Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my computer changed from Windows XP to Windows 7. We were worried about security breaches with the old operating system,but now If I log in to this forum for 1/2 hour,it gobbles up a 10.33% of my allowable 3 gigabyte allowance.

This is about 10 times the expected rate of consumption based on what my past usage has been.

I am thinking that while I am online that my computer is busy looking up performance upgrades, because the next time I start it up,the upgrades load up.

I know less than nothing about what to do about the problem or even if I am on the right track.

Posting this at the library with a bunch of noisy kids about.........

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Ok, I had a similar problem, first time I used the iphone 4s as a personal hotspot via usb cable.
My 3 Gb went in about 5 days !
After a lot of googling, I found out that the phone , was updating all kinds of rubbish I will never need, all on its own.
Anyway, I had to go through ALL the menus, and turn loads of stuff off.
You would think, that everything would be connected, so you click on :
TURN OFF AUTO UPDATE...
But no, I had to go into each and every APP thing, and turn em off , one by one.
Now it seems to be working, as normal.
Hope this helps a bit !

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,844 Posts
Windows 7 has been out for a while so what is happening is your computer is bringing itself up to date. Once it is current it will do it once a week as the updates come out. It should settle out

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
My LIFETIME experience owning/using/programming computers is that whenever you are FORCED to upgrade to a newer OS you're far better off just to buy new hardware with the new OS pre-installed.

Speed, crashes, incompatibility, memory consumption, excuses from the mfrs & software vendors...the list is endless.

C

·
0 Posts
Ok, I had a similar problem, first time I used the iphone 4s as a personal hotspot via usb cable.
My 3 Gb went in about 5 days !
After a lot of googling, I found out that the phone , was updating all kinds of rubbish I will never need, all on its own.
Anyway, I had to go through ALL the menus, and turn loads of stuff off.
You would think, that everything would be connected, so you click on :
TURN OFF AUTO UPDATE...
But no, I had to go into each and every APP thing, and turn em off , one by one.
Now it seems to be working, as normal.
Hope this helps a bit !
Even though you're talking about cell phones your right. Turning off auto updates and such will make a big difference. I usually update once a week manually.

After I do an upgrade, the 1st thing I do is manually download all the updates. Also, going threw all your settings and by disabling unneeded apps will help. If you're using a phone, it helps with phone battery life. For example, manual checking you email conserves on battery life and also conserves on bandwidth.

Your computer should not use that much bandwidth. I would go threw everything and see what is going on. I do not have access to your computer and not able to see how you have things set up.

Wade is also correct in his thoughts to a point. Usually upgrading your computer also helps but in some cases not needed if you set your computer up right. That depends on your computer specs.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update

I have to save all the bandwith I have,so I am replying from the library.What I will do is take the laptop daughter's boyfriend who set it all up. They have unlimited internet at a college campus,so hopefully they can skate on the WiFi and not use any more bandwidth to fix this stuff.

The old reliable computer will have to be a word processor from this point forward. I have a 3.000 gigabyte allowance,and a quick log on to an secure site to pay my bills resulted in .250 of use, so with 3 bill pay sessions per month,I am looking at using almost a third of my 'stuff'

I miss you guys and this website and it sucks having to go to the library to see what is happening. I will update when I know more.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Turning off auto-updates will certainly help curb your computers appetite, but don't forget to check/update periodically!
I've help fix friends computers that had 100's of updates 'pending' because they turned off auto-updates YEARS ago when they bought the PC & never updated a thing..

If it's a laptop you can always take it to a public wifi hotspot for updates, but that can be risky. And those places usually have limited/throttled wifi.

I'd bite the bullet & let the auto-updated get you caught up, after that the megs usage should be minimal.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
I had a similar issue once, though it was not a case of using too much bandwidth, but hogging my entire connection.

What happened is that I downloaded a game through Steam called War Thunder. It downloaded just fine, and played just fine. Zero issues. Then it came time for it to update. SWEET MOTHER OF LUNA! The damn game suddenly hogged every bit of my internet connection. It was so bad, that my roommate couldn't even access Xbox Live from the 360, or connect to any websites on his computer. I could not either. Once I uninstalled the game, everything went back to normal.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been looking all over to try and find more bandwidth for cheap. What I have now is Verizon Wireless hotspot and it worked fine before with AdBlocker installed. No,i could not surf youtube and the DrudgeReport probably used a little too much with all their pesky ads that wanted to run anyway even with adBlocker.

I live in an internet desert as far as using cable connections to get cheap bandwidth. I can go to a small town library that the signal stays pretty much inside the building because of its isolated location. I was told that DSL might work out OK,but where I live it is a DSL desert. I can,however, pee off the back porch without disturbing the neighbors.

I am thinking that paying bills 3 times a month to save the 35.00 I am paying for 3 GB is what is gonna happen for now. No way the private hotspot justifies this cost. I do own a house 2 miles away in a little village that has some sort of cable service available,so maybe I can go there to check the cost.

I was using the laptop to surf at McDees today and right in the middle of things the computer shut down and installed some updates. So it is automatic and probably is searching for updates daily. I will say that this Dell Latitude E5500 is very fast. Heavy as a beast,but fast.

I think that I will pay some bills from home on the laptop and see how much the usage is as it makes sense that perhaps the computer will not use so much since being used pretty heavily at the library.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Windows 7 has been out for a while so what is happening is your computer is bringing itself up to date. Once it is current it will do it once a week as the updates come out. It should settle out
We paid some bills last night and used very little bandwidth,so that supports your argument. The computer did 2 updates yesterday while at a public Wi-fi.

Posting this from home so we will see how much it uses today....

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
My computer is set so that it asks me if I want to update. I can then wait until our "free" time, 1:00 to 5:00 a.m., to update if they are really big. Maybe yours can be set that way too.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final report. Everything is cool and back to normal. The laptop is just sipping lightly at the bandwidth. Daughter's boyfriend got us this heavy duty laptop for Christmas. Its former life as a commercial grade laptop that sat around for a while before he re-configured it. It now makes sense that it had a lot updates to download.

A few sessions at the library and McDonalds Wi-Fi and it is up to date. I really like it now. Blazing fast compared to the old XP computer.

Critter had it spot on. Thanks,guys :coffee:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
computers are dedundant.

there are two ways to do that.
1. take everything and compare it to the condition, or
2. take the condition and compare it to everything.

I prefer the latter because most of the time, it doesn't take everything.

bandwidth is used when the com is requesting huge tuples of info, and code like when you get a new OS or program and it is downloading security and patches. usually in a few days it will go away.

I had a 95 IBM that was online all the time. I used a set of programs to clean it all up so it would maintain a good bandwidth. One day I was reading a page, and the system just slowed to a crawl. I reinstalled everything thinking I had overloaded the poor little 90mhz CPU and 64 megs of mem. When it came back on, it was still crawling. I disconnected the phone line and in about 2 days it came back to the same blistering 114000 baud monster it was. I guess that probably a hacker tagged me so they could use my connection on the internet and all I would have had to do is -

stay offline and disconnect the router for a couple days

It will probably fix itself, and save you a bundle in time and soul searching.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Another thing to watch out for is "cloud-based" applications! A LOT of the new programs are "cloud-based" so they don't store data on your hard drive where it is quick and easy to get at but out somewhere on the Internet. That means every time you want to access that information, it has to download it again and then save it back to the Internet - that all takes processor time and bandwidth.

I have deleted some software (like Adobe Acrobat) because it went cloud-based, increased the CPU workload, and drove up my bandwidth use.

Cloud based has one advantage - being able to access you data from anywhere - but it also exposes your data to exploitation by anyone on the net and loss of data if the "cloud server" goes down.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Lap top

I remember paying $2,500- for a lap top. Years later I bought an Acer for a lot less. Gave it away. Bought an HP something and it ran fine, but the sound output quit and it was no good for streaming sports. So I bought the one I am tapping on for under $300- It is an HP Stream. Has Windows 10. It got a little confused after doing updates. I had to tell it to go back in time to when it worked. Since then no worries, other than learning about ten. I have it plugged into the big screen. Great for watching movies and sports. The puter screen is 11.5 X 6.5.
For the previous lap top, I found a site with a name something like " should I delete it " You enter the file name and it tells you what it does and how valuable it might be. I dumped a bunch of junk.

Unkle Krusty*

·
7,502 Posts
After the installation of windows 7, I assume from a disk you bought so that you have a legal key number, there are tons of updates to download and this is very time consuming but it must be done not only for the drivers that windows needs that don't come on the O/S disk but to insure ALL security patches. Even after all is done, look in the 'device manager' section and see if all supported or resident hardware has a driver and no error messages and if not you made need to use a third party for drivers.

We pay about $1,500 a year in order to download all of the latest drivers.

What you are experiencing with bandwidth problems is what negatively affects the Windows 10 upgrade for most consumers that don't have extremely fact connections and lots of bandwidth.

I'm doing a Vista to 7 home premium right now and we have the fastest connections possible and it still seems like it's taking forever.

Have fun!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm just wondering WHY you're using your 'Wi-Fi' bandwidth for a laptop INSTEAD of using a 'wired' network connection? Why aren't you just 'plugging in', with a network cable, to your home 'network' instead? Do you HAVE to connect to the internet using your cell phone?

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Speed

I'm just wondering WHY you're using your 'Wi-Fi' bandwidth for a laptop INSTEAD of using a 'wired' network connection? Why aren't you just 'plugging in', with a network cable, to your home 'network' instead? Do you HAVE to connect to the internet using your cell phone?
Are you saying it would be better to be plugged in, lap top to router, than use WiFi, which is what I am doing.

Unkle Krusty*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts