Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into town early evening to pick up a few groceries. Left the grocery store, headed home through town to stop and gas up on the way. As I was going past the Pizza Hut, a lady driving a mini-van flies out into the street crossing in front of an oncoming car without slowing and apparently not looking. She was angling in the direction I was going and on intercept course with me. With no time to honk or brake, I swerved into the other lane as hard as I've ever swerved missing her by inches. I knew there was no traffic in the other lane and was thankful there wasn't. Had this happened at a busier time of day, I would have had nowhere to go, much like the accident I posted about a couple of days ago.

The image that is burned into my mind is the lady holding her phone up, looking only at it and oblivious to traffic. She wasn't even aware she'd about caused a wreck.

I'll be on my knees giving thanks tonight!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Glad to hear you are okay! Even before I started the process of getting my MC endorsement, it always drove me insane to see people on their phones. When my parents did (and still do) it, I would take the phone from them and tell them to tell me what to type.
Maybe it's just my EMT brain going "I know what's gonna happen to this [email protected]$$"

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
BC law

It is illegal in BC to use a phone while driving. It also frees up a hand to hold your beer, coffee or pizza.

Unkle Crusty

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Damn Doc glad you are okay. I know you didn't chase her down but did you want to?

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Damn Doc glad you are okay. I know you didn't chase her down but did you want to?
Actually, when I swerved I ended up in front of her. At that point I think she must have seen past her phone and realized what she'd done. I looked back in my mirror and held my left hand out palm up and lifted it a bit, like 'what's the deal?'. She followed me through town but kept waaayy back. I slowed when I got close to the gas station to make her go past me (four lane street) and she stared straight ahead... wouldn't look at me.

I'm hoping she went home realizing the tragedy she almost caused. I'd hate to think she might pull out in front of a truck doing the same thing and leave some children motherless.

Thanks for all the well-wishes. The rest of the way home I kept seeing a front page photo of me and my bike under her front right wheel. :eek:

·
Motorbike Macgyver
379 Posts
Any ride you finish on two legs is a good one. I just wish people would pay more ****ing attention. Driving home from Daytona today, a lady tried to make a u-turn into our lane when we had the right of way. Less than a mile from our place, actually.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
So glad to hear you avoided disaster Doc! When we get to ride again I will be practicing those avoidance maneuvers a LOT!!! Take care out there Everyone!!

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Too bad she probably never realized what she did, but the important thing is you are here to post about it.

Going to be your way Saturday morning, headed to Iowa. Will probably stop at Petro for a fuel up and meet up with a friend to ride with the wife and I. Should be there about 9 if you aren't doing anything.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Some of these jackwagons actually act like being on their phone is a legitimate reason for their behavior.

Oh. I'm just going to go about my way. Just driving however. It's okay. I'm on the phone, see? You gotta look out for me because I'm on the phone. I'm making calls. I'm busy. You do the driving for both of us. I'm on the phone.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Ran into town early evening to pick up a few groceries. Left the grocery store, headed home through town to stop and gas up on the way. As I was going past the Pizza Hut, a lady driving a mini-van flies out into the street crossing in front of an oncoming car without slowing and apparently not looking. She was angling in the direction I was going and on intercept course with me. With no time to honk or brake, I swerved into the other lane as hard as I've ever swerved missing her by inches. I knew there was no traffic in the other lane and was thankful there wasn't. Had this happened at a busier time of day, I would have had nowhere to go, much like the accident I posted about a couple of days ago.

The image that is burned into my mind is the lady holding her phone up, looking only at it and oblivious to traffic. She wasn't even aware she'd about caused a wreck.

I'll be on my knees giving thanks tonight!
I'd have been compelled at that point to whip around and chase her down, and give her a piece of my mind. Because as it stands, she has learned nothing. She isn't even aware anything happened. But when people are directly confronted by the people they nearly killed, they're forced to think about it, and the gravity of their negligent behavior. Then I PROMISE you, the next time her phone rang on the road, you'd see her pull to the shoulder, with the image of a pissed off person ( especially a "biker" ) burned into her mind, every time she looks at it.

Way back about 8 years ago, I had a similar case in my then car. Chick was using her rear-view mirror to apply lipstick in busy traffic ( about 45 MPH ) and started to veer into my lane. I honked my horn, and stared at her for a moment like "Seriously?!" She freaked, grabbed the wheel ( losing her make-up kit into the back seat ) and stared at me, silently ( by way of being through 2 rolled up windows and about a foot of space ) cuss me out, like it's MY fault. :mad: I flipped her the ol' 1 gun salute, and yelled futilely to "KEEP YOUR F***ING EYES ON THE ROAD, YOU STUPID B****!"

She pulled over, clearly in shock ( and also probably to retrieve her makeup case ).

I'm certain that ever since, she's agreed to budget a few extra minutes before leaving the house. As she should've done from the f***ing start....

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Some of these jackwagons actually act like being on their phone is a legitimate reason for their behavior.

Oh. I'm just going to go about my way. Just driving however. It's okay. I'm on the phone, see? You gotta look out for me because I'm on the phone. I'm making calls. I'm busy. You do the driving for both of us. I'm on the phone.
Relevant video.---v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crm79j1qeqA

Edit: Youtube embedding isn't working. Just click the link.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Too bad she probably never realized what she did, but the important thing is you are here to post about it.

Going to be your way Saturday morning, headed to Iowa. Will probably stop at Petro for a fuel up and meet up with a friend to ride with the wife and I. Should be there about 9 if you aren't doing anything.
Hey! I was in Iowa this weekend! What was your motivation?

Mine was the Ft. Madison Tri-State rodeo. :D

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
The Idiots Rule

Glad you survived yet another idiot Metaldoc. It's getting worse by the day out there. And won't change until someone like a Senator, Governor or CEO of a phone company loses a close relative. We have BOTT's dots and rumble strips here and the idiots use them like the blind use Braille.

When they feel them they look up. SOMETIMES. I actually used my horn for the first time yesterday, after changing to a loud one over two years ago, as an idiot, on his dang phone, eased into my lane. I heard the BOTT's dots before I saw him(with my music on by the way) and started easing instinctively to the right myself before I realized he was clueless. He was actually in the one blind spot where I can't see a person in my mirror and I can't see them in my peripheral vision. The reason I ALWAYS turn my head before making a lane change. Bigger car I could see them. This was a Mini Cooper I believe. Something like that anyway.

I hit the horn and he jerked back so far into his lane that he almost hit a woman in the lane to his left(was a 3 lane both direction road). He just sped up and left both us in the dust. Sorta like I irked him for interrupting his texting conversation.

These phones are at least 3x worse than drunk drivers in my opinion. But just another day on America's crumbling road system. Is it any wonder car manufactures are working so hard at getting the technology to automatically steer cars in traffic. It's obvious the drivers just have too many other pressing things to do than to drive responsibly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Actually, when I swerved I ended up in front of her. At that point I think she must have seen past her phone and realized what she'd done. I looked back in my mirror and held my left hand out palm up and lifted it a bit, like 'what's the deal?'. She followed me through town but kept waaayy back. I slowed when I got close to the gas station to make her go past me (four lane street) and she stared straight ahead... wouldn't look at me.

I'm hoping she went home realizing the tragedy she almost caused. I'd hate to think she might pull out in front of a truck doing the same thing and leave some children motherless.

Thanks for all the well-wishes. The rest of the way home I kept seeing a front page photo of me and my bike under her front right wheel. :eek:
Well, if given the choice, better her than you. Some ppl are just extremely aggravating, not realizing that they hold responsibility for other ppl's safety as well as their own through their driving/riding.

Again, better her than you, lest she really succeed in killing someone else next time. I don't have any sympathy for blatantly and intentionally careless ppl whose actions can kill innocent others. Glad that you were ok and your skills were tested and you passed.

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
Glad that worked out well, it's a good reminder to stay very aware of what's going on around us, because no one else is looking out for us.

·
Registered
809 Posts
This! If she ends up killing ONLY herself... too darn bad!

Again, better her than you, lest she really succeed in killing someone else next time. I don't have any sympathy for blatantly and intentionally careless ppl whose actions can kill innocent others. Glad that you were ok and your skills were tested and you passed.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts