Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the past week I have fallen absolutely in love with big engine vintage bikes. I sold both my Honda Rebel 250 and my Buell Blast and sought older and bigger metal.

As you all know, the first was an 82 GS850G with paint only a mum can love. This is me once I got the engine running well!

And tonight I'm adding a whole new level of crazy to the stable. This is a resto-modded Goldwing GL1100. The owner needed it gone ASAP and posted it for just $950. It's super clean. The paint is new, the seat is new, the carbs are new. Engine, crash bars, and chassis painted black with some blue accents, too..mmmm. It only needs a tach cable and some turn indicators (the wiring is already there).

I took it on a short ride and it only further solidified my love for these beasts!

It's going to take some getting used to the size and power jump, however I have no doubt I'll get used to it and even further become a better rider. I still have the 150cc scooter for low powered operations, too.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,445 Posts
Good looking bike. You can get serious with those fork sliders if you want but I've cleaned others up nicely by just using Marvels Mystery Oil and shop rags. If the clear-coat is still there it won't get it all off but it does a surprising good job with plain oxidation and light corrosion.

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is amusing to think that both of those bikes have a greater cylinder count, more power, and more torque than the car that brought them home! Thanks all! :)

I guess there is a benefit to keeping a window to Craigslist open all the time. That said, I'm done buying and selling things for now. I think if I sell any more vehicles this year I'll have to apply for a dealership license! That and I think I've found my sweet spot for motorcycles. These two have good engines, good gearboxes, and more than enough power to get me all over Illinois and Wisconsin. Shoot, I bet that GL1100 could probably get me across the country in comfort!

Reactions: Critter and Oz

·
On The Road Again!
4,649 Posts
On the GL1100....
First thing! Change the timing belts unless you absolutely know for sure that they were done recently.
It's an interference engine. If a belt breaks, kiss your engine goodbye.
Use only Gates belts, or NAPA which are made by Gates.
They are only about $16 each if you shop carefully.
You need two, both the same.

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the GL1100....
First thing! Change the timing belts unless you absolutely know for sure that they were done recently.
It's an interference engine. If a belt breaks, kiss your engine goodbye.
Use only Gates belts, or NAPA which are made by Gates.
They are only about $16 each if you shop carefully.
You need two, both the same.
Will do! After having owned a car with timing belts before I know how crucial they are! :eek:

Reactions: FlipFlop
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.