Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What fun! The Dodge Cummins Diesel has a starter that is notorious for burning the starter contact on one side of the solenoid. The good news is that for 20.00 to 40.00, new copper contacts can be bought from Larry B's or an internet supplier and you are back in business.

Taking the starter off a 4WD does take some doing,however. The starter bolts have a 10MM 12 point head. 10 MM wrenches tend to be on the short and thin side. I could have bought a long metric set,but still would have to cut a bit of the wrench off to be able to turn it. The thin profile of a 10MM just bruises the crap out of your hands,so I made my own specialty tool.

I took a 1/2 inch steel pipe and cut a slot in the end about 3/4 inch deep. I guessed how long it had to be and cut the pipe. I then hammered the slotted end shut around a combi wrench that I had cut the open end off. The finished product has the property of being able to slide on the 12 point closed end to give additional leverage and yet be easy on my hand. I used some Freeze-Off penetrating oil and let it sit overnight and applied a little more in the morning.

I got the bottom two bolts broken free and loosened them up and applied more penetrant until they easily came out and then put them back in one at a time. The top starter bolt --I knew it was there,but it remained unseen. I placed the wrench on it from the underside and flopped my beautiful body over the top of the engine on an old couch cushion. I worked my arm in there and broke the bolt free and withdrew my bleeding arm and then returned to the underside of the truck to slowly work another 10MM combi wrench on the top unseen bolt. I then took off the previously R&R bottom starter bolts and was glad to have saved the easier one for last.

All in all,about a half an hour of careful wrenching got it off. 4WD makes it especially fun.because the starter is directly over the pumpkin. Repairing the starter will be easy when the parts arrive,but I am not looking forward to bolting the beastie back in the truck...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I like Cummins Diesel trucks. Love the sound they make. I remember when my kids where young, we where sitting on the side of the road waiting for the parade to start when one rode by. My son yelled out "does it have a Hemi?" No son, that one is a diesel, you won't find a Hemi on that one!!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah..My daughter and me could be sitting in the open air stands at a track meet. The 20 valve engine was new that year and we would wait for that distinctive sound coming into the parking lot. One of us would say without looking at the truck "12 valve" or "24 valve' and the other would confirm if the engine was a first generation or second generation Cummins.

Now,with the cost of fuel,I usually drive the truck to the job or a property I own close by when I need to haul lumber to the job. The motorcycle goes on the trailer and I ride it back and forth to the job to save money.

The three most identifiable engine sounds belong to two lung John Deere Tractors, Harley Davidson, and Cummins Turbo Diesels.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I read somewhere that what separates us from the lower orders of animals is our ability to make tools. Of all the people who ride motorcycles, you sir, have now arrived at the upper end of the evolutionary spectrum.
:71baldboy:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not so fast..

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/tool-using-animals.html

Well anyway,I fixed the starter for less than 20 bucks using Larry B's starter contacts/ plunger kit. After all kinds of effort,I finally got one of the mounting bolts to grab a thread or two. Surprisingly,two of the bolts were tightened using a ratchet with the tiniest of clearances and the 'perfect' combination of an extension and a socket of just the right depth.

Truck started instantly after a vacation of 8 months. Gotta love the CTD

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
I bought a '93 F-350 with an 7.3 IDI turbo in it this summer. It's a completely new learning experience for me. I can crawl around, on, and inside a gas engine with confidence. But this, this thing is wild in my mind. I'm figuring out that diesels take a bit more TLC, but they reward you with reliability and better mileage. My last tank returned nearly 15mpg combines city/highway. You won't ever see that in a gas powered 4x4 1 ton truck with 35" tires.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mileage

My truck has 10 foot long tool boxes that extend out from the cab almost a foot on each side, an aerodynamic nightmare. It gets 14-15 mpg around here with stop signs every few miles.

A few years ago,I loaded it heavy with scaffold to help build a log cabin with a 21' cathedral ceiling. The beast scaled a little over six tons. I drove the speed limit on about 80% super slab and the rest local roads and it turned in 19.6 MPG.
Diesels like to be driven at speed and kept at operating [hot] temperatures for the best mileage.

When Diesel fuel went to 4.00 a gallon, I looked hard at my expenses and started to use the truck more to pull trailers and haul lumber. Probably cut down 80% of the miles I used to run the truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts