Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

In 2003, I bought the Cruiser of my dreams! It was the new Honda VTX1800 Retro, in Candy Orange and I was smitten not only by its looks but by its features, like Shaft Drive, almost twice the HP of any stock Harley, very smooth running and FAST, I mean Fast, with roll on torque that was absolutely amazing. I had them put a complete tour pack on it and rode away with a big smile on my face! The smile didn't last!o_O

I was riding a new Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom at the time that I could ride for about 400 miles before the ol' Arse got sore enough to tell me to get off and walk it around a bit. My Sportbike at the time was a Yoshimura modified Suzuki 1200 Bandit ABS and it was very comfortable and the Kawasaki 1500 Drifter that I traded in on the VTX was almost as comfortable as my past Goldwing and Electra Glide but in less than 100 miles, this Fantastic VTX would turn me into a cripple!!!! Not only my Arse but my shoulders (Ruined from heavy Ironworker/ Architectural Glazing Union Construction) but my lower back, L5 & L6 (Ruined in a head on car wreck) was totally on fire!

The problem is a well known one:
The feet forward, arms forward, Arse way back, 'C' position was the culprit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kept the bike for a short time because it killed me to ride it---literally:poop:

I traded it almost straight across for a new Ducati Superbike that was actually more comfortable after the footpegs were lowered 2 inches and the Clipons were raised an inch.

SAGE advice: New bikes can seem very comfortable on the showroom floor, when the A/C makes the experience just feel good. (SUMMER) On your first August ride across the 'HELL' that is Kansas, when it's so hot that your new bike will overheat when it's not even running and your TUSH is on fire, your shoulders ache, your knees are killing you and the ol' worn out BACK hates your guts, you will wish that you'd made a better decision about that new bike purchase!

馃榿
I had a new Indian Scout, a year ago, all Farkled by the Dealer and I thought it was just what I needed, having recently sold my Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and wanting something smaller and less heavy, I liked it for maybe 1/2 hour into my first 200 mile lunch ride!!! I tried to sell it back to the dealer a few days after I bought it, that is how much I hated the Injun!

I guess Stupid is as stupid does.

Sam

Reactions: Andy S

Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
Welcome from Kansas! You've received a LOT of advice馃檪

Registered
Hi, new member here, I am 56 years old and have never-ending and fairly intense lower back pain due to squished and herniated discs L4 and L5...already had surgery to remove the herniations 3 years ago but things are kinda slowly getting nasty again...I can get by with a moderate daily regimen of painkillers.
I have been fantasizing about getting back into motorcycling, and I like the new sport touring bikes (such as, for example, the Yamaha FJ-09 pr the Kawasaki Concourse. My question is, am I nuts? Am I going to regret it? My thinking is that if I can get a bike with a soft cushy ride and the right rider position/ergonomics, I should be OK.
But I'm not sure exactly what the best riding position would be. I am assuming there is less pressure on the discs if leaning forward somewhat (ie like on a sportbike) but my intention is to have a comfortable powerful bike for longer trips so my first concern would be the plushness of the ride and softness of the suspension.
Any advice out there from someone with a lousy back?

Hi all, I'm in a suburb of Toronto, thinking about getting back into motorcycling. My previous ride was a 1980-something Yamaha Virago and before that, a Skidoo, a Polaris and another Skidoo.!. Wife had a Kawasaki Ninja for a couple years but driving a motorcycle was just too scary for her in the long run. Anyway, happy to be here. Peace!
hello ; im in the same position. I bought an air bladder called "wild ass). Rode to iowa last summer and rode straight through coming home. 1200 miles and no back pain whatsoever. remember to only fill the air bladder halfway or a little less. good luck.

Registered
In 2003, I bought the Cruiser of my dreams! It was the new Honda VTX1800 Retro, in Candy Orange and I was smitten not only by its looks but by its features, like Shaft Drive, almost twice the HP of any stock Harley, very smooth running and FAST, I mean Fast, with roll on torque that was absolutely amazing. I had them put a complete tour pack on it and rode away with a big smile on my face! The smile didn't last!o_O

I was riding a new Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom at the time that I could ride for about 400 miles before the ol' Arse got sore enough to tell me to get off and walk it around a bit. My Sportbike at the time was a Yoshimura modified Suzuki 1200 Bandit ABS and it was very comfortable and the Kawasaki 1500 Drifter that I traded in on the VTX was almost as comfortable as my past Goldwing and Electra Glide but in less than 100 miles, this Fantastic VTX would turn me into a cripple!!!! Not only my Arse but my shoulders (Ruined from heavy Ironworker/ Architectural Glazing Union Construction) but my lower back, L5 & L6 (Ruined in a head on car wreck) was totally on fire!

The problem is a well known one:
The feet forward, arms forward, Arse way back, 'C' position was the culprit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kept the bike for a short time because it killed me to ride it---literally:poop:

I traded it almost straight across for a new Ducati Superbike that was actually more comfortable after the footpegs were lowered 2 inches and the Clipons were raised an inch.

SAGE advice: New bikes can seem very comfortable on the showroom floor, when the A/C makes the experience just feel good. (SUMMER) On your first August ride across the 'HELL' that is Kansas, when it's so hot that your new bike will overheat when it's not even running and your TUSH is on fire, your shoulders ache, your knees are killing you and the ol' worn out BACK hates your guts, you will wish that you'd made a better decision about that new bike purchase!

馃榿
I had a new Indian Scout, a year ago, all Farkled by the Dealer and I thought it was just what I needed, having recently sold my Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and wanting something smaller and less heavy, I liked it for maybe 1/2 hour into my first 200 mile lunch ride!!! I tried to sell it back to the dealer a few days after I bought it, that is how much I hated the Injun!

I guess Stupid is as stupid does.

Sam
the scout definitely needs a different seat. i bought the challenger and its a cadillac. no pain at all.

Registered
Hi, new member here, I am 56 years old and have never-ending and fairly intense lower back pain due to squished and herniated discs L4 and L5...already had surgery to remove the herniations 3 years ago but things are kinda slowly getting nasty again...I can get by with a moderate daily regimen of painkillers.
I have been fantasizing about getting back into motorcycling, and I like the new sport touring bikes (such as, for example, the Yamaha FJ-09 pr the Kawasaki Concourse. My question is, am I nuts? Am I going to regret it? My thinking is that if I can get a bike with a soft cushy ride and the right rider position/ergonomics, I should be OK.
But I'm not sure exactly what the best riding position would be. I am assuming there is less pressure on the discs if leaning forward somewhat (ie like on a sportbike) but my intention is to have a comfortable powerful bike for longer trips so my first concern would be the plushness of the ride and softness of the suspension.

Hi all, I'm in a suburb of Toronto, thinking about getting back into motorcycling. My previous ride was a 1980-something Yamaha Virago and before that, a Skidoo, a Polaris and another Skidoo.!. Wife had a Kawasaki Ninja for a couple years but driving a motorcycle was just too scary for her in the long run. Anyway, happy to be here. Peace!
Try a Harley Heritage classic with a backrest. Very smooth, comfortable ride. A bit heavy but, at 60 with the same issues as you, I find it to be the most comfortable riding bike I鈥檝e ever owned.

Registered

Welcome! Not sure about what bike, probably go for something smooth and comfortable gl be safe

Registered
If you're lookin at a cruiser style bike you want something with a back rest or where the rear seat is slightly higher and helps keeps your hips / lower back from rolling to the rear. I did some work on my bike a few years back and took it out for a test ride without putting the back seat on and I definitely felt some pain in my lower back. I put the back seat on and the pain stopped.

Registered

I would rent a trike. See how you hold up to road vibrations and distance riding.

Registered

I suffered from sciatica years ago. I had over 100 'adjustments' from a chiropractor, and lessened my work load. With stretching every morning, I have controlled this condition and have been able to continue to ride.

American Legion Rider
I did not mention in my previous post. Consider a kidney belt. Many motocross and off road riders wear them. UK
I use one of those back support braces advertised that help you with lifting. It works well, I suspect a lot like a kidney belt but softer. I don't have a kidney belt or have ever used one so not sure if I'm comparing apples to oranges or not.

Premium Member
They now come in many varieties. Whatever works is best. Used to be the bike shops sold kidney belts for motocross riding. Used by many for cross country rides and racing. And now by aging types for work and riding. I wear a belt when I am erecting or dismantling the scaffold. Lots of awkward bending. I can not afford any time off at the moment with winter coming. UK

Registered

Registered

I've had the same. I'm 63. It doesn't get worse. Weirdly, it gets better, lower back stuff, if you get back on the stupid horse or fun scooter. Then you "have to do it." Better than doing nothing. Then you get stiff.

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. I have problems with my lower back. I don't like cruisers, with the situp position and feet forward it puts pressure on my lower spine. I prefer the lean forward jockey position of sportbikes, but my knees cannot fold up for very long. Recently I purchased a 2020 Ninja 1000SX SportTourer, which seems to fit me better than other bikes. It is more sportbike in the foot pegs with a bit of situp. Plenty of bike for me for power and comfort.

I would recommend (probably what you have already planned) is to sit on a lot of bikes, as long as the saleman will tolerate. If you have any bike rentals in your area, renting for a half or full day will provide you with some time to see how your back will react to riding in the saddle for several hours. I can ride all day provided I get off often for short breaks. An hour at a time fits me well. If I ride longer than that, it screws me up and then I suffer for the rest of the ride. Years ago my max was like 30 minutes. I have slowly worked up to and got used to riding 50 minutes to an hour and as long as I take those breaks can do 500-600 miles in a day without severe pain. On some rides I start off feeling bad and take more breaks and feel better as the day goes on. Other rides I feel well to the start and can reduce the breaks. Good Luck with your decision and hope things work out for you to get back on 2 wheels.
Thank you!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
I've had the same. I'm 63. It doesn't get worse. Weirdly, it gets better, lower back stuff, if you get back on the stupid horse or fun scooter. Then you "have to do it." Better than doing nothing. Then you get stiff.
My thinking exactly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. I have problems with my lower back. I don't like cruisers, with the situp position and feet forward it puts pressure on my lower spine. I prefer the lean forward jockey position of sportbikes, but my knees cannot fold up for very long. Recently I purchased a 2020 Ninja 1000SX SportTourer, which seems to fit me better than other bikes. It is more sportbike in the foot pegs with a bit of situp. Plenty of bike for me for power and comfort.

I would recommend (probably what you have already planned) is to sit on a lot of bikes, as long as the saleman will tolerate. If you have any bike rentals in your area, renting for a half or full day will provide you with some time to see how your back will react to riding in the saddle for several hours. I can ride all day provided I get off often for short breaks. An hour at a time fits me well. If I ride longer than that, it screws me up and then I suffer for the rest of the ride. Years ago my max was like 30 minutes. I have slowly worked up to and got used to riding 50 minutes to an hour and as long as I take those breaks can do 500-600 miles in a day without severe pain. On some rides I start off feeling bad and take more breaks and feel better as the day goes on. Other rides I feel well to the start and can reduce the breaks. Good Luck with your decision and hope things work out for you to get back on 2 wheels.
Thanks so much!

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
My new Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports bike is number 88, in 57 1/2 years of riding every type of bike. The bike is tall and a little hard for me to swing a leg over but once in the saddle, the ergonomics, ride, power and torque, brakes, traction control and especially the LONG and plush suspension, makes riding a pleasure again and at only 507 lbs it is manageable.

I recommend Adventure bikes as they can do it all and there are all kinds from fairly cheap to outrageous and docile to extremely fast and powerful.
Actually I do love the idea of being able to go offroad sometimes, I often explore the boonies in search of whatever, and if the trail is too small to accomodate my SUV, that's where the fun ends.

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
Time crunch, I will have to get back later to reading all the replies to my original post, but in the meantime, thanks to all who posted. 馃槉

21 - 40 of 55 Posts