Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each time it was at slow speeds on gravel with a passenger. I was giving rides on back country roads and at certain points I had to turn around on gravel and if it wasn't for my weight training back ground I would have dropped it. One time in particular I just had to HeMan it up and just hold the entire bike up with the weight of the passenger and just will it not to drop cuz it was going. Some of these smaller guys might look better on a bike than me and pull more women than me but they can't lift one like me lol.

How the hell do you deal with gravel? I'm guessing the main point is to just avoid it but at some point you are going to hit a loose road.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Best thing to do on gravel and you need to do a tight turn is to ask the passenger to step off for a minute. It's the easiest way to do it and ensure their safety. I witnessed a buddy of mine drop his bike with his wife on the back doing a uturn when he hit a patch of sand. He even admitted he shouldn't have been vain and asked her to hop off. Broke his mirror and cracked a rib. But otherwise ok.

And the comment about the smaller guys, a bit arrogant ain't it? I'm a pretty small girl but can lift more than I weight. Don't judge a book by its cover or it will surprise you!!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
On one of my favorite rides, my turn around point is a dirt cut out on the side of the road. There is enough room to do a u-turn, but it would be really tight. I prefer to do a walking k-turn instead. If it was paved, I may do a u-turn, but because it's sand and stone, it's just too unpredictable. I don't care if people think I look silly doing a walking K, I love my bike, I want to go as long as I can before putting a scratch on her.

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,772 Posts
How the hell do you deal with gravel? I'm guessing the main point is to just avoid it but at some point you are going to hit a loose road.
Loose on the handlebars, let me wiggle a bit; don't manhandle them. Let the biek find its path. Keep your speed up; seems counter-intuitive, but a bit of speed keeps the front wheel from digging in. Of course, tires designed for off road help. A little less pressure in the tire on sand helps, too.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Also smooth on the controls over gravel. You don't want to give sudden, jerky inputs to any of the controls. Ease the throttle and clutch, braking, and steering inputs.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I wouldn't attempt a tight u-turn on gravel with a passenger.
Good comment. I also would not recommend "he manning" the bike as it falls.

Doing this puts strain on the back at an awkward angle, and uses muscles in ways they were not designed for. Recipie for disaster.

I have back problems in the past. Lesson learned: protect the back! :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Best thing to do on gravel and you need to do a tight turn is to ask the passenger to step off for a minute. It's the easiest way to do it and ensure their safety. I witnessed a buddy of mine drop his bike with his wife on the back doing a uturn when he hit a patch of sand. He even admitted he shouldn't have been vain and asked her to hop off. Broke his mirror and cracked a rib. But otherwise ok.

And the comment about the smaller guys, a bit arrogant ain't it? I'm a pretty small girl but can lift more than I weight. Don't judge a book by its cover or it will surprise you!!
On one of my favorite rides, my turn around point is a dirt cut out on the side of the road. There is enough room to do a u-turn, but it would be really tight. I prefer to do a walking k-turn instead. If it was paved, I may do a u-turn, but because it's sand and stone, it's just too unpredictable. I don't care if people think I look silly doing a walking K, I love my bike, I want to go as long as I can before putting a scratch on her.
Lots of great advice here!! Pride and vanity has probably caused a lot more spills than "looking funny". I am in agreement with zippy. I would rather look "silly" than dump my bike. Looking "silly" hurts a lot less than a broken bone and costs a lot less than a damaged bike! I also agree with Ralph. There isn't a bike in the world worth a messed up back! Happy Riding!

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
Last summer I found myself in Nebraska turning down a road that turned to dirt about 50 feet in. I made a large U-turn and was OK. Had the road required a "Tight" U-turn I would have probably stopped and had Mrs. Crash wait for me to turn around then remount.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Wait, you've only been riding about 1 month and right at 2000 miles and you are riding passengers??? There is no way I would want to jump on the back of a bike with you. In My Opinion...you just don't have enough experience to be risking taking people for rides. When you put someone else on the back of a bike YOU are responsible for their safety. I'm not trying to be a know it all here, but please think about what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Wait, you've only been riding about 1 month and right at 2000 miles and you are riding passengers??? There is no way I would want to jump on the back of a bike with you. In My Opinion...you just don't have enough experience to be risking taking people for rides. When you put someone else on the back of a bike YOU are responsible for their safety. I'm not trying to be a know it all here, but please think about what you are doing.
and he likes to drive too fast with a windshield that is too small and his faceshield up. Don't like the looks of a windshield, can't spend the money on a decent windshield, but now wants to buy a 1700cc Kaw with a fairing.

and lets not forget, he knows about Harleys.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand your reservations and I might just be stubborn but I feel comfortable doing it or I wouldn't do it and I do take the risks, alone and otherwise, very seriously. Nothing can substitute experience on the road but I grew up riding dirt bikes so I think that is helping me feel as comfortable as I do after a short time.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I'm glad you are willing to take the risks, and I understand you feel comfortable, but please warn the potential riders of your inexperience so they can make their own decision of being willing to chance being dumped. It's their bodies that might be hurt and their lives that could be in jeopardy. You should respect them enough to at least give them the choice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and he likes to drive too fast with a windshield that is too small and his faceshield up. Don't like the looks of a windshield, can't spend the money on a decent windshield, but now wants to buy a 1700cc Kaw with a fairing.

and lets not forget, he knows about Harleys.
Wow have you had your meds checked recently? If you need some help I can spend the money on a decent antidepressant for you. It is kind of creepy how much you are following me but you still don't know me or likely as much of anything as you think you do. But I do know enough about Harley's to know that they are nice bikes but that they cost considerably more than the metrics and most of that price premium is for is marketing.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
LOL!! I'm not following you and I don't think I said anything about you and Harley's. I honestly don't much care about you, my main concern is that an unknowing person gets on a bike with ANY inexperienced rider without being given the information needed to make their own choice. And, as I said before, that is "My Opinion".

Have a nice evening.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Last summer I found myself in Nebraska turning down a road that turned to dirt about 50 feet in. I made a large U-turn and was OK. Had the road required a "Tight" U-turn I would have probably stopped and had Mrs. Crash wait for me to turn around then remount.
That was one of our newer highways then, most are still one lane.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL!! I'm not following you and I don't think I said anything about you and Harley's. I honestly don't much care about you, my main concern is that an unknowing person gets on a bike with ANY inexperienced rider without being given the information needed to make their own choice. And, as I said before, that is "My Opinion".

Have a nice evening.
Um you should probably look at the context of my post, I wasn't talking to you in that post. I quoted that the other guy who has some kind of mental instability who is stalking me, hence the Harley remark. Like I said I respect your opinion, you remind me of a cautious mom and that is ok because you didn't come at me side ways.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
You are right, I thought it was directed at me...I should read more carefully...I am Sorry!

Now why is it that so many of the younger folks say I remind them of their moms? :D :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are right, I thought it was directed at me...I should read more carefully...I am Sorry!

Now why is it that so many of the younger folks say I remind them of their moms? :D :D
Hey I'll let you talk to my mom, she was not happy when I got the bike in the first place. I don't mind someone being a mother hen, just don't nag me lol.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
See, that's the thing, I'm not like most moms. I encouraged my daughters to ride bikes, drive go carts, fish, hunt, shoot guns and bows, drive pick ups, and a few other things that most moms condemned me for. I grew up a tom boy and raised both of my girls to be tom boys.

I guess I just want folks to be cautious enough to live and learn how much fun life really is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts