Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering what the best alternative to actual riding gear is. I know the real thing is best, but I want to know what to wear for the MSF and for test rides while I'm trying to get my bike running, before I'm ready to drop some $.
What is best: jean, light leather, nylon, duck (carhartt), etc.
I do have shinn and knee guards that can go under jeans.
Any advise would be welcome.
Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I took the MSF course I asked the instructor what I could get away with wearing.For the jacket a light material like a jean jacket thickness would be OK,although I upgraded to an armored leather jacket.Jeans would be OK along with something as simple as gardening gloves.I believe you have to have over the ankle footwear and eye protection a full face helmet with visor would do,I used really cheap ten buck safety glasses.

Shin guards sound like a great idea,I laid the bike down once and really banged up my shins good,took 2 weeks to heal.

·
What?
865 Posts
When I took the MSF course all we had to wear was a long sleeve shirt, jeans, gloves either leather or heavy duty textile type stuff, and helmet with eye protection. The course I took required you to bring your own helmet so you may need to look into that. Some require your own bike as well.

http://www.mechanix.com/racing/m-pact-3-glove these are the gloves I wore and still do. But I only paid $20 for them.

I wore a hoodie the first day with a T-shirt under it, but it was really freaking hot and the next day I wore a long sleeve shirt that was fairly light. Regular blue jeans and my Doc Martin 20 eye boots. When it comes to boots the class I took would not let you ride it the boot had more that a one inch heel that was not tapered so not all hiking style boots were allowed.

What you wear is really up to you, but you won't go fast than about 20 mph during the entire course and spend most of the time around 10 to 15. Find out if your course provides bikes, you may have to call a reserve one, I took mine on a Hysoung 250 that was actually pretty fun to ride, and felt nice and stable. I took mine almost 9 months before I started riding and still remembered most if not all that was taught, just because you don't have your bike does not mean you can't do the course. But, when it comes to the advanced classes you will more than likely be required to provide your own.

·
Rat Bike Extraordinaire
928 Posts
Long sleave shirt, pants, boots, and gloves. Dont forget the helmet ;). You may want to invest in some sort of protective clothing though. I mean, do what you want, but in the first 6 months of riding, you have a much better chance of hitting the pavement. I hit it a few times in the first year. Point being that a leather jacket might not go too far amiss.

·
Registered
92 Posts
my course is this week also. same as above, long sleeves, long pants, over the ankle shoes w/ hard sole, full finger gloves, and dot approved helmet with eye protection (either visor or eye goggles). i get free glasses from work so i'm just wearing those. plus i prefer a half helmet.

also that's the minimum for the course on base, which obviously requires what is required by order to ride. riding gear is preferred but this suffices. a good portion of riders just wear their cammies that they have to be in all day anyways. when we were still sleeves up (just talk to a marine about sleeve rolling for more info on that) they would just carry an extra top in the back pack for riding.

·
Registered
92 Posts
this seems a good as place as any to post this question. what's the take from you senior guys on half helmets vs full face? i like the look of a half better, even though i know a guy or two who ride cruisers and still go full face. someone suggested as a noob i go with a full face because of probability of accidents and getting my face ripped off when i lay it down. any thoughts?

·
What?
865 Posts
67.1% percent of damage done to a bike helmet done during a crash: The sections in the front and chin bar.

It's up to you, I wear a full face, I like the look of it and the more protection.

Other option is a modular helmet, they are heavier and cost more , but you can flip the front all the way around for the 3/4 look. When it comes to base riding, all that is needed is DOT approved. http://motorcycle.motorcycle-supers...nt=24&method=and&isort=score&view=grid&srt=24

·
Registered
117 Posts
I only wear a full face.

My first year wearing a full face kept me out of the hospital

I have met 3 people with permanent damage from wearing 1/2 helmets and/or toy helmets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. We have covered the minimum, what about the best fabric to wear other than thick leather?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Want to add : I will intend on getting a leather jacket, but in the real world, I know I won't wear it every day of the hot summer. I am curious if anyone knows of research comparing different light weight materials ( street clothes) in high speed situations. Just thought it would be an interesting discussion.
Thanks

·
An Arse
228 Posts
Want to add : I will intend on getting a leather jacket, but in the real world, I know I won't wear it every day of the hot summer. I am curious if anyone knows of research comparing different light weight materials ( street clothes) in high speed situations. Just thought it would be an interesting discussion.
Thanks
With street clothes it's all going to get shredded when you hit the pavement in it anyway. You might get a few feet before it hits skin if it's denim.

If you're going to be too hot in leather, at least get a mesh riding jacket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts