Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good compromise between comfort, size, reliability, and versatility. My hobby is photography and I have a travel trailer which I pull with a Nissan Titan. I'd like a motorcycle that can fit in the back of the truck (short bed, unfortunately); using some sort of rack is an option to raise the front end. We frequently camp in remote areas and I don't like to leave my wife at the trailer without transportation.

My typical excursions would include 30-40 miles on a two-lane highway and then perhaps 5-10 miles on unimproved roads. I am not looking for speed (except to avoid being dangerously slow on the highway) and not looking for testosterone-laden off-roading (just picking my way among the ruts and potholes on the dirt roads).

I am some basic mechanical skills but am not a mechanic by any stretch. Reliability is key and I will invest in regular maintenance. I have a satellite communicator with two way capabilities so I won't be in imminent danger but I don't relish the idea of spending the night in the wilderness. Nevertheless, I need some cargo capacity for cameras, tripods, and basic survival gear. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 250. Intuitively, a dual-purpose seems like the place to start. Your recommendations as the make/model/displacement would be helpful.

Thank you for your time.

·
Severed Head
464 Posts
These would be my picks, in order of prefrence:

DRZ400 - Light weight for easier loading and unloading. Popular with the "adventure touring" set, so finding useful items like a larger tank and rack systems to haul the photo gear would be fairly painless. Proven, reliable, simple to maintain.

DR650 - Heavier, but a slight edge in freeway performance. Again, lots of aftermarket goodies. "Stone axe" simplicity and reliability.

KLR650 - Heaviest of the group, and larger. Enough to possibly be problematic in loading/unloading. However, very popular, proven reliability, capable in all areas, and huge aftermarket support.

The biggest draw for these three in my mind is the availability of rack systems for them. Something tells me that the ability to hang a set of Pelican cases on the back would be an asset to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look Like Good Suggestions

Thanks, I hadn't seen these but the DR650 looks about right. Seems to have fair ground clearance without being too heavy. I think I can horse it up a ramp easily enough. With my weight the extra displacement makes sense. Availability of storage options looks good also.

I appreciate your time in replying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts