Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting the bug to buy a bike again and I've fixated on the Yamaha Super Tenere.

I value you opinions---what say you?

Sam

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Is that thing shaft drive I'm seeing there? Looks like with a raised front fender and some off road tires it would make an assume dual sport bike or "adventure" bike.

·
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a shaft final drive. The stock tires are much to street oriented and the front fender is awfully close to the tire.

For an all around bike, it has a lot of great features for commuting, touring or the occasional gravel/ dirt road adventure.

If you have the time, take a look at this video:biggrin: These guys take their adventure rides seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvLX8fgRgjI

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I'm curious, why the change of heart? In past threads you've been pretty clear on your contempt for "adventure" bikes. ;)

I've had a lot of the so called "adventure" bikes, Dual-sports, Enduro's, etc.

Today, just about any bike that has anything other than 'street tires' can be called an adventure bike. Put a little 'skid plate' on it and D.O.T. approved dual-sport tires on them and they are ready to take on the dirt paths of the world!

Hog wash:biggrin:

Most of the new crop of so called adventure bikes are just street bikes in drag and the only "adventure" you'll have is trying to upright the whale when if slides out and/ or falls over. Which it will, as soon as you enter a corner at a good clip and the over pressured tires slide out and you low side or high side.

Street geometry doesn't work very well in the dirt nor do 500 lb so called dirt bikes.

Any front fender that 'hugs' the front tire, is a dead giveaway that the first mud road you take on will eventually pack between the two, clog up and lock up and throw you.

I prefer tubeless tires.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
It has a shaft final drive. The stock tires are much to street oriented and the front fender is awfully close to the tire.

For an all around bike, it has a lot of great features for commuting, touring or the occasional gravel/ dirt road adventure.

If you have the time, take a look at this video:biggrin: These guys take their adventure rides seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvLX8fgRgjI

I usually run into the tree rather than use them to power out and away from. And I hate mud.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I'm curious, why the change of heart? In past threads you've been pretty clear on your contempt for "adventure" bikes. ;)
The dude has owned like, 75 bikes in the last 5 years. Clearly he's running out of types and brands to buy so he has to re-cycle some of his choices. I'm guessing he has some sort of bike neuropathy. :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Same here, I'm really thinking about buying the Triumph Explorer 1200. Don't know why but that bike has caught my attention.

·
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Neuropathyy: "an abnormal and usually degenerative state of the nervous system or nerves":confused:

Every time I buy a new bike it "Regenerates" my nervous system:biggrin:

CTX: My past thoughts on Adventure bikes has to do with the NORMAL every day rider that may think that these new Adventure bikes will let them do what they used to do on their past smaller and lighter dualsport or enduro/ dirt bikes.

The newest crop of big and heavy adventure bikes, with 100 to 175 Horsepower is a recipe for disaster for the inexperienced or unwitting rider.

What bothers me is that some of the motorcycle dealers try to pass these big "Trailies" off as if they were fantastic enduro bikes, as is.

Case in point: I was at a big powersports dealer not long ago and was looking at all kinds of bikes and I was standing next to a Triumph Explorer 1200. A salesman approached me and I acted naive about off-roading and he commenced to tell me that this bike would do anything in the dirt, etc-etc.

I being and ex-dirt and track rider for-forever, commenced to tell him that the bikes of this genre were well named because the first time it got stuck or fell over it would certainly be an adventure---for sure.:wink:

He, just gave me a weird look and walked away probably thinking how dumb I was to doubt his knowledge of how well the 600 lb bike would work on Jeep trails, fireroads, trials courses, Baja and Motocross.:biggrin:

I have never said that the Adventure bikes don't make GREAT streetbikes, with some light duty off road thrown in.

I've had LOTS of Adventure/ Dualsport and enduro bikes and they are a hoot. They just have to be utilized realistically.

Notice in the video, that the easiest bike to ride on that difficult terrain was the little Honda 250 dualsport.

"Neuropathy? no "Nymphobikeitis.":biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Porky said:
Nymphobikeitis
Wouldn't that mean you like having sex with bikes.:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Same here, I'm really thinking about buying the Triumph Explorer 1200. Don't know why but that bike has caught my attention.
I absolutely love my 1200 Tiger....now, would I do hard off-roading with it...nope, but have I had it in some hairy places and been just fine...yep. Would I take it fully loaded across the country and not worry too much about terrain...absolutely!

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,359 Posts
The Explorer 1200 is an awesome bike; super comfortable and really powerful. Cruise control is really nice too. Go for it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I thought the Super Tenere was one of the few bikes that looked better in the showroom than it did on the internet. Reviews were mixed, however, with some saying that the price was not justified (but not saying it was a bad bike).

It's just too big for me, especially if I ever thought I might take it off road. I'd expect a bike to get better mileage than a car, too, but I guess if you want that much hp...

It seems like a cool bike to rent, but not my first choice to own. On the other hand, if I was buying a different bike every couple of weeks, like I've heard *some* people do, then yeah, why not?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm with you Porky, no way those 500-600 lb. "dual purpose" bikes can be that good off-road, especially in Maryland where I live. I had thought I wanted a KTM 1190 Adventure, more for it's 150 HP and superbike like handling with the taller seat/upright position,but the $16,000+ price tag is a little too much. As I have read the Super Tenere is a little less capable off-road(not that it matters) and pretty good on the road while being heavier by a couple hundred pounds and cheaper by several thousand dollars than the class leading BMW and KTM. Go for it and let all of us live vicariously through your experience. By the way, my next dream bike is the Triumph Scrambler, did I read you had one? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought a new 2010 Triumph Scrambler in Black. I sold it and a 2009 Yamaha T-MAX 500 scooter about a year later to buy 2 new Honda NT700's.

The Triumph Scrambler is a perfect all around bike. The engine is superb with no fueling problems whatsoever. The ride is nice as is the placement of the handlebars and foot peg's. The transmission is slick and the clutch is easy to modulate. The flat seat is nice for a change and well padded, allowing one to move back and forth. The brakes work well for the size of the bike and aren't prone to lock-up. The lights are adequate. The 4 gallons of 87 octane fuel give about 40 mpg, probably more if one rides it frugally.

The bike has lots of torque and instant throttle response and feels faster than it really is. It moves very quickly up to about 90 mph and then seems to take a long time to reach the "Ton."

If I wanted to turn the Triumph scrambler into an Adventure bike that would equal or surpass the big trailies once the pavement ended, it would be easy and relatively inexpensive: Drop one tooth on the countershaft sprocket, change the tires for more DOT approved "Knobby/ dirt style" ones, install a good skid plate, hand guards and higher bars would be nice and maybe one of Triumphs after market high performance exhausts. (Optional)

The new for 2016 Scrambler is water cooled. Go to their web page.

There is just something about Triumph's that exude quality and history, besides beauty and everywhere I parked the bike it drew people around it, like my Rocket 3 does!

If you watched the video I provided you will see that the bike that had the least problems off road was the LITTLE Honda 250 dualsport.

Too much HP is wasted unless on the road, in my very humble opinion.

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
I felt my DRZ400 had too much power for any real off road work. You could dig a hole REAL fast.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You might also want to look at the Triumph Tiger. I have a friend who LOVES his! He rides it on the road like a sportbike, and like a 'dirt bike' off-road. I also see some 'used' ones selling for $3-7k. You might consider saving some dough and going that route.

·
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Rebel dog1, here's some spec's on the 2016 Triumph Scrambler. I was incorrect on a few things as I ASSuMEd that the Scrambler would get the new 900cc water cooled new engine but it didn't. This can be a good thing as HP and torque are higher than on the 900cc bikes.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...QxLE1qdC33plMWGVw&sig2=kfmqjhZn6zV2inOF_j1bng

Here's some specs on my past Scrambler:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/triu/triumph_scrambler 11.htm

HOG, If you think your past 400 was powerful, you should have seen and rode my past KTM 640EXC:biggrin:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ktm/ktm_640_lc4 05.htm

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Oh I know Sam. I was just stating that even a 400 is too much engine for normal off road. And after you horse one around because it digs holes instead driving out you begin to realize the big engines are road engines not off road.

·
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The terrain in the video was very wet and boggy and I think most folks would have just left the area. Of course they were making a fun video:biggrin:

I'm really surprised that they got the guy out of that deep stream!

Imagine if that had been a Victory Vision:biggrin:

Now if he'd been alone and way back in the boonies, he would have really had an ADVENTURE on his adventure bike;)

Trials bikes would have been more fun there.

Sam:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts