Motorcycle Forum banner

Advice

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Michael Davis 
#1 ·
Hi I purchased a used 2005 American ironhorse LSC recently everything seemed fine then I went to start it the other day and it turned over a few times so I let off the start button when I did I heard a deep gurgling noise. Then when I hit the start button again it fired up and then it started to smoke like crazy so I shut it down and I noticed oil running out of the front cylinder where the exhaust comes out. I'm afraid of what I think it might be and hoping for some better news??

#7 ·
Without seeing the bike I'd say your most likely problem is a blown rocker box gasket, or a loose rocker box cover or D-ring. Any of those should be a relatively easy fix. You may have to raise the fuel tank up, but you shouldn't have to take the engine out of the frame or anything.

There's also a possibility you've got a hole in one of the parts that make up the rocker box or a crack or extreme warping or something. That would be hard to happen though without the bike getting wrecked or someone working on the engine that is a complete fool.

#8 · (Edited)
If I remember correctly, there are at least 2 BIG O-rings between the Cylinder heads and the cylinders, that allow oil to be drained from the rocker box, through the cylinder head and into the crankcase to be pumped to the oil bag:smile_big: These have been known to crack over time and in cahoots with a cylinder head that is microscopically warped, the oil drips out at the head/ cylinder junction and flows down the cylinder and can or will hit the hot exhaust pipes causing the 'smoke' situation.:grin:

Worn out 'valve guides' can allow excess oil to enter the combustion chamber and cause smoke to just pour out the exhaust:sad:

I really doubt doubt that piston rings or the cylinders are worn enough to cause the problem:smile:

Thank GOD the engine is a Harley because it is Sooooo very easy to diagnose and work on, compared to the 'Axis of evil' motors that are so complicated, with miniature parts crammed together:wink2:

If it were me, I'd call S&S customer service and see if they could help you with some advice.:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.