Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was just water that had trickled onto the road.
I was turning right, into a cloverleaf entrance to a major expressway, followed by an attractive blond in a Dodge convertible.

The wet spot had to have been coolant, or oil, or, I don't know, elephant semen?
Whatever it was, the rear tire broke loose and I thought I was going down: low-side, no..high-side, no..low-, no, high... it was squirrely like I've never experienced. Then, it started to jump...stutter...skip... as the slick portion of the tire would momentarily lose grip and then regain it. I still can't believe I successfully negotiated that turn. I gave a quick glance back to see the convertible sliding straight through the intersection, although the tires were turned. I had to make it a really brief glance, as I was by then entering 65mph mayhem east towards Philadelphia.

Ten minutes later, I was nearly nudged into the left shoulder by a metro bus driver who apparently didn't see my bright red bike or my dayglo orange vest.
I just sped up and let him pull in behind me. I could see him making all kinds of hand gestures, but how do you signal, "I'm sorry" with your hands?

Beware those blind spots, folks.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Glad everything turned out for the better. I think riders have to really understand that after close calls you have to gather yourself as fast as you can. Even if you have to pull over until your heart goes back into your chest.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's strange, but neither incident registered fear.
The slippery turn had me anxious about the bike getting hurt, but not a whiff of fear of personal injury.

A man's got to have his priorities.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think riders have to really understand that after close calls you have to gather yourself as fast as you can. Even if you have to pull over until your heart goes back into your chest.
Or you get the contact details of the blonde convertible driver .....

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I'm a novice rider but this is a story a more experienced guy told me that convinced me he was a genius, or else, a VERY good rider.

Hopefully I don't screw it up in the re-telling.

He SAW oil on a cloverleaf. So what he did was brake hard BEFORE going through it and stood the bike up before letting go of the brake to go through it, wetting only the CENTER part of the tire. (STanding it up also put him dangerously closer to the outside of the lane)

He then re-LEANED the bike over HARD putting the mostly DRY sidewall of the tire against the remaining asphalt.

He said it slipped once the first time the tire went around but he didn't eat chit.

I thought that took remarkable presence of mind to come up with that strategy, and of course, his speed was low enough that he managed to pull it off.

I"m glad you're ok. You're obviously a pretty good rider too, although I also give you a FAIL for not getting the blonde's #.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
.........................I was turning right, into a cloverleaf entrance to a major expressway, followed by an attractive blond in a Dodge convertible.................

I'm glad you are "ok"..............but there's your FIRST mistake.......you were looking!

-Soupy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts