Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I love my Triumph Thunderbird, I guess I am now in the mode of thinking about a new bike. Every bike I have owned I have loved, at least for awhile, and have spent more money than I should have spent in making mods and additions to the bike. About the time the bike is really the way I want it, I start to think about the next bike. I've only had this bike for less than two years and have put just over 12,000 miles on it, and have no reason to change (just yesterday I took a two hour ride on a beautiful early Fall day and was thinking what a great ride I had on a great bike), but found myself looking at websites of manufacturers and thinking about bike payments next Spring. I guess I need to sit on, then get a demo ride on a BMW R1200 and a Honda F6b.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess its just a statement. The last few bikes I have owned I thought were likely to be my "last" bike, since at 72 now I know that my riding days are not limitless. And when I bought my bike two years ago it was only after riding several others and deciding that the Thunderbird was truly my favorite of the bunch. Maybe its just my never ending desire for something new and different, and in a way that seems healthy, rather than accepting what I have and getting into a total rut. Its funny how I internally grimace a bit when my wife starts talking about getting yet another new sewing machine for about $12,000 but I think it perfectly sensible to think about plunking down about $20,000 plus my current bike just for something new and different. I'm wrestling with whether a new bike is more important than a fancy vacation for our 50th wedding anniversary next year or not, but financial reality is that I should not be doing both. If nothing else, it gives me something to daydream about over the coming long winter months.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If nothing else, it gives me something to daydream about over the coming long winter months.
I totally get that! My bike is only two months old and I've been looking at others already. Not that I want to trade, just want variety in the stable.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For what it's worth, I wonder if any readers of this forum have any experience and thoughts on the two bikes that I am enamored with: the Honda F6b Deluxe and the BMW R1200 RT.

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
For what it's worth, I wonder if any readers of this forum have any experience and thoughts on the two bikes that I am enamored with: the Honda F6b Deluxe and the BMW R1200 RT.
I own a 2015 F6B Deluxe and considered the R1200RT before I purchased. I never test rode the RT but I thought the R1200GS I did test ride had too much vibration in the footpegs. The GS has the same water-cooled boxer engine as the RT, but I can't be certain the vibration would have been the same.

Here's a list of why I took the R1200RT out of consideration:
  • Costs more. You can get good discounts even on a current year F6B. New BMWs seem to sell for closer to MSRP.
  • Limited ergonomic adjustability. With the F6B there are tons of aftermarket options to change seating, handlebar position, footpegs, etc. The BMW has very few options. I can never be certain ergos are going to work for me until I've owned a bike for awhile, so this was an important factor. I did luck out with the F6B as the only thing I needed to change was lowering the driver's footpegs for more legroom.
  • Dealers - The closest BMW dealer is on the other side of town, and having dealt with them with warranty service on my wife's R1200R, I didn't want to deal with them again. The Honda dealer is within walking distance and if I decide I don't like them, there are a dozen dealers in the metro area.

I did really like that the RT has ABS, an electric windscreen, and better suspension, but for me the negatives outweighed the positives.

I usually keep my bikes about three years. The F6B is the first bike I've had for years that I think will be with me a very long time.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
I seem to be in a different mode right now. All summer I thought about another bike but knew we couldn't afford it. Then the other day my wife says go ahead and get another one. But for some reason I can't get in gear to look. Like it's hassle or something rather than something fun to do.

The problem is I actually have everything I want right now. And the new bikes all have something I don't care for or is completely missing. Guess it took all summer for me to realize that and get totally satisfied with what I have.

I honestly don't like Harley's new touch screen stuff. And going to it means other things I have would have to be changed as well. They don't like CD's now. Then Indian is similar and has functions completely missing that I use daily. Then other bikes I can't even look at because of my physical disabilities keeps me from riding them with their foot placement.

Now if something would break.....that would get me in gear. Maybe. Just sorta like what I have. Ain't that a pickle!!!

·
Roamer
176 Posts
I seem to be in a different mode right now. All summer I thought about another bike but knew we couldn't afford it. Then the other day my wife says go ahead and get another one. But for some reason I can't get in gear to look. Like it's hassle or something rather than something fun to do.
I'd be glad to take that problem off your hands. Just wire over the funds :coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm wrestling with whether a new bike is more important than a fancy vacation for our 50th wedding anniversary next year or not, but financial reality is that I should not be doing both.
Someone stuck by you for 49 years, motorcycles are a dime a dozen.

·
8,604 Posts
Amen on the good woman! I've been married for over 40 years and no bike is worth any marital problems.

Of course that's very easy for me to say since my sweet wife wants me to be happy and wouldn't care if I bought a new bike every 6 months or so---which I've done. Keep them super clean and low mileage and sell them to a private party and you'll not lose much. If I do trade the bike in at the dealership, I strip it of every accessory because the Stealer will give nothing extra for the very expensive crap that you bought from him in the first place:mad:

The F6b is a fabulous bike and has a low center of gravity and has arguably the worlds best engine. Having had 2 new Goldwing's and a new Valkyrie Interstate, I really appreciate the power, torque, smoothness and ultimate reliability of the 6 cylinder engine. Honda dealers are everywhere which is a big plus.

I'm also a BMW guy, having had 5, with an RT and a GS. I love the brand but I simply don't trust the reliability anymore. The total hyper complexity takes anything other than an oil and filter change out of the owners hands and there are very few dealers--a few states don't even have a BMW dealer, at least that's the way it was when I last looked. Last year, every RT sold in the world had a major-stop ride recall on the bike and the fix has taken 6 months in some instances.

I really like your bike Vito but I know how the urge for something new just takes over ones mind---it's the Virus:wink:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
I totally understand the BMW part Porky. I was complete satisfied with mine but only because I had a great dealer. After I rode it to Texas it became apparent all dealers are not the same.

So I gave it up and went back to Honda and then Harley. Just because there are so many dealers to choose from. Just wasn't the case with the BMW. Only one where I was, he had you and knew it.

I actually wish I still had that bike but I couldn't do a thing on it. Same with the Spyder we have now. It too will be the one and only for the same reason. Well, unless the wife wants another. Won't argue with her on that.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts

The problem is I actually have everything I want right now. And the new bikes all have something I don't care for or is completely missing. Guess it took all summer for me to realize that and get totally satisfied with what I have.

I honestly don't like Harley's new touch screen stuff. And going to it means other things I have would have to be changed as well. They don't like CD's now. Then Indian is similar and has functions completely missing that I use daily. Then other bikes I can't even look at because of my physical disabilities keeps me from riding them with their foot placement.

Now if something would break.....that would get me in gear. Maybe. Just sorta like what I have. Ain't that a pickle!!!
She knows you well. By giving you the go ahead she knew you would realize you didn't really want one, just wanted to look.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I want a heavy Kawasaki cruiser Vaquero........but but but since I've ridden some I'm kinda wanting a crotch rocket, I just can't decide which one. And I have a hard time pulling the trigger one because I know that would be the end of my license.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Well I don't want to push you one way or the other, but you aren't getting younger. If it were me I'd get the crotch rocket thing out of my system while I can still be in the horrid position.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have tried, so far with some success, to get away from the frequent new bike. What I have been doing is a performance and/or comfort upgrade about once a year. That way my Victory feels like a new bike but it is far cheaper to do than a trade.

·
8,604 Posts
Our affliction is a disease:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
34 Posts
financial reality is that I should not be doing both. If nothing else, it gives me something to daydream about over the coming long winter months.
Solution: Move down here to the Southeast foothills, use the left over money from selling your more expensive place up there to have your cake and eat it too, enjoy nearly year round riding and beautiful curving mountain roads. There, problem solved!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts