Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really getting old. Its almost the middle of March and my driveway is still ice covered. Even if the temps stay above freezing it will take several days before I feel I could get the bike from the garage safely to the street. The good news is that we are expecting warmer temps and rain, so that hopefully the ice will be melted and the sand and salt washed away. But I still won't be surprised if the first ride of this season is not until around April 1st. I'm getting too old to have to see half a year go by without much or any riding. Although I did get out for one ride in January, and two rides in December, for the most part I have not ridden since early November. I hope I still remember that its 1 down and 4 up.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,905 Posts
Sounds like you need to do a better job clearing your driveway! :)

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,442 Posts
Well they use salt for public streets so why not your drive? Can't be any worse.

·
Visionary
5,742 Posts
I feel your pain.
I used to hate that, before I moved I had 50 yards of steep, rutted dirt alleyway before my bike could find freedom, for a least a month last year the roads were clear and yet my bikes were blockaded by a glacier.

At the new house the driveway is 35 feet long and paved, I shovel it better than I do the front steps :)

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a long, wide and sloped driveway that is shared by myself and my neighbor. Every snow storm if gets plowed, but the little bit of snow left on the asphalt gets packed down by vehicles coming and going and before long it is a solid sheet of ice. I might go out and pour a 50 bag of salt and see if that makes a dent. But at 36 degrees today it is still too cold for me to go out riding. I want it at least above 40, and for more than a few hours so that I don't have to worry about shady spots still being ice covered. I learned a long time ago that ice and two wheel vehicles are not a good combination. When I was an MSF instructor, one of the sites we used had the "range" about a mile from where the bikes were stored. My assistant instructor and I would ride the little bikes out, and then get a ride by truck back to the garage. There was a garage right at the range but we were not allowed legally to use it. But one Saturday, at the end of the class, I made the executive decision to leave the bikes in the prohibited garage just for overnight until the all day Sunday class, to save the hassle of ferrying all the bikes back and forth. Well, an unexpected ice storm hit that night and I had to cancel the class, but we still had to get 18 motorcycles back to the regular garage. Riding slowly, with out feet out as outriggers, we were able to ride all the bikes back over the fully ice coated road without any serious damage to any of the bikes or ourselves. Several falls and tipovers, and even the truck driven by my assistant instructor's truck had trouble on the ice, but after over 4 hours of nervous riding we had all the bikes back where they were supposed to be stored. That was the most I ever did of riding on glare ice. Even those little 125cc and 250cc bikes, weighing no more than about 300 pounds, were a challenge to keep upright on that uneven ice over that long a stretch of road. Never again will I do that willingly. That was one of the joys of being an MSF Instructor in those days.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Still have about 4 inches of snow between the garage and the street. Other parts of the backyard are melting off really good. Around here, we have a 5th season, and it's here. We call it 'Mud Season'. Believe it or not, it's just as bad as snow and ice. Another couple of weeks and hopefully things will be dried out down in the Valley. But the run off will continue up in the Mountains until late April. Oh well, just allows more time to 'tinker' out in the garage.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I tried to go for my first Goldwing ride of the year this morning but found my departure path too covered in ice as well. My condo association gives free salt to clear our spaces with, but I refuse to use it. Should be able to get in that ride after work, though.

I also got chewed out by my neighbour this morning for being too loud last night. My old 'Wing is quieter than a stock Ford Mustang and I was running it long before quiet hour. *Sigh* Oh well, guess I'm moving all my toys back down to the end of the lot again.

·
27,442 Posts
*Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms* Perfect is probably looking for any reason to gripe. If not noise they'll find something else. They always do.

*hope I didn't leave any possibles out

·
1,251 Posts
LOL! In this case, he's a middle-age gentleman who works an extremely late shift, so he sleeps in the afternoon to the evening. If there's any loud-ish noise that lasts longer than 5 minutes he'll go out and yell at whoever is causing it. I can totally understand his anger and I try my best not to bother anyone, but it's hard to cater to people with an abnormal sleep schedule. I only work on the toys outside of quiet hours and even then, if the bike's louder than an unmodified car I'll wheel it down the parking lot away from the buildings on work on it there.

I feel for ya Vito, hopefully there's some seat time soon! :)

·
On The Road Again!
4,647 Posts
The ice and snow are melting fast here in northern N.J.
But there is still a ton of salt out there.
My bikes don't go out until we have a hard rain and all of
that damned salt is washed away.

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
I went to the mainland to pick p the XS400 that I left there a few weeks ago. And it snowed last night. Fortunately only half an inch and it melted off the drive and the roads. But this stupid plunging back in to darkness, and ice on the road, caused by the stupid daylight savings does not help.
All the school kids who get on the 0640 bus, and the workers on the 0700 bus, and in the dark in the morning again.

UK

·
27,442 Posts
Yeah, wish the heck they would leave it alone, one way or the other. Daylight savings time is well past its usefulness and is more a hazard in todays environment. If it is so darn good you would think the animals would use it too.:devil:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
My hope is that with the warmer temps here this week I'll be able to get out once or twice next. The arctic air seems to be gone - hopefully for good this season~!

·
27,442 Posts
Well Easter isn't here yet and we always get a freeze somewhere around Easter. With it being early this year I'd bet money we'll have at least one more freeze. More like 2 more. But I hope y'all are correct and it's all over.:thumbsup: :smile:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,905 Posts
Nope cold air is coming back to the East Coast. Thursday I believe.

·
1,251 Posts
Chillinois appears to be staying solidly above freezing for the next 7 days. I'm going to try to get as much bike stuff done as I can with what time I have. I hope you were able to get that ride in, Vito. The snow's finally gone in my area and I was able to get 140 miles in on the Goldwing. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.