Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I foolishly bought an already outdated model of the Zumo from Garmin (the 220) and have never been very happy with it. The screen washes out in bright sunlight (despite Garmin claims to the contrary), there is no way to download routes planned on your PC, and audio volume is far too low to use on a motorcycle at any reasonable speed. I find I use this GPS pretty much for just one thing: when I get lost I hit the button marked "Go Home" and it gets me there. So now I find myself thinking about a new GPS. Looking at the latest Garmin models I read about some rider frustrations combined with a very high price. Looking at the TomToms the price is more reasonable, but user reviews are not very positive. Anyone with advice and recommendations?

·
American Legion Rider
21,150 Posts
If you have a iPhone use Scout. For about $200 it's hard to beat a TomTom Rider. And about the tops is Zumo 550 but that's over $700. I don't know if Scout is available for other phones but there is a good chance. That or some other app. I use Scout and find it is better than my wife's Garmin for what ever that's worth. I can't see the screen but the voice commands work fine for me. If I really get lost I'll stop and look at the screen. Chances are I need a break away.:D

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,818 Posts
use the GPS on your phone, if you have a Bluetooth helmet you can do a turn by turn direction anywhere without having to look once.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
use the GPS on your phone, if you have a Bluetooth helmet you can do a turn by turn direction anywhere without having to look once.
Agreed.
I tried using my Garmin, but I found trying to focus on the screen while on a motorcycle was not always a good idea. I've been using one of the GPS apps that came with my phone. But I'd imagine there's probably better ones out there better suited for riding. It also saved me having to link another device to my Bluetooth and keep it charged.

·
7,481 Posts
I own a consumer electronics business and we have sold countless GPS units to customer's so I have tried out many different brands and types.

I have tried to use the typical (Cheap) car GPS units, that seem to only show up good when the unit is in the shade, which is useless for a bike. I just sometimes carry it and if I ever do get lost, which I doubt, being a man with a full tank of gas;) I can just turn it on and hold it in the shade, get my directions and scoot!

Really, the only way to go is to bite the bullet and purchase a real MOTORCYCLE GPS unit, with the features designed for a bike, with a VERY bright screen, sound, Radar detector and lifetime free map updates.

I carry the latest IPhone but rarely use it to get my bearings.

Sam:smiley_drinkcoffee:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts