YOUR answer is no.

I purchased a Pontiac GTO at age 15 even though I couldn't yet drive. Parents threw a fit, threatened to throw me out of the house. Wouldn't let me park it in their driveway.

They got over it.

Establishing your independence of thought and action is part of growing up.

On the other hand, you buy a bike, and crash it, and have to ask "Mommy" to feed and bathe you while you recover...it's rather embarrassing.

Adulthood is making decisions and accepting responsibility for, and consequences of those actions.

You may be (legally) "old enough" to purchase a bike, but are you 100% prepared for the possible consequences of doing so?

Like getting kicked out of the house?

I didn't buy a motorcycle till my mother passed away. That's some 30+ years...out of RESPECT for her. She had been a RN and had seen what happens to motorcyclists who tangle with cars --- ending up dead, in wheelchairs, or organ donors. For all my parents did for me --- including buying me a college education --- I wasn't willing to break their hearts by getting seriously injured on a motorcycle.

That 30 years of waiting also conveyed upon me the MATURITY not to ride like a squid. Well, MOST of the time I don't ride like a squid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts