Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha, I passed my MSF about 1 month ago and have sportster 1200custom. Probably a lot of bike but I’m taking it slow. Did have low speed wipe out in driveway when I had a rear skid in dense gravel and hit the front brake like a newbie. This has set me back confidence wise. And I feel like I’ve forgotten everything. I’ve been watching ride like a pro dvd and twist of the wrist. Lots videos you tube.

I’ve been out riding in neighborhood since but am desperate for a practice place. Every night I do clutch control slow speed crawl in driveway but I only have 20 ft to work in and cannot do turns and stuff. The problem here is it is very congested and there are no good parking lots that would be quiet. Also much of our pavement is in disrepair. There are some churches and schools but they get locked up on weekends/evenings. I’ve thought about contacting the private places to see if they would allow me to practice, I’m even willing to pay if necessary. Would I need a legal agreement? Has anyone had this problem. Does anyone have suggestions?

Mahalo!!

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,507 Posts
Welcome, hope you get all your answers answered.

As far as private lots; the reason most would say no, is due to liability issues. You can thank feckless turds for sueing and messing up things for the rest of the people on that. I would suggest just finding the quietest place you can find and doing what you can. That is one place I have never been, however had a friend live there for a short time and she had a scooter and someone stole it to never be seen again. Lock thinks up in a well lit area and visible and practice in well lit areas and be very visible since someone may come zipping through on you. Sorry I could not be more helpful but my knowledge of the islands are not very good, but hope to see pictures and hear more about your adventures.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Welcome and yeah, that is a lot of bike to start with! Just take it slow and remember that staying relaxed is the key!

As for finding a place to practice, I utilized Google maps when I first started and found a few places nearby that worked out for me. I'm betting you could do so as well!

BTW, my wife and I were fortunate enough to spend 3 weeks on Oahu back in the mid-90's and it was the only vacation I've been on that I did not want to leave. Absolutely stunning landscape!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha it is beautiful here and great weather for riding. I have google mapped and did some recon and either lot is locked up or in massive disrepair.

I wish I could post a pic of this one entrance to the lot but the driveway into the lot was like a mogul run of 4ft mounds. Glad I checked it out in car first !!! Alas I think I’ll stick to neighborhood and quiet weekend mornings and a quick one or two circles/uturns behind the grocery store before someone catches me.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Other members do like to know they are welcoming a real person so thanks
for letting us know a little about yourself.:smile: Normally just a few more
posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site will open to you. This is the sites
spambot control. Unfortunately it is needed today. But you have to make 15
posts before you can post pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege
to be able to post pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which somehow
gets around that restriction.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

Wish I had a suggestion for you but I don't. Never been to your island so just don't know how rough you have it there. We will soon be over-run by hordes of invaders as well. I guess if I had the same problem, I'd just walk. Honestly not sure though. Best I got then...good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.