Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't even have my first bike yet, but I want to get the right gear before I buy a bike.
I love leather, and it's great whenever I ride as a passenger, but the problem is, I live in AZ. And it's June. We have 100 degree weather here, mid 90s on good days.
Are armored jackets made of lighter/more breathable materials still good for protection?
I already have a heavier leather jacket when I'd ride as a passenger when it was cooler out, but it's also about 3 sizes too big, which I have a feeling will no be good for driving.
Thanks in advance :wink:

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Armored textile or mesh jackets provide a good measure of protection. Leather generally has better abrasion resistance. Getting heat stroke while riding is a real concern, however.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Believe it or not, once temps hit 100º here my leather shirt works better than my mesh textile jacket. I have to leave the sleeves unsnapped to get a liitle air though. The sun is just too intense for just a long sleeve T-shirt at those temps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe it or not, once temps hit 100º here my leather shirt works better than my mesh textile jacket. I have to leave the sleeves unsnapped to get a liitle air though. The sun is just too intense for just a long sleeve T-shirt at those temps.
Thanks, I'll give leather a shot :) Plus it looks hella awesome

·
Registered
21 Posts
What leather do you guys recommend? I have a leather jacket already but it is probably a little on the heavy/warm side

·
Registered
11 Posts
Leather offers the best protection, I laid a previous bike down in the mountains years ago, my leather saved my hide. A good quality motorcycle jacket will have ventilation options, zippers with vents at the back, so when it's hot the air comes in your sleeves, and out the back vents. The key is for it to be a riding jacket, not just any leather jacket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll have to start shopping around for a good riding jacket then. Does anyone have a good reccomendation as far as that goes?

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Mesh/fabric jackets provide very good protection -- just not as good as leather. I went down in a fabric riding jacket, on blacktop, doing 40 MPH. I slid around 40-60 feet. My son, who was my passenger, went down in a $70 "cheapie" riding jacket. My jacket was barely damaged (only one cuff showed any damage -- still serviceable, still hanging in my garage); my son's jacket saved his elbow from being ground half away (the foam elbow armor was half gone... the jacket was ruined, but my son suffered minor road rash on the backs of his thighs where he slid without protection other than denim jeans). Textile jackets are lighter weight, can have very good ventilation, as well as being waterproof, and easy to care for.

Leather is what racers wear, bar none, but they ride at speeds of around 200 MPH. I hit 80 MPH. only occasionally, so I really don't feel the need for full leathers. If you go with a textile jacket, make sure it has 600 Denier Cordura, which is the minimum level considered legitimately protective (note that my son's jacket was less than 600 Denier...). Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Get something in armored mesh that is anything but black. All the ventilation in the world won't help worth squat when you're covered in sun-soaking black.

A lighter colored lid helps too. My white full face keeps me cooler in Vegas' 110 temps far more efficiently than my black half helmet.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
When it goes north of 100 here in South Texas, I typically go to a good white longsleeve tshirt.

Cooler than wearing nothing, I guarantee.

I wear leather when it's cold out, not an armor guy, so I realize I'm not much help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts