Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody. I'm new to the motorcycle world, as well as this thread. Recently, the idea of obtaining a MC license and buying a motorcycle have had me obsessed. I wanted feedback of what a good beginner street sport motorcycle to learn on would be, but is also fast, could go around 100, and accelerates quickly(for when I fully learn how to ride of course). I'm trying to aim for a price range under $2500 for a used bike under that criteria. I've seen many posts saying buy one of those dirtbike type streetlegal bikes, but I plan on keeping this bike for at least a year or two(wouldn't want to be driving around the "dirtbike" cruiser type that long). Thank you very much for the feedback!

Also, for the BRC, do they supply the training bikes? Upon completion, do you get your license? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Please dont focus on how fast you will go, learn how to ride a motorcycle well, I mean really well, then you can go where it is safe to get into triple digit speeds. Look up Capt Crash Idaho here and on you tube.
Many motorcycles will easily get up to triple digit speed, but when you get there will you be ready to handle the unexpected?
There are lots of great threads here dealing with various situations we all encounter from time to time while riding.
Take your time to learn how to ride right, so that you will have a very safe and long riding career!
Welcome to the forum!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. In Missouri when you take the BRC the bikes are supplied. Upon successful completion of the course you are issued a card that you can take to the license office where you must pass the written test, then you will be issued a license. You need to check with your states DMV.

Klrlindy63 is very right. Forget about the speed. Learn to ride first, become good and safety minded. Then think about finding a track where they can safely teach you about speed.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
BRC programs supply the motorcycles, and many times they will supply a helmet for the class as well. It depends on the state you live in if a waiver is given for taking the class.

You can find a decent motorcycle for $2500 if you know what you are looking at.

There are a lot of motorcycles that will do 100 mph.

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
The two BRC places in NYC provide the bikes and helmets.
NYS gives a waiver for passing the class.

One of the most useful pieces of advice I got here was that my first bike was just that - my first, not my last. It's a great bike for learning on so that I'll have experience if I move to a bigger one.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't read a preference in Motorcycle type (Cruiser, Rice Rocket, etc). What are you currently looking at?

Nothing wrong with buying "Used" by the way.

Good advice you've been given so far.........focus on being a "good" (responsible, careful, conscientious) rider, first and foremost.

-Soupy

·
Registered
245 Posts
YEahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

EX500 - EX250 (pre 08) - Suzuki SV650.

Three bikes I will always recommend. There are EX500 and SV650 racers that pass 600s in corners at the track with no issues. All of these bikes have an extremely comfortable riding position and have no issues hitting 100+, but won't do it at screaming acceleration :).

No new rider needs a true track sport racebike, but then people might not bow down to your facebook post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts