Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1976 Kawasaki KZ750 B with 13k on it. Ive ridden over 500 miles since i bought the bike two weeks ago. It has ran perfect for me until yesterday. The bike will start fine. She idles decently once warm. Unfortunately, every time i shift into gear and try to take off she spits and sputters. If i shift below 3000rpm, she doesn't jerk or sputter. If i try to go over 3000 rpm in gear, she starts jerking, popping, sputtering and the occasional backfire. In neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled, i can rev to the redline without her sputtering. Other than the obvious carburetor problem, would there be anything I'm missing? Ive changed spark plugs, i religiously use NGK plugs. Oil is new, oil filter is as well. Could there be an internal problem in the motor or transmission? I plan on buying a carb rebuild kit within the week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I'm a mere novice when it comes to the mechanics of a motorcycle. I have no idea. The local shop will not look at my bike due to it being so old

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
sounds like a tuneup is in order. get plugs, wires, check the timing, flush your petcocks, get your feet outta the carbs, and if your still a novice after all this, trade it for a '69 beetle and take a step up from two wheels!
Most sputtering, spitting and rough starting is a sign of bad maintenance...
Carbs are fairly trustworthy, and rarely need any adjusting, unless some tinker tried to adjust them....frankly, you need a tune-up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After flushing the gas tank, cleaning the petcock, installing new fuel lines and in line filters and cleaning the carburetors the bike runs like a champ. I did find debris inside of the petcock. With a slight adjustment of the idler screw, starting is no longer rough. Even the kick start is a one time deal and I'm not that big of a guy. It was quite simple compared to what i originally envisioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts