Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
2%er
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've started out on a Suzuki Intruder 750 which is wayyyyy too small for me (6'2" I feel like I'm folded in half while riding) looking to maybe get something new next year in the $4000 (CAD) range. Something I will keep for a long time and also something that will be good for eventually riding with my wife. I like the look of the Vulcan 1500 or 1600 (the classic style or like the bagger with the fairing maybe?) which I've read are quite roomy for taller guys. But I'm also wondering about Shadows (or maybe even VStars?) Any recommendations that I should keep an eye out for? There seem like lots of different versions of the Shadow, I'm not sure where to start. Something pretty reliable for trips and stuff. I've had a crash course in maintenance and repair with the bike I have now, so I'd be okay with something I don't have to fix every other weekend. Also maybe years to look for or avoid for any of them? Thoughts? Thanks in advance

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
The Big Vulcan will work .. V Star is not a bad choice either .. Only Shadow familiar with is the 750 and it's not much bigger than my Scout which is not a good choice for one over 6 Foot ..

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Yamaha Royal Star will fit the bill as well. Either the Tour Deluxe or the Venture.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The VL1500LC Intruders are good bang for the buck bikes as well. The last one I had was an '03 I sold for as much as I paid for it.

I'm 6'4" over 300lbs, the LC fits me great in stock form. They are also good for 2up as well.

Gas tank under the seat for even lower center of gravity, but only 4 gallons so more frequent stops are necessary.

Good luck.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
I've been very happy with my Road Star 1700. I also have a love affair with Suzuki (5 of the 8 bikes I've owned have been Suzukis), so the VL1500 was also on my list when I was looking for a big cruiser.

·
2%er
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm a little wary of another Suzuki as the one I have is always breaking (which I'm sure can be chalked up to it being abused by PO's) but if you guys think it's worth it I'll consider it definitely.

Is the VL1500LC the same as the Boulevard C90? Or better or worse or anything?

And what about a VTX? Bigger than the Shadow right? Is it a good bike?

·
8,574 Posts
On the same day, in 2009, I bought two new VTX 1300C's, one black and one Metallic Cherry. They were both excellent cruisers and aside from not being particularly fast, I like them as much or more than my past VTX1800. They sounded a lot better because the VTX1300 has a single crankpin like Harley's do. You really couldn't go wrong buying a good one. They run very well for a small V-twin. They are very reliable.

The Honda Shadows are good bikes but to me lack character and performance.

The Vulcan series from the original 1500, 1600 and now the 1700's are very good, reliable and boring cruisers because they lack guts!

I've owned just about every cruiser out there but I tend to enjoy ones with a BIG engine, like my 2012 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster, with 2.4 litres and 2,300 cc's:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm a little wary of another Suzuki as the one I have is always breaking (which I'm sure can be chalked up to it being abused by PO's) but if you guys think it's worth it I'll consider it definitely.

Is the VL1500LC the same as the Boulevard C90? Or better or worse or anything?

And what about a VTX? Bigger than the Shadow right? Is it a good bike?
The C90 is fuel injected, the seats, and handlebars aren't nearly as comfortable to me as the LC. Other than that pretty much the same. Shaft drive, hyd valves & clutch.

I've owned two LCs, and a C90T over the years. Biggest complaint are the crap steering head bearings from the factory. The OEM BrickSTONEs on my new '02 were the worst tires I've ever had the displeasure of riding on too.

My '02 had an electrical glitch, and the occasional false neutral. There is a load of discussion on that issue for those models. The '03 LC, and '05 C90T were stone reliable, save the steering bearings.

The VTX 1300 is a stone reliable bike from what my friends have said, as Porky said they sound nice as well, albeit they aren't going to pull your arms out of socket. :biggrin:

My buddy recently crashed his VTX1300 that he loved, and replaced it with a VTX1800, as I suspected he didn't bond with it. He got rid of it the other day, and bought a new CTX700.

·
2%er
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So when you guys say these bikes aren't fast, are you talking about top speed or acceleration? So far my top has only been 80kph (50mph) which was plenty for my current comfort level. So I mean if you're saying it won't go 200 that alright by me, heh. I do like to accelerate fast though. And being able to get out of a sketchy situation quickly would be helpful.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
A little bit of both, to be honest. My Road Star 1700 wont accelerate anywhere near as fast as my Bandit 1200, and won't go nearly as fast either. But there's something nice about having enough low-end torque to cruise along with the engine barely over idle. Still, it will go plenty fast. ;)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Add the Victory product line to your search. I love my Vision but lots of Victory bikes are made for other styles of riding and they are very nice bikes. When it comes to tall folks, many of the Vic product line are made with adjustable ergonomics. I like having my shifter way out in front so that is where I have it but I have my brake pedal in the center position. On many of the Vics you can move brake and gear shifter toward the front or back easily in about 10 minutes per side to customize your ride.

·
2%er
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do, thanks! The adjustability sounds like a great idea. Are there specific models I should be looking out for? A quick search shows a couple early 2000's V92C's at the very top of my price range. The rest are quite a bit higher prices than I'm hoping for

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If you find the old 92s outside your price range you have pretty much eliminated all Victory bikes and all but maybe an 883 in the Harley line. They only ever just get so cheap and no cheaper.

·
2%er
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you find the old 92s outside your price range you have pretty much eliminated all Victory bikes and all but maybe an 883 in the Harley line. They only ever just get so cheap and no cheaper.
Yeah I pretty much ruled out Harley from the get-go unfortunately. Where I'm at right now I doubt I have any hope of it. The idea on that front is maybe in a few years learn how to build one from scratch as a long project or something.

So I found a shop that had a lot of the bikes mentioned here, and as I hoped, my faves (and the most comfortable) were the VTX1300 and the Vulcan 1600. There was also a decked out Yamaha Venture 1300 that I really liked, but it was a bit heavy and the sales guy said it was a pretty top heavy bike and maybe not the best for me.

So that being said, now does anyone have anything BAD to say, specifically about those 3? I'd like to try to weigh the good with the bad, as they say

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
HAving to spend more time working on a bike than riding it, is certainly good reason to not like that brand..........buuuuuuuuuut
you might also consider that it is 30 yrs old, and having a bike that is 30 yrs old is good reason to consider buying that brand again.

My son is 6'4", he was influenced by the MS teachers, here they are all crotch rocket riders and they push having your feet under you. So he rode a Buell Blast, and didn't realize just how uncomfortable he was until I let him ride my Sportster with forward controls, he never went back to the Blast.

The Intruder has the foot pegs just slightly forward of under you, still not very comfortable, main reason I haven't bought a Yamaha Bolt.

You'll be wanting floorboards or forward control pegs........my son doesn't like floorboards......or he just doesn't like the style of bike with floorboards.

My son has ridden 883 and 1200 Sportster, Yamaha Stryker, Suzuki C-50, and both Kawasaki 900 Custom and Classic.....he wanted the Kaw 900 Custom. After test riding the Vulcan S he liked it even better, but that is a new bike and would be out of your price range.

·
2%er
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HAving to spend more time working on a bike than riding it, is certainly good reason to not like that brand..........buuuuuuuuuut
you might also consider that it is 30 yrs old, and having a bike that is 30 yrs old is good reason to consider buying that brand again.
That's actually a VERY good point. I did sit on a Boulevard C109 which was definitely roomy enough. I found it a bit heavy, but probably not moreso than the Venture or the Vulcan

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
The Venture is one of the smoothest bikes out there. It is also heavy very heavy (around 850 lbs) I ride the RSTD which is the same bike without the fairing.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
The Venture is a variation of the RSTD. The RSTD has the same engine and basic geometry but is not as top heavy and is a real pleasure to ride. Even with my short 29 inch inseam I could walk mine all over the place almost effortlessly. You should be able to pick up a low miles used one for under $6000. If I had no passenger to carry, I would have never given mine up.

My 2007 RSTD

1 - 20 of 35 Posts