Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1983 Suzuki gs550e

Left carb vent line is going to left side of bottom of air box(just disconnected gas came pouring out)
Right carb vent line going nowhere
Engine vent line going to right side of bottom of air box anyone have this bike can you send me a few pics,tried using manual but it's not all that great on how carb lines are routed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I Figured out why bike flooded when first got it running after sitting,I left it on prime,but every other bike I had had a gravity fed line so what's the difference

·
Vintage Rider
420 Posts
Your petcock has three positions: Reserve, Prime, and On.

Prime: This is the position you would use only if your carburetor bowl is empty, and that usually only happens after the bike has been sitting unused for a long time - like over the winter. You should NOT run normally with the petcock set to Prime, because it lets gas flow to the carb freely - whether the engine is running or not. It is to be used for priming the carburetor bowl only. Leaving it on prime is the same as the old non vacuum type left on all the time, causing the possibility of filling the crankcase with gas as well as running fuel all over the floor of your garage.

On: This is the setting you should use regularly. It is enabled by a vacuum-operated diaphragm, so it only allows fuel to flow when the engine is running. When the engine isn't running, the diaphragm is closed. Therefore, no fuel will flow from the tank to the carb. This removes the often forgotten step of closing the petcock on a vintage bike, with the 3 positions of Off, On and Reserve

Reserve: This setting works almost like the ON setting. It is enabled by a vacuum-operated diaphragm as well. The only difference is that it uses a different fuel pickup tube whose opening is lower in the tank, therefore it can access the last bit of available gasoline.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leaking petcock

Pet is dribbling gas out on on and just coming out on prime,spring,o ring and diafram seem ok,cleaned out passage hole for vacc,but might have order a diafram I guess,I know I spelled diafram wrong

·
Vintage Rider
420 Posts
Pet is dribbling gas out on on and just coming out on prime.....
It's supposed to flow continuously through the petcock in prime. But you should fix your carburetor float valve or float height adjustment if it's coming out the vent tube. Reread my post. Quite using prime unless you haven't ridden the bike in several months, and leave the petcock in the on position. It will then shut off when engine isn't running. (because there's NO vacuum to open it.) if it is functioning as designed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Petcock

My bad I meant to say gas was coming out of the on position(very slightly)and faster in the reserve position,anyway I found out today the previous owner had one of the vent or overflow lines going into the air box,that is the kind of issues I have,anyway carb cleaning next week and take apart stuck clutch plates and should be good to go,thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaned carbs today looked fairly clean, but she still isn't getting gas ,getting ready to dig a hole and bury this frigin thing,had it running till motor flooded with gas,she has good spark and will try and start but is starving for fuel
Piece of sh..

·
Vintage Rider
420 Posts
....and now you know why I got rid of all my 4 cyl bikes. With ethanol only available here and 4 carbs, you can make a career out of cleaning carbs.
If your tank is even somewhat rusty, be sure to use filters before the carbs, or you'll never get ahead of it. Are you verifying that all jets are visually clean and float levels correct?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just sold the thing,worst bike I ever had to work on at least I got it running,think I will stick honda's or easy bikes like Harley's Thanks to the help from this forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts