Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This 2007 Ultra has just shy of 10,000 mile on it now. It came from my mother's cousin. He had it dealer maintained, and had the detailed work orders to show it. So you can imagine my disappointment to find that 3 of the 5 screws securing the clutch inspection cover were stripped out. I had to very carefully cut a slot in them to use a straight screwdriver to remove them. I replaced them with socket head allen bolts like those that secure the entire primary case to the bike. What kind of dealer mechanic does this to an expensive bike? I'm betting he has a drawer full of new screws he could have used.

The next surprise was the use of what I think is Redline Shockproof transmission oil. I wouldn't expect a dealer to use non-HD fluids. Perhaps it was requested by the customer. Anyway, this explains the not so sweet smell of hot gear oil I would catch a whiff of now and then. Shockproof works good, from what I read, but it certainly stinks as much.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Yes it stinks but it's good stuff. The animals they have a dealers amazes me sometimes. It's a darn shame they weren't the ones that had to fix what they screwed up.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
You did a nice job cutting slots in the screw heads in tight quarters! Doesn't appear to be any nicks in the cover. :thumbsup:

When I read 'stripped threads', as first I thought you meant the threads were stripped in the case. :eek: At least this was a much easier fix!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Yeap, he wasn't paying attention and grabbed a T-25 instead of a T-27. Strips 'em out every time.

You did a nice job cutting slots in the screw heads in tight quarters! Doesn't appear to be any nicks in the cover. :thumbsup:
+1 :71baldboy: That's hard to do with those. Good job!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Pirsig had some things to say about "those sorts" of motorcycle mechanics.

The problem is, as a consumer, you've got very little recourse especially if the work was done for a P.O.

I would have at LEAST taken the bike by that shop, or print out a copy of this thread, the pictures and give it to the service manager and/or owner.

As an owner I would want to know if my guys were doing sloppy work. At least one of 'em would get "counseled."

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,281 Posts
He just got the bike from a relative, several hours away. He could send the pictures, copy of the invoice to the owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts