Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to lay it down last week. The crash report sums it all up. I'm vehicle 1.

"V1 was heading East bound on McGaffey. V1 pulled into turn lane to make a left hand turn into the Albertson's parking lot. V2 was in the parking lot of O'Rielly's auto parts store trying to make a left heading west bound on McGaffey. V2 pulled out in front of V1 which was in the turning lane causing V1 to hit V2. Driver of V1 stated that he saw V2 pull out of the parking lot and tried to beat west bound traffic on McGaffey. Driver of V1 stated that he did not have enough time to stop to avoid hitting V2. Driver of V2 stated that she thought the intersection was clear and did not see V1 in the turning lane. A witness pulling out of the Albertson's parking lot advised that the driver of V2 was trying to make a left hand turn did not see the driver of V1 in the turning lane. The witness advised that the driver of V2 proceeded to pull out quickly to beat the oncoming west bound traffic causing V1 to hit V2."

"Enforcement Actions: V2; Careless Driving; Failure to provide Registration on demand."

She was cited on the report under "Apparent Contributing Factors" for "Failure to yield right away; Driver inattention." Me "None".

She was on top of me before I could really do anything. She accelerated wanting to merge into traffic. I had to lay it down. Crazy how MCs tumble. When I laid it down, it hit the right side foot peg just barely, pics to follow, and rolled back up, righted itself, just as we were making contact with the vehicles left front bumper. As it hit, the left side engine guard and foot peg got wedged under the bumper so it was as if the MC was glued to the front bumper. Good thing or it would have fallen back on top of me. As you will see the engine guards did their job. The witness was on top of me before I got up telling me to be still. I was in no hurry. Still sore and bruised. Wear your gear people. Even if it is just a half helmet. I was just going for hamburger buns and a six pack.

Right side peg where it hit just at the bottom of the peg only at rolled back up.

Right side shoulder and elbow.

Where my head hit the pavement.

Besides the foot peg and the slightest of blemish on the edge of the right side mirror where it was just gonna hit there is no damage to the right side, the side I laid it down on. And no damage at all to the rear of the MC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, glad to hear you're okay. Good on you for wearing your gear, this is why I'm building up the habit of always wearing the jacket, gloves, boots, helmet even just down the road. Never know when you're gonna need it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can disagree about wearing gear or not, the discussions and opinions are tiresome and endless- you can't change some rider's minds until they go down.

Don't anyone try to tell me that the gear you chose to wear didn't pay for itself and more right now. I hate dealing with road rash and broken bones.

Your bike will be fixed and made right, but more importantly your body has a lot less healing to do in spite of what that dingbat in the cage did to you. You never know when your number comes up on the street, despite how experienced you are.

Seems you've made good choices that paid off here- carry on and get back up asap.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
So glad it wasn't worse. Take care of yourself! keep your eyes open and keep thinking "that guy is going to turn left right in front of me". It may help in the future.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh wow, I bet that was scary. I'm glad you're ok! Did you end up riding your bike home?
No, I had it towed home. I was kinda freaked out. I couldn't get it started. I believe the fuel shut off might have kicked in. It starts now. I will take it in to the dealer for an estimate tomorrow or the day after. $80.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Glad you were wearing the gear and are OK tankhead.

I always wear ATGATT, even for a ride to the supermarket for a bottle of milk.

Pulled up for a sports bike rider who'd hit a slick of diesel on a roundabout, just at around town speed. He'd been wearing thongs, shorts, tee shirt, no gloves and a helmet (compulsory here in Oz). All I could do was put a blanket on my car seat and drive him to A&E. He was just going down to the shops for a packet of cigarettes. He was off work for weeks.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
We all know that we should wear our gear, all the time, but for many of us in hot weather we would end up not riding rather than sweltering in effective riding gear, i.e., taking our chances. Most of the time it works out just fine. The one time I went down I broke some ribs but didn't have any other damage because I was wearing a helmet, gloves and a decent leather jacket.

I will add one thing: having ABS can really make a difference in your type accident. Knowing that you can brake as hard as you can gives you the confidence to try to stop rather than "laying it down". It might not have been the answer, but without ABS most riders have learned never to panic brake, and sometimes it is the only way to stop in time.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Wow Tankhead sorry to hear, but glad to hear at the end everything is going to be OK :)

It's amazing based on the amount of flopping the bike did, it came out surprisingly good. And you did too!

·
Registered
304 Posts
You can disagree about wearing gear or not, the discussions and opinions are tiresome and endless- you can't change some rider's minds until they go down.

Don't anyone try to tell me that the gear you chose to wear didn't pay for itself and more right now. I hate dealing with road rash and broken bones.

Your bike will be fixed and made right, but more importantly your body has a lot less healing to do in spite of what that dingbat in the cage did to you. You never know when your number comes up on the street, despite how experienced you are.

Seems you've made good choices that paid off here- carry on and get back up asap.

I see people dressed like this all the time and I want to scream at them to put some clothes on.

·
Registered
699 Posts
It might not have been the answer, but without ABS most riders have learned never to panic brake, and sometimes it is the only way to stop in time.
Most riders? Really? Any rider who has been through a MSF BRC knows that "panic braking or panic stops" (otherwise known as braking to full potential) is the preferred thing to do in these situations. I am curious as to where you are meeting all of these people who have "learned never to panic brake"? Laying it down went out with the folks that think you should never touch the front brake because it is going to flip your bike over end to end.

·
Left. No, the other left.
219 Posts
Holy cats! That must have been terrifying.
good for you on keeping your wits, and glad you walked away from it.
Hopefully this fills your bad luck quotient for a while...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts