Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! my name is Abdel, am from Monterrey, MX, and am considering a 2002 Triumph America to be my first bike, it's got a 800cc and beautiful :), can someone please tell me if this bike is right for a newbie?

I also want to know why is it that most of modern bikes don't have a kickstart, I read on the internet that there is a law against it for bikes over 650cc, but doesn't tell why, I ask this because I'm really into kickstarting my bike, obviously the 2002 Triumph that I drooled for doesn't have it, he he, okay guys that's it for now, thanx and I hope to hear from you soon.

Abdel

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
If its that beautiful, then you may want to hold off and buy a smaller, cheaper used bike to start on. The general rule of thumb is that you WILL drop your bike as a beginner. Its better to drop a cheap used bike than your dream bike, right? Not to mention, 800cc is generally a bit big for a new rider (a 250cc bike will be far more forgiving). 250cc bikes are also 100-200 lbs lighter than the Triumph America (which gets back to dropping the bike...).

Kickstarts aren't put on bikes anymore simply because an electric starter is a better choice. Much easier and less tiring to start a bike with an electric starter. You can still find kickstarts on dual-sport bikes, I believe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi primalmu thanx a lot for answering, you're right!! I'll have it in mind :).
It's not really my dream bike, I think that'll be an Indian :), but that will come much more later :)

About the kickstart I was hoping to get a bike with both: an electric starter and a kickstart so I could use whichever I want :)

About the sports bikes, I don't like them haha

Have a nice weekend :)

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
Hi primalmu thanx a lot for answering, you're right!! I'll have it in mind :).
It's not really my dream bike, I think that'll be an Indian :), but that will come much more later :)
True, but a dent/scratch on that shiny Triumph will still be pretty painful to look at. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts