Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit I never have gotten myself to wear motorcycle pants. I've had a few but they seem to be such a pain to get on and off, get too hot in the summer, and being short but having a, um.. full waist size, the armor in the knees usually ends up around my shins. As to jackets, I have several including a 30 year old First Gear leather jacket, a fairly heavy textile jacket, and a mesh jacket for when it really gets hot. But I am thinking about getting new gear, and hoping to find something that more or less meets all of my needs in one package. I want to be able to leave the rain suit at home. I want something that has a liner that can be removed so that I am ok if the temps drop down. I want a jacket especially that allows enough air flow in the summer that I don't feel compelled to ride with just a t-shirt and jeans. Right now I am thinking about the First Gear Katmandu jacket and pants, but part of me worries that as soon as the temps go over about 85 I will again feel that I am roasting alive on the Wing and end up riding without protection just to keep relatively cool. And unless I keep the gear on, I have to leave half my luggage space available to store the gear when it gets too hot. I'm hoping for some suggestions. Being short (5'7") and with a 40 inch waist doesn't help either in finding stuff that fits.

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
I actually like full leather pants but you are right, I can only wear them during the fall winter and spring. Come summer I have to hang them up. Anything over about 78º. But if I could wear them year round I would though.

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
It seems we need gear for at least three seasons, with a bit of crossover to add up to four.
For pants I go to the marine chandlery. They have bib pants, and pants that go to the waist. Today I had on long johns, sweat pants and lined bib pants. Soon the bib pants get parked and I wear the waist high, and much lighter pants. These are okay for freeway rider in the summer, although sometimes I just wear high spats / gaters.
Winter time I wear an oiled cotton jacket with a warm liner, as it could rain at any time. It is big enough to put on plenty of gear underneath. Next will be the fabric Alpinestars jacked, then the leather one, without the liner for summer use. Lastly, and oiled cotton Barbour jacket. Boats and gloves also get changed.

Unkle Krusty

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
It seems we need gear for at least three seasons, with a bit of crossover to add up to four.
For pants I go to the marine chandlery. They have bib pants, and pants that go to the waist. Today I had on long johns, sweat pants and lined bib pants. Soon the bib pants get parked and I wear the waist high, and much lighter pants. These are okay for freeway rider in the summer, although sometimes I just wear high spats / gaters.
Winter time I wear an oiled cotton jacket with a warm liner, as it could rain at any time. It is big enough to put on plenty of gear underneath. Next will be the fabric Alpinestars jacked, then the leather one, without the liner for summer use. Lastly, and oiled cotton Barbour jacket. Boats and gloves also get changed.

Unkle Krusty
So you have summer boats and winter boats. That must get expensive. :grin::grin::grin:

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
I have a pair of army boots in leather, a pair of rubber rain boots, and a lighter weight pair of leather boots, all for the same price as a good pair of motorcycle riding boots. About $250- Plus I have felt lined rubber boots for really cold weather, and a light weight pair of leather summer boots for above 90. All collected over many year. The Barbour jacket was purchased in 1971. And, I have many pairs of gloves, the thickest and warmest from the outdoor store, the and lightest from the horsey tack store. Plus, I have rain covers for the leather boots and gloves from the outdoor store. And plus also, neck noggin and face scarves / hoods.

I have a pair of leather pants, and leather chaps.

Unkle Krusty

·
Registered
25 Posts
Which bike gear works best is always going to be a subjective question. There are many factors to consider cost, comfort, wet weather, cold and hot weather. I and many other riders have different jackets and pants for different weather conditions, however if I could only have one set of biking clothes I would choose Gore tex jack, pants and boots. The Jack and pants would have zip out thermal liners with vents on the outside of the garments. I also buy a size to larger than I need which looks awful, but means that I can layer up in winter and have a cool circulation of air in the summer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts