1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
I hate those things, but these seem simpler

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
I'm not sure I even care for TPMS. This Indian has it and to watch the pressure change is wild. Scary wild. I've already gone to just seeing how close my handy dial gauge is compared to what the TPMS says. I was surprised the pressures don't change the same but they don't. And they change fast too. I get off that screen just as fast.:D

·
Registered
886 Posts
I won't spend the $129.99 dollars for something that I can check in less than five minutes with a tire gauge that costs around ten bucks, plus you stay more in tune or "one" with your bike if you are into that "Zen of Motorcycling" thing. In other words too much technology just puts us farther away.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me clarify. If I was towing a trailer WITH MY car I would absolutely put a TPMS on the trailer wheels.

YOu simply screw these on instead of valve caps and you can read the pressure headed down the highway.

A tire guage is NO replacement for a TPMS; you pick up a nail and get a slow leak you're headed for a blowout. On a trailer there is NO way you can feel the tire getting soft/squirrely, esp if it's a tandem.

It seems most drivers can't either, based on the # of blown out tires I change on the side of the road.

$100 to prevent a blowout and ALL the damage that can result, much less flipping a trailer or wrecking seems like a bargain.

I know this is the Luddite peanut gallery but do you guys resist EVERYTHING that can make a bike/car safer?

I happen to LOVE the TPMS on my Kawasaki.... except for replacing those $$$ sensors every 3 years...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
When your trip includes almost a thousand miles of gravel with a lot of sharp shale a TPMS is a good thing to have.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
wadenelson said:
I know this is the Luddite peanut gallery but do you guys resist EVERYTHING that can make a bike/car safer?
Not this time. I think these for a trailer is a very good idea. I've had a blow out on one. I soon found out why there are so many gaters on the road. I donated to the cause that day as well.:D Would the TPMS change what I did? Nope. I was between towns and didn't have a spare. I was more worried that the remaining tire would hold and a TPMS would probably made that worse though.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
No, but I don't like to spend money on something I don't need. If I were frequently dragging around a trailer it might be a useful thing to have, but there's never been a time on a bike that it would have done anything for me. I know when my tires are getting weak.

Okay, that should actually read: "I don't like to spend money on something I don't need just because it's new and shiny and interesting." Usually.

Other then a tool or something maybe.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I happen to LOVE the TPMS on my Kawasaki.... except for replacing those $$$ sensors every 3 years...
You'd be amazed at the number of cars that come in with the low tire illuminated and the owner just doesn't care.

Yes there are rare instances where TPMS is useful, no I don't want or need it. Personally, I can feel when a tire is under-inflated, both in my truck and on my bike, slow leaks aren't the problem, rapid deflation is, and TPMS won't help you when you're doing 70 and blow a tire.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Eye, some of my most useful and cherished tools are a couple of wrenches that my father owned. Both are adjustable wrenches, one is 16", the other 10", both are brown having lost their shiny chrome probably before I was old enough to use them. My opinion is they are still better than any new ones. In fact my father was going to throw them away because of them not being shiny, I took them as starting plumbing work I didn't care if they were shiny and they were free. As for Wade's luddite comment, all that is new is not necessarily better, complication is not progress, just more complicated. Remember when most people could do minor repairs on most things they owned?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just because a Snap-On ratchet just off the truck is "new and shiny" doesn't mean it isn't a damn fine wrench, does it?

Slow leaks aren't the problem, rapid deflation is, and TPMS won't help you when you're doing 70 and blow a tire.
You're dead wrong. Turns out slow leaks ARE the problem ....

>Most flat tires (and tire "blowouts") are the result of slow leaks that go unnoticed and allow the tire's air pressure to escape over time. (The Tire Rack.com)

>Without proper air pressure, the internal components of the tire—fabric, steel, rubber, and composites—flex beyond their designed limits. What happens is much like bending a length of wire: Manipulate the metal long and far enough and it will overheat and snap. Try it with an old-style wire clothes hanger. (Warning: The failure point will be skin-burning hot.) Without proper air pressure, the tire's internal pieces will overflex, weaken, and, eventually, fail. (from Popular Mechanics)

>One of the most common causes of tire failure is underinflation Tires that are underinflated experience excessive flexing in the sidewalls which causes them to run dangerously hot, especially at highway speeds during hot weather. The buildup of heat can lead to tread separation or a sudden blowout.

$100 to avoid THIS seems like a bargain (to me..)

or THIS

Ya screw on a couple of replacement valve cap senders, plug the widget in your cigarette lighter and you've got TPMS.

the motorcycle models have handlebar mounts:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
That back up sequence has me seeing double.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
How did we ever survive without all these electronic gadgets (toys)?

I would rather spend that money on something useful, like bath soap and food.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Ah come on Rollin'. There's plenty of room on the right side on the shoulder. After he gets the horse under control after that he'll probably move over and stay there too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts