Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gen1 Ninja ZX14 (2006 model) which does not include an ambient outside air temperature gauge. I have been searching forums and products for a product that will attach and perform on this bike. Preferably battery powered, with a probe that I can mount out of the sunlight and protected from the wind.

If anyone has done this type on DIY install and would like to share, I'm all ears. If anyone just has a suggestion I would like to hear it as well. Thank You.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,500 Posts
I believe you can get handlebar mounted ones. Not very pretty but functional

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
I got mine from the chemist / drugstore for under $10, and hold it on with a zip tie. It has a spring thing in it. The battery powered unit went haywire in the sun, and died. The springy model does warm up in the sun, but calms down under way. I also have a cheap watch strapped to the bars.

UK

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm leaning toward this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1RDJOI. I haven't bought it yet.
Hi Roger, Thank You. I do not currently have a USB wired in this bike, but that is an interesting unit I had not seen before. Thank You for the link. I'll check to see if I can fit that size unit somewhere on the dash.

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
One of the reviewers said he cut off the USB plug and wired it to the bike's 12V. According to the item description it will operate on up to 24 VDC. The 5V USB plug is simply a convenience.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the reviewers said he cut off the USB plug and wired it to the bike's 12V. According to the item description it will operate on up to 24 VDC. The 5V USB plug is simply a convenience.
Thank You Roger for that follow up information, good to know.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If I want to know what the temp is, I just look at the home screen on my cell phone.

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
I've seen several LCD type units washout in direct sun. I'd look at all the reviews to see if any use that one or any you get, outside where direct sun might be an issue.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I want to know what the temp is, I just look at the home screen on my cell phone.
Thank You Zebraranger. My cell phone doesn't have an ambient temperature gauge and it's always off and stowed away, as one of the last thing I want when I'm riding.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've seen several LCD type units washout in direct sun. I'd look at all the reviews to see if any use that one or any you get, outside where direct sun might be an issue.
Yes that is a concern, Thank You.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts