Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turn off the passcode/lock on your cellphone when you're out riding, esp long distance.

If you crash, you want First Responders to be able to immediately use your phone to contact your friends without having to take it to Apple to unlock.

Assuming it's still functional and you're not...

Add an ICE entry in your phone book -- In Case of Emergency or several, like ICE1, ICE2, ICE3

You see, this is the TRUE advantage of the new Apple Iphone 5s. They can press my cold dead finger up against the sensor and STILL unlock the phone ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I have an orange card laminated with clear packing tape in my wallet. It has emergency numbers and some medical info on it. Kinda fool proof.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
In 2005, my middle son had a terrible head-on, killing two in the other vehicle. He was near death, on scene, air-lifted to the ETU. He survived, and he even recovered from his horrific injuries, contrary to everything we were initially told. Now, here is the kicker:

His girlfriend called me to inform me of the accident, and that he was air-lifted out, even though it was at the edge of town. We were contacted by the LEO's three hours later! We showed up at the ETU, and we were ignored by the LEO's the entire time in the ETU. They finally talked to us outside of the Trauma ICU ward.

Think what you want, but cards in your wallet, necklaces around your neck (Insulin-Dependant Diabetic -- had the necklace ignored several times by EMT's -- waste of money...), are all ignored, until possilby hours, or even days, later. It gives you some comfort, and maybe a little hope, but it's a fake feeling, IMO. They serve the same purpose as GI's putting one dog tag in their boot laces. YMMV. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Said in another thread, but

I don't need to ride with my phone unlocked. My lock screen on my phone is my emergency contact info.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
On android, first responders can get to emergency numbers without having to have the phone unlocked. Not sure about apple. But if you look at bottom of lock screen, there's the emergency number tab thingy. You press that, then another window pops up with + marks. Not only can you dial 911 here, if you press one of the + signs, anything you list as ICE or Emergency numbers will come up. Keep emergency numbers in your wallet, with registration, or in saddle bags.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
iPhone

I took a screenshot of my wife's contact info, which I temporarily changed her first name to "Emerency Contact" and last name to her full name. I cropped it down to the essentials, turned it 90 degrees to fit the screen better, and went into settings and made it my lock screen image.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I wear a RoadID when I run or ride. It includes info like my blood type and my wife's phone number.
Same here. Since I usually put my wallet and phone in my bar bag so they don't fall out of my pockets there's a good chance that me and my ID will be separated in a crash.

My RoadID has wife's name/number, doctor name/number, blood type, NKA (no known allergies) and organ donor status (hopefully won't be needed for a long time).

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Can someone tell me how to do this?
Answering my own question here, LOCK TEXT is a .99 app for the Iphone. It works well enough although, I won't say great.

It was the 4th or 5th app I looked at. Many want to push advertising at you or required photo editing skills just to type in some contact text.

It creates a wallpaper which you then have to go in and select in SETTINGS.

Editing the text you create in it doesn't work well, kinda have to type it in perfectly --- or again! Had trouble moving the editing cursor.

but for a buck it'll get 'er done.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Makes sense. When they found me along the freeway, they found my phone but they had to ask me for its password. Then they found people with the same last name and they called my son and my sister.

You do need a lock on your smart phone, because when you lose it or it's stolen, the finder or the thief can steal your identity and all your money. My smart phones are encrypted.

I'll think about creating a lock screen with ICE info. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Think what you want, but cards in your wallet, necklaces around your neck (Insulin-Dependant Diabetic -- had the necklace ignored several times by EMT's -- waste of money...), are all ignored, until possilby hours, or even days, later. It gives you some comfort, and maybe a little hope, but it's a fake feeling, IMO. They serve the same purpose as GI's putting one dog tag in their boot laces. YMMV. Cheers!
:coffee:

*THIS*

I work in LE.....and I work closely with EMT, fire and rescue.

If there is REAL trauma and your unconscious - nobody is looking at that ****. Your wasting your time and money.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I have created an "ICE" number in all our phones over the years. Just BECAUSE "First Responders" will look for it on purpose. They will obviously be focused on stabilizing you first and foremost, and that is entirely appropriate, but the second step, brings into play, "who do we contact" question.

Also carrying a card that gives your Blood Type and any other pertinent medical info, is a great idea!

-Soupy

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I have created an "ICE" number in all our phones over the years. Just BECAUSE "First Responders" will look for it on purpose. They will obviously be focused on stabilizing you first and foremost, and that is entirely appropriate, but the second step, brings into play, "who do we contact" question.

Also carrying a card that gives your Blood Type and any other pertinent medical info, is a great idea!

-Soupy
Again, this has NOT been my experience. Maybe in the hospital after everything has calmed down.....maybe.

A first responder on the scene - nope, they dont have time nor do they care about your ICE information. They dont even care about your blood type.

Contrary to e-mail warnings, ICE is not something that Paramedics rush to look for the instant they arrive at an emergency, and is certainly not required for LAFD Paramedics to provide quick, focused and compassionate emergency care.
http://lafd.blogspot.com/2005/08/lafd-talks-about-ice.html

Plain and simple, paramedics dont contact anyone....just not needed at that point.

.....I do think it may be helpful later at the hospital.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I'm not too worried about anyone getting quickly contacted as I'm on my way to the hospital. I'm was more thinking of someone getting notified eventually so they can make arrangements to get the bike and what not. I figured when the cop looks through my wallet to identify the body he'd see the orange card right behind my license and be able to make a call. Thought it might stand out a bit.

And if by chance I live I figured the person doing the registration at the hospital would see it too and note that it has my meds listed on it. Not that critical but even if I'm awake I doubt I'll be in a condition to remember what they are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts