Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, as some of you remember I bought a brand new Suzuki SV650 a couple weeks ago. I love the bike but there is one thing that could be alittle better. The stock exhaust can is too big. Plus the engine sounds beautiful but the stock can prevents that sexy sound from being heard. My question is: Will putting an aftermarket slip on exhaust void my warranty?

·
10,756 Posts
The Kawasaki dealer asked if I wanted a different exhaust when I bought my Ninja and they said it would do nothing to the warranty. I do not know about Suzuki, but the best place for you to ask is the dealer you bought it from.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
IIRC, No, it's illegal for a vehicle to have it's warranty voide by aftermarket parts with the stipulation that they are installed properly and they aren't damaging to the vehicle which any name brand exhaust shouldn't be....this doesn't mean you won't have to tune your bike still after removing the cat

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
The only way it can can void the warranty is if it causes direct damage. For example, a new exhaust installed and the fueling not adjusted allows it to run lean. If this causes the engine to melt down they do not have to pay for it. But if the oil pump craps out and kills the engine, that has nothing to do with the aftermarket exhaust system, and they cannot deny the claim because of it.

The law that concerns this is the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. It also stipulates things like adding an aftermarket radio or windshield wipers cannot void the warranty of something like the shock absorbers. It sounds obvious, but back in the days before the law there were shady dealers, manufacturers, and mechanincs that would use any excuse at all to get out from doing warranty work. Any non-authorized changes to a product gave them an excuse to void the entire warranty. This also concerns non-vehicle products as well. Like hooking up a Sony DVD player to a Samsung TV cannnot void the warranty on either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
The only way it can can void the warranty is if it causes direct damage. For example, a new exhaust installed and the fueling not adjusted allows it to run lean. If this causes the engine to melt down they do not have to pay for it. But if the oil pump craps out and kills the engine, that has nothing to do with the aftermarket exhaust system, and they cannot deny the claim because of it.

The law that concerns this is the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. It also stipulates things like adding an aftermarket radio or windshield wipers cannot void the warranty of something like the shock absorbers. It sounds obvious, but back in the days before the law there were shady dealers, manufacturers, and mechanincs that would use any excuse at all to get out from doing warranty work. Any non-authorized changes to a product gave them an excuse to void the entire warranty. This also concerns non-vehicle products as well. Like hooking up a Sony DVD player to a Samsung TV cannnot void the warranty on either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

I was on my phone earlier and was having trouble finding a good site that explained the magnus moss act, seems you beat me to the punch but here is another site explaining it http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stock can is welded on. You have to cut like 2 inches behind the collector then the aftermarket can comes with a midpipe thats basically and adaptor then some clamps and brackets then you're done.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Okay so for my bike, you need to cut the stock can off. Is that concidered damaging the bike?
Well, it will certainly void the warranty on the stock exhaust system itself. But if the aftermarket exhaust is installed correctly and all proper adjustments made for it to run properly, the rest of the bike warranty will not be voided.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts