Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am considering the V-strom and Versys, myself. Why?

-I need a tall bike
(6'4", bothers my hips/knees to ride shorter ones)
(and I look like a circus bear on a bicycle)
-I like to ride upright
-I want locking luggage
-650 seems just right for my use (commuting, city, occasional short tour)
-Price and dependability seem solid

No, I will not be riding around Africa. I doubt I'll even hit the dirt. So, besides possibly getting labelled as a poser, what is not to like about these two (or similar) bikes?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I don't know anything about those two bikes, or about adventure bikes in general. But if you like one, and it fits you, and you enjoy it, then have fun and don't waste a second wondering what other people think of you riding it.

That whole "poser" thing is worth about nothing too. Don't let other people's insecurities influence your decision.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
"Adventure" just generally means designed to go in places others might not. Darn sure doesn't mean you can't use it for everyday commute purposes with a set of street tires.

Most do come with off road type but a used one might already have street too. Sounds like it would be a good fit with you because they are taller generally so anyone with a lick of common sense would understand.

But don't let others dictate your life. Be your own person and the heck with them. Join the rest of us that are completely happy with our choices regardless of what others say. It actually feels good.:D

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I don't know what qualifies as an adventure bike, everywhere I've seen Versys is its own catagory. I suppose Versys is more capable of off road riding than a Vulcan or Ninja, but I don't think it is actually made for off road.

Kawasaki has KLR classed as dual purpose, described as a bike for adventure touring.

All I can do on a Versys is tippie-toe, but I'm 5 inches shorter than you, that has nothing to do with why I don't own one. I don't own one because they are way too much fun, they're lightweight, smooth, easy to handle thru the curves, hit the straight-a-way and look down at the speedometer and you're doing 85.........I'd lose my license in no time.

But then trying to ride one around close to legal speeds is boring.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Adventure/touring bikes are supposed to have off-road capability, sort of a dual purpose but also be able to cruise the highway more or less like a touring bike. Most have pretty tall seats, over 32" or so. Some come with saddlebags/luggage as standard equipment, others they are optional and cost extra. Some like the BMW R1200GS or KTM 1190 Adventure have pretty good off-road capability and sport bike like performance on the road, others(depending on your definition) like the Triumph Scrambler are better on the road with less prowess off-road. Some are pretty heavy, over five hundred pounds to over six hundred and some have over 1000cc engines. Do some research on Youtube or magazine reviews to help with a decision as to which is best for you. If I am correct the person that started this topic is like me, 6'4" or so, a taller bike might fit you.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I'm interested in Adventure bikes mainly because I am interested in ANYTHING with 2 wheels and a motor,:icon_cool:

I'd like to add on to the garage for several of the reasons chewybrian mentioned. I am also of the long, lanky sort and the added leg room makes them more comfortable than sport tourers. Also the long suspension soaks up bad-roads better than most other scoots.

Some guys bash on the lack of true off-road capability, but these bikes aren't really built for that anyway. They are basically the SUVs of the motorcycle world.

·
8,572 Posts
I've had a lot of the so called "adventure" bikes, Dual-sports, Enduro's, etc.

Today, just about any bike that has anything other than 'street tires' can be called an adventure bike. Put a little 'skid plate' on it and D.O.T. approved dual-sport tires on them and they are ready to take on the dirt paths of the world!

Hog wash:biggrin:

Most of the new crop of so called adventure bikes are just street bikes in drag and the only "adventure" you'll have is trying to upright the whale when if slides out and/ or falls over. Which it will, as soon as you enter a corner at a good clip and the over pressured tires slide out and you low side or high side.

Street geometry doesn't work very well in the dirt nor do 500 lb so called dirt bikes.

Any front fender that 'hugs' the front tire, is a dead giveaway that the first mud road you take on will eventually pack between the two, clog up and lock up and throw you.

The little DL650 V-strom is a good start but to be a contender, it must be modified. Go to the V-Strom site and check it out.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I'm looking to get a Honda VFR1200X this spring. I'm wanting a bike I can explore gravel mountain roads and two track trails. But more importantly, it needs luggage capability and enough motor to ride it quickly and comfortably across country on the interstates to get to them. If off road capability was my priority, I'd throw the the CFR-R in the back of my truck, and take that across country.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what qualifies as an adventure bike, everywhere I've seen Versys is its own catagory. I suppose Versys is more capable of off road riding than a Vulcan or Ninja, but I don't think it is actually made for off road.

Kawasaki has KLR classed as dual purpose, described as a bike for adventure touring.

All I can do on a Versys is tippie-toe, but I'm 5 inches shorter than you, that has nothing to do with why I don't own one. I don't own one because they are way too much fun, they're lightweight, smooth, easy to handle thru the curves, hit the straight-a-way and look down at the speedometer and you're doing 85.........I'd lose my license in no time.

But then trying to ride one around close to legal speeds is boring.
It sounds like that saying that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. I'm not sure how true it is, but I've always enjoyed every bike I've ridden for what it is.

In every review of the Versys, I see a pic like this:

^Not my style at all, but it's not so bad having the power there, as long as it doesn't mean a high price to buy, maintain, insure... I'm sure this bike would have more punch than I'd need, but still it should be manageable power, not like a Hayabusa or some such thing.

Check out this article from AdvPulse on the top 10 adventure bikes for beginners. It talks about those two in particular and lists what they're good for and where they're not good.
Thanks. I wasn't drawn to any of the others listed, though, as the list quickly went into dual purpose bikes. I really want more of a sport tour, I guess, but built tall like a dual purpose.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Thanks. I wasn't drawn to any of the others listed, though, as the list quickly went into dual purpose bikes. I really want more of a sport tour, I guess, but built tall like a dual purpose.
Have you looked at the BMW GS line? They have a 650 thumper, a 700 and 800 twin version that aren't too pricey.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you looked at the BMW GS line? They have a 650 thumper, a 700 and 800 twin version that aren't too pricey.
I really like the 700+800's, but they are a big bump in price for me, maybe $4000 or 5000 up from a Versys or V-strom, counting luggage. Maintenance costs might be higher, too, although resale would be good. I might buy one used if I found the right deal. New, they are a bit more than I'd like to spend.

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Adventure

A bike that is better suited to 20 miles of unpaved road that is a bit bumpy.
Definitely need 150 hp for that. Anything rougher than that, and you will drop one of those overweight tanks. Not much sense in that.

The 650 and 1000 Suzukis will do the job fine. The rougher it gets, the less weight you want.
I would consider the 650 single, Suzuki and Kawasaki before most others.

For fast riding on gravel, sand and such, a good 450 MX bike would be much better. For real off road work thru the jungle, a 220 pound 250 dedicated dirt bike is best, IMO. Sometimes a trials bike with a decent seat and big tank works best. It is just a matter of how serious you get with off road riding, and the nature of the terrain in your area.

If there was a fallen tree with a 30 inch trunk across your path, had would you get over it? Imagine a field of fallen trees up to one foot downed by wind. And they are wet.

Unkle Krusty*

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Man this thread made a sharp turn. There's a huge difference between adventure or dual sport and sport tourer. Anyone else get whiplash? :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Man this thread made a sharp turn. There's a huge difference between adventure or dual sport and sport tourer. Anyone else get whiplash? :D
I tried to make the initial post more open ended to see more answers. The two bikes I'm most interested in are being tagged 'adventure' in reviews. However, in the case of the Versys LT in particular, 'sport touring' might be a better tag, to me.

The V strom seems like more of an adventure bike, sort of pretending to be dual purpose:

Something like a DR 650 would be a 'real' dual sport, in my view, but it's not what I want:

Yet, notice that all these bikes are in the link above labelled 'adventure bikes', so...:confused::confused::confused:

I split my question into":

A-What do you think of Adventure Bikes? and

B-What about a Versys or a Vstrom?

I just thought I would get more participation this way; the more general the initial post, the more people chime in.

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
3 bikes

I already answered the question, and added more. How many gravel roads do you ride on? How many logging roads do you ride on/ How many deer trails do you ride on? You need those for the steep climbs. How many really steep mountains do you climb? How many logs do you jump?

Back in the day we road on gravel roads with our regular road bikes.
If it is more gravel than pavement I would go with the 650 single.
If it is gravel now and then, I would pick the V Strom.

Maybe I am one of the few that has done some serious off road riding.
I do not see it as a u turn, I see it as a progression of riding terrain.
I also think a 1290 cc 150 hp ADV bike is a waste of money.

Unkle Krusty*

·
8,572 Posts
Of the two shown I think I would take the Versys because it's got just about what a person needs to have them some adventure!

I also like tubeless tires which the Kawi has.

You also can't beat the little V-strom.

I'd at least sit on both and feel the ergonomics. Ride the two if you can.

The big singles are great if you don't plan on long rides at high speeds. They all vibrate, some worse than others and the only one with a good size gas tank is the KLR650.

The Japanese bikes have good dealer support if you plan on touring. BMW, KTM, Triumph, Husqvarna and other exotics have very few dealers in comparison.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Grasshopper(chewybrian), the first question is how serious are you about off-road capability? The second is what terrain will that off-roading be on? Where I live in Maryland none of the "adventure" bikes would be very good because they are too heavy. If you will only be riding dirt roads that aren't too serious then the so called adventure bikes would be fine, if you want the touring and sporty type of riding then a duel purpose single cylinder probably won't be enough in the power department. No one else should choose THE bike for you.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts