Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never really been one to believe in things like, the universe is trying to tell you not to do something but maybe it is.
I’t’s been a difficult road for me, no pun intended, just getting my license. Just like everything else in my life, it had to be more complicated and lengthy than it should have been. I’ve been looking at motorcycles for at least 6 months. I have restrictions because I can’t ride more than a couple of hours in a car to look at and/or buy a motorcycle. I am not inviting a lecture here about riding a motorcycle and ,”if you can’t sit in a car, how will you ride a motorcycle.”

Anyway, there is also not a being in the universe who is willing to go for me, even for money. My parents have offered to go and look for me but they aren’t going to drive a motorcycle back in a trailer. I also don’t have a pickup and/or trailer to get a motorcycle in for service, nor do I know anyone who does and even if i did, as I stated, for whatever reason, when it comes to me, people are unwilling to help. This goes for everything, not just this situation.
So, I something that should have been enjoyable has just been immensely frustrating. Maybe the universe is telling me not to do this. Or, maybe people are just selfish, uncaring MFs. Whatever the case, I’m just disgusted and it doesn’t seem like it’s worth the aggravation anymore. Given that this is not the first post that I’ve written like this, there must be some truth to it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Well, I hate to agree because the more motorcycles out there, the better, BUT it does seem like you are encountering roadblocks everywhere you turn with this. I have very much felt that way at times in my life and believe that everything happens for a reason. Might not be a reason I like or understand but a reason, nonetheless.

With cold weather not too far away, perhaps it is for the best to just take a step back, wait patiently, and see what Spring brings! Nothing wrong with staying on the site and learning, contributing, asking questions, etc.

<No lecture intended!>

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
It is possible it was not meant to be, for you.
However, you can do a lot of research on the computer. A bus can take you places, and bring you home. A reliable bike can get you home, if you already have the riding skills.
If God or the universe is testing you, then it is with a sense of humour I believe.

Many things, to do with bikes, can go to hell in a hand basket. After many many years, we learn to fix it, and carry on. Not easy for a newbie.

I often think about Rachmaninoff after his first piano concerto. It was a disaster, and he spent three years severely depressed.
Listening to his brilliant second piano concerto is illuminating.

UK

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
But it has been suggested several times that you fill in your profile with YOUR LOCATION, the town and state you live in!
If you did, you might get help from someone on here who lives near you.
But I've been reading your posts on here for quite some time and still have no idea where you are.

I really hope you change your mind about giving up. You will be missing a lifetime of fun that can be had on two wheels.

·
American Legion Rider
25,895 Posts
Offcenter said:
Adding to what you said.
How's that saying go, about not being able to help those that can't help themselves. There's a reason there is a requirement to add your location and other information in an introduction when you join this site. So the ability to help yourself starts there...here. I've seen your posts Offcenter, asking for the location of Mils and it has gone unanswered.

So rather than condemn the motorcycle community maybe you should look closer to home for solutions to your problems. I understand not wanting to give your exact address but that's not what has been asked for. Just your general location.

Several times when I had the time I wanted to do some looking for you myself for any motorcycles in your area, but where is that. Now I sit here wondering whether to go ahead and post this or not since it sounds negative and like I'm lecturing. However, I think I will as it might help another newbie understand why there are certain requirements in an introduction when joining.

This will likely not help Mils unfortunately since the mind has already been made up there. Sorry but this is how I feel about this whole situation. Help yourself before condemning someone or something else. So I sincerely hope this helps SOMEONE. And I'm sorry Mils for sounding like I'm lecturing you bu I truly think the folks here have tried to help you but you have crippled them immensely.

I'd almost bet money someone would have offered to physically go look at a motorcycle and maybe even offer to trailer one to you if they just knew where your general location was. No guarantee of that but we'll never know now. And I doubt that would happen now anyway.

Folks here have feelings too. Dang, this really does sound like a rant now.:crying: Oh well. Maybe it will help someone like I stated above.:angel:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
But it has been suggested several times that you fill in your profile with YOUR LOCATION, the town and state you live in!
If you did, you might get help from someone on here who lives near you.
But I've been reading your posts on here for quite some time and still have no idea where you are.
I have to agree. Hard to help someone when you don't know what part of the country you're in, or at least a state for that matter. For all we know, you could be a Soviet communist just pretending to be an American. People have done stranger things. There's people on this forum from all over the country, no one needs your address, but knowing what state your in might help in others offering you some kind of assistance.

Reactions: MGRIDER and Porky

·
Registered
432 Posts
I’ve never really been one to believe in things like, the universe is trying to tell you not to do something but maybe it is. ... I’m just disgusted and it doesn’t seem like it’s worth the aggravation anymore. Given that this is not the first post that I’ve written like this, there must be some truth to it.
Frustration usually comes when we aren't reaching a goal -- the question is, what is your goal. If the goal is to be an accomplished, skilled and experienced biker; that just doesn't happen for any of us very quickly -- for some of us, that is decades of effort. For the vast majority of us, this is a recreation -- implicitly, if each step along the way doesn't have some recreational qualities, we're not meeting an intermittent goal... unlike so many (digital) recreations, motorcycling is one of those pastimes that has certain rite(s) of passage -- for some of us many of the steps come easily, but equally many of us have to work at every step along the way... the fact that is is taxing, challenging, maybe pricey, and maybe we don't have sufficient skills to be at the top of the heap shouldn't surprise a realist -- but one thing is for sure, the universe isn't against us; in fact it doesn't even know we're here, or care... much of motorcycling is competing against our-self (oh, we assign fellow riders as proxies -- but most of know who we're simply trying to best, ourselves...). Unless motorcycling is simply unsafe for us (can one ride a bicycle -- serious question), it can be done...

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
I wouldn't give up altogether, but sometimes it's best to just step back and take a breather. Try again a little later.

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
I'm usually easy going and more than happy to help but this came damn close to setting me off when I first saw it, i waited a day to respond till I wasn't upset.

I'm still annoyed.

A whole group of the beings in THIS universe have been offering to help you, trying to help, and asking for the information to help you out, and all you do is whine and complain and not give the information we have asked for. I tried myself and was ignored. How do you expect to get help if your obnoxious and uncooperative? No wonder no one wants to help you when you need it, you drive them away.

If you had cooperated and it turned out that you were anywhere near my area I would have been the first one to offer to check out a bike, go look at it for you or with you, and possibly help you get it home. For no charge, no cost, just to help someone get started and headed in the right direction. I've helped people before and I would have been happy to help you too.
No longer...
Consider me one of those selfish, uncaring MFs as far as your concerned, I am NOT going to be helping you.

For anyone else, the offer still stands.

I’ve never really been one to believe in things like, the universe is trying to tell you not to do something but maybe it is.
I’t’s been a difficult road for me, no pun intended, just getting my license. Just like everything else in my life, it had to be more complicated and lengthy than it should have been. I’ve been looking at motorcycles for at least 6 months. I have restrictions because I can’t ride more than a couple of hours in a car to look at and/or buy a motorcycle. I am not inviting a lecture here about riding a motorcycle and ,”if you can’t sit in a car, how will you ride a motorcycle.”

Anyway, there is also not a being in the universe who is willing to go for me, even for money. My parents have offered to go and look for me but they aren’t going to drive a motorcycle back in a trailer. I also don’t have a pickup and/or trailer to get a motorcycle in for service, nor do I know anyone who does and even if i did, as I stated, for whatever reason, when it comes to me, people are unwilling to help. This goes for everything, not just this situation.
So, I something that should have been enjoyable has just been immensely frustrating. Maybe the universe is telling me not to do this. Or, maybe people are just selfish, uncaring MFs. Whatever the case, I’m just disgusted and it doesn’t seem like it’s worth the aggravation anymore. Given that this is not the first post that I’ve written like this, there must be some truth to it.

Reactions: MGRIDER

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mils,
Even if you throw in the towel on getting a bike, your future will continue to be a failure unless you change your attitude.
Your view of the world and other people is the real stumbling block here.
It’s self imposed.
Go back and read your old posts. You will see how negatively you view others.
You're young and have your whole life ahead of you.
Change your attitude and everything will go smoother for you.
I really hope you stick around and get a bike.
Quitting is never good and always brings regret.
Don't give up.
Let's get you on a bike and give you the encouragement you need.
Please take this with the spirit it was given.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well you crossed the first hurdle.
You got your MSF course done
You got your license
So you have achieved something.

Throw in the towel if it’s what you want to do. I threw mine in many years ago, so why not.

Winter is coming most riders are thinking about putting bikes away till next year.
Your options are open.
Pick up the towel again next year or not. Take a break and see how you feel if something comes up closer to home.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
229 Posts
Some of you are getting a little too emotional over this thread. I don't think Mills is complaining about the people on this forum not helping her. Just saying.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
669 Posts
My road to riding was long. I used to ride along time ago. Mostly dirt bikes, off road. Then wanted to get into legal street riding. I had a 250 for a short time, never got my license, and when that was sold got away from riding. Life happened.

Fast forward to the recent chapter of life, I'm now single, kids are on their own, so I decided to get back to it. I spent almost a year deciding what bike to get. Some would come up for sale and someting wasn't right. Bank account balance, or something else happening. Id stop looking for a few weeks pr months then look some more. Then one day I came across one and everything was right do I got it.

Then came getting some gear and getting a license. That got delayed. The classes were full for awhile, my grandson was with me for awhile, and other things. I put it on a trailer and took it to parking lots for practice. It was seeming like I would never get my license. I finally found an opening to a class, and a couple of days before it was scheduled I was in a bad car wreck. I had to postpone the class several times. It was still seeming like I would never get there

But, I stayed focused and determined. The lady scheduling the class worked with me and was very cooperative and understanding.

Class day finally came, I did it, and the next Monday afternoon I got my license.

It's up to you. If you are determined to get a bike and ride you can do it. It's like everything in life, it's up to you what you accomplish or don't accomplish. Share more info. If your near me I'll go with you and of your somewhere else, I'll look and see what I can see online in your area. PM me with info if you don't want to share publicly.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts