Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get my first helmet soon and have a low budget of $150. I was looking at Bikebandit and i really like the AFX FX-37 dual sport helmet but i was just wandering if AFX is a reputible company and are trust worthy for a first timer. the helmet is DOT and ECE approved and costs $125.96 on bandit

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I am going to get my first helmet soon and have a low budget of $150. I was looking at Bikebandit and i really like the AFX FX-37 dual sport helmet but i was just wandering if AFX is a reputible company and are trust worthy for a first timer. the helmet is DOT and ECE approved and costs $125.96 on bandit
AFX is fine....

The thing with helmets is fit is hard to tell. Ive got a small helmet collection going......once I finally found a company that makes a helmet shaped to fit my head I stuck with them.....in 4 years of riding Ive never had a great helmet till I happened on them. In fact because of that Ive never wore a helmet much.....now I wear it all the time.

The company I buy from is Z1R.

Until you start spending big bucks I dont think theres a lick of difference between them in protection......its probably all in the vents and fit.

Read the reviews on the helmets from other buyers. If Bike Bandit doesnt do that try Motorcycle Super Store......even if you buy somewhere else you can read the reviews there.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
There are a few bike shops around town that might sell AFX helmets. I'd try a few on in person to make sure the fit is right, then you can save a few bucks by purchasing online

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I agree with going to a shop and trying on the helmets you might like, but then consider offering the on-line price with some allowance for shipping to the dealer who's inventory you used to find the fit. Quite often you can make the deal, telling them you'd rather buy there.

After all, how would you like it if you had a bike for sale, someone came around and you let them ride it - then they said thanks, there was one just like it for less money a hundred miles away and they were going to go buy it... then left. Wouldn't you at least want a chance to make the sale?

By the way, I will say fit is definitely THE most subjective part of helmets. Each person is different.

Also, I've seen a lot of praise for the AFX FX37 on the ADVrider forum. Most problems focused on fit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad I happened on this. I too am looking at AFX helmets since they fit my price range. I just need something that protects my noggin and has some air vents and I found one at Dennis Kirk for the right price and look. Fit is a bit finicky as I have a smaller head and need to wear glasses.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I agree with going to a shop and trying on the helmets you might like, but then consider offering the on-line price with some allowance for shipping to the dealer who's inventory you used to find the fit. Quite often you can make the deal, telling them you'd rather buy there.

After all, how would you like it if you had a bike for sale, someone came around and you let them ride it - then they said thanks, there was one just like it for less money a hundred miles away and they were going to go buy it... then left. Wouldn't you at least want a chance to make the sale?

By the way, I will say fit is definitely THE most subjective part of helmets. Each person is different.

Also, I've seen a lot of praise for the AFX FX37 on the ADVrider forum. Most problems focused on fit.
For once I will agree with you here Mark :) Find a place locally that sells them, go try one and and find the right size, also look around you might find something that fits you better or you like better, then hit the internet and find the cheapest price. Just make sure it has the safety rating that you are comfortable with whether it be DOT, or DOT and SNELL.(I'm not about to try and start that argument up again, thats why I said "whatever you are comfortable with")

·
Registered
141 Posts
My first helmet was a $60 AFX helmet with a matte black finish ( really dont remember the model specifically ) but it was DOT approved, fit well and true to size on the chart and worked fine for my first season. A lil noisy but at 60 bucks I didn't complain.
Picked up an Icon Airframe helmet to replace it this season and so far I'm looooving my new lid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts