Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Good thread so far. I also suffer with LBP and stopped riding a couple years ago because of the pain. I had cruiser seating type bikes and more than 30-60 min could flare up bad pain. Did 2-up touring with the wife but had to switch to a convertible. My back has improved but i'm yearning to ride again, badly. I'm average height but short legs. I'm leaning towards lighter bikes with better stance for LBP. Something that could occasionally accommodate the wife 2-up too for short trips. Picking a bike is HARD. I'll be following this thread.

P.S. I ride a jetski too and never have back pain. Can't really make sense of it.
Wow, a jet ski and no back pain??? What??? Lucky man! I think my skidoo-ing years along with heredity is behind my back problems....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi, new member here, I am 56 years old and have never-ending and fairly intense lower back pain due to squished and herniated discs L4 and L5...already had surgery to remove the herniations 3 years ago but things are kinda slowly getting nasty again...I can get by with a moderate daily regimen of painkillers.
I have been fantasizing about getting back into motorcycling, and I like the new sport touring bikes (such as, for example, the Yamaha FJ-09 pr the Kawasaki Concourse. My question is, am I nuts? Am I going to regret it? My thinking is that if I can get a bike with a soft cushy ride and the right rider position/ergonomics, I should be OK.
But I'm not sure exactly what the best riding position would be. I am assuming there is less pressure on the discs if leaning forward somewhat (ie like on a sportbike) but my intention is to have a comfortable powerful bike for longer trips so my first concern would be the plushness of the ride and softness of the suspension.
Any advice out there from someone with a lousy back?

Hi all, I'm in a suburb of Toronto, thinking about getting back into motorcycling. My previous ride was a 1980-something Yamaha Virago and before that, a Skidoo, a Polaris and another Skidoo.!. Wife had a Kawasaki Ninja for a couple years but driving a motorcycle was just too scary for her in the long run. Anyway, happy to be here. Peace!

First, you didn't say what kind of "pain relievers." It's NEVER a good idea to ride if you've taken any of the opiates. You can use Lido-caine patches or one of the others on the market.

As for which bike will be comfortable for you, there is only one way to find out. Sit on it for 10-15 minutes. if your butt & back are OK with it then you are likely to be comfortable on the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
First, you didn't say what kind of "pain relievers." It's NEVER a good idea to ride if you've taken any of the opiates. You can use Lido-caine patches or one of the others on the market.

As for which bike will be comfortable for you, there is only one way to find out. Sit on it for 10-15 minutes. if your butt & back are OK with it then you are likely to be comfortable on the road.
Actually I recently took myself off Percocets, I was up to 2-3 per day, but they don't make me feel weird, maybe a wee bit more "ON" if anything....I noticed that if I can get through without an opiate until about 11 in the morning, I am good for the day with just tylenol and my prescription anti-inflammatory plus may be an advil here and there.. but I completely agree with you about not taking them before or during biking.

Today I sat on 3 bikes, cycluing back and forth betrwen all 3. A 2019 Yamaha Tracer GT 900, a 2018 Kawasaki Versys 1000, and a 2016 KTM Adventure 1190.
I felt the Yamaha was a better fit for me overall, the suspension seemed a lot softer than the other two, especially the KTM.
I also preferred the colors and appearance of the Yamaha which is shown below.. One thing I don't understand is why all the seats are so hard.... Cheers.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,455 Posts
I also preferred the colors and appearance of the Yamaha which is shown below.. One thing I don't understand is why all the seats are so hard.... Cheers.

View attachment 64395

So that the aftermarket seat companies can stay in business.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Actually I wish the wheels weren't blue, I'd paint them black as soon as I got it home.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
If the KTM is a V twin, and the others are three and four cylinders, it may not run as smooth. Or it may have a buzzy spot.
UK

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
Actually I wish the wheels weren't blue, I'd paint them black as soon as I got it home.
I'd ask them if they could swap a different model bike that has black rims for the blue ones in a purchase. See if you can use it as a bargaining chip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
If the KTM is a V twin, and the others are three and four cylinders, it may not run as smooth. Or it may have a buzzy spot.
UK
Yes, good point, I have very little interest in a twin. The triple (the Yamaha) has apparently a fairly unique sound. My last snowmobile had a triple and the sound was very distinctive, most sleds at the time were two bangers. Anyway there is something about the KTM I don't like. Can't put my finger on it but it might be the fact that for what they are charging, the bike should look nicer than it does, ...and that God-awful headlight..... ugh...

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
I have a Suzuki V twin 1000 sport bike, a Triumph Trophy 900 triple, and more than one Yamaha XS1100 4 cylinder.
I had never owned a V twin, and the Suzuki was a fast bike at a very good price, new. The other bikes, including my XS400 twin, have smoother running engines. The 650 Suzuki V twin is also smoother. I have not been on other large V twin performance type bikes, but I do suspect they may run similar to my Suzuki. The three cylinder bikes do have a unique sound. The early three cylinder two stroke bikes like the 750 Kawasaki had a buzz / high rev tingle about them. That was before counterbalance shafts and other refinements. Some modern engines have also rearranged the crank pin placement. Such as the Triumph twin with a 270 degree crank. Old school was 360 for the British, and 180 for the Japanese. The new Triumphs are light weight compared to modern tanks. Handling is good, performance okay. Worth looking at for fit. My 96 Trophy is quite comfortable, and handles well. Also great for two up, which is where many modern bikes suffer. UK

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
I’ve said this before but my wife’s K75(3 cylinder)was a better engine than my K100(4 cylinder) BMWs. But I like 3 cylinder engines so the comparison might be skewed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, good point, I have very little interest in a twin. The triple (the Yamaha) has apparently a fairly unique sound. My last snowmobile had a triple and the sound was very distinctive, most sleds at the time were two bangers. Anyway there is something about the KTM I don't like. Can't put my finger on it but it might be the fact that for what they are charging, the bike should look nicer than it does, ...and that God-awful headlight..... ugh...
If you eyeing the Tracer 900 GT and haven't made the purchase yet, you may want to wait till the new ones hit showroom floors.

You may be able to get the older one at a reduced price with the new ones out or you may find you like the new one more, it does have some changes like a bump in displacement.

Here is the Tracer 9 GT and unlike the Tracer 900 GT of previous models years, we have two colors being brought over to North America in the same year.

Meaning when the new comes to showroom floors, you could pick up a red one instead of the silver one with blue wheels.

Though I am kind of annoyed we never had the Phantom Blue Tracer 900 GT come here, it's a good color scheme.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,870 Posts
^^thats a good looking bike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually I recently took myself off Percocets, I was up to 2-3 per day, but they don't make me feel weird, maybe a wee bit more "ON" if anything....I noticed that if I can get through without an opiate until about 11 in the morning, I am good for the day with just tylenol and my prescription anti-inflammatory plus may be an advil here and there.. but I completely agree with you about not taking them before or during biking.

Today I sat on 3 bikes, cycluing back and forth betrwen all 3. A 2019 Yamaha Tracer GT 900, a 2018 Kawasaki Versys 1000, and a 2016 KTM Adventure 1190.
I felt the Yamaha was a better fit for me overall, the suspension seemed a lot softer than the other two, especially the KTM.

View attachment 64395
I don't understand that ride for back, comfort, hope it works, me something low center if gravity, heavy ride well

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
If you eyeing the Tracer 900 GT and haven't made the purchase yet, you may want to wait till the new ones hit showroom floors.

You may be able to get the older one at a reduced price with the new ones out or you may find you like the new one more, it does have some changes like a bump in displacement.

Here is the Tracer 9 GT and unlike the Tracer 900 GT of previous models years, we have two colors being brought over to North America in the same year.

Meaning when the new comes to showroom floors, you could pick up a red one instead of the silver one with blue wheels.

Though I am kind of annoyed we never had the Phantom Blue Tracer 900 GT come here, it's a good color scheme.

Good advice except the dealer is closing up next summer and is not bringing in new stock. Its a "Honda" dealer selling all brands, new....with a large Honda car dealership attached. Weird setup.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts