Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
How about a drag race, rolling start perhaps, 10-100mph. On a track, OF COURSE...

There are also lots of little g-force boxes now on the market that will tell you g-levels, acceleration times, etc. Probably even an iPhone app.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant more in theory. I plan to be on a KLR and my dad's on a Goldwing and I just want to know if he will be leaving me in the dust every time we ride? He swears I will want something more than a 650 later on but if I can keep up with his Goldwing I don't see why I would ever need it.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
If you both stay within the speed limit he shouldn't be able to get out of sight :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's how fast he and I can get to the speed limit that worries me, haha. Guess I will just have to find out once I get my bike.

·
14,301 Posts
Don't worry about him, if he wants to ride with you he will adjust after a fashion.

Just remember to ride your own ride, don't try to ride someone elses. And if he doesn't it will be his loss as you will find others to ride with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's my dad, haha. He is the only person I will ever ride with, i'm not the social type. He won't ever leave me but if he can easily out run me he will probably do it more often than not just because, at least on entry ramps. Not to mention he's been on a cycle since his teen years and I have still yet to touch one, August 21st will be my first time during the course. So I will have a lot of catching up to do.

·
14,301 Posts
Take your time learning to ride and let him run off in the distance if that is what he wants to do.

As your dad he should want you to learn to ride properly by practicing and not rush into tryng to keep up.

For some reason I read 'daughter' in your replies. If I am wrong I apologize.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem keeping up with him because the performance at say 30-60 mph (where it's important) won't be too different. It is just that you and the bike will need to work much harder to keep up with your Dad. More gear changing (huge difference in torque) and the riding position and lack of protection on the KLR will be like riding into a hurricane at cruising speeds. Much more tiring for you.

But, as others have posted...ride your own ride, he will soon get tired of stopping and waiting for you.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
My scooter with an automatic (cvt), well, riders who have to shift, even much more powerful bikes are usually behind me until we both get up to speed. Unless they go into "race" mode.

It will depend on the gearing of both bikes and how high your father revs before each shift as to who's going to naturally pull away from the other at green lights.

Most important thing is "Ride your own ride!" If Dad wants to run yellows or make "hero" passes, wave him goodbye! Don't follow him into the bumper of the car he decides to turn left in front of. Make your own decisions, how fast to ride, when to turn, when to wait, which lights to go for, clear your own intersections before turning....... and meet up at your next stopping point if you get separated.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I meant more in theory. I plan to be on a KLR and my dad's on a Goldwing and I just want to know if he will be leaving me in the dust every time we ride? He swears I will want something more than a 650 later on but if I can keep up with his Goldwing I don't see why I would ever need it.
He says you will want......

You say you can't see why you will need......

Do you know why all the manufacturers make bigger and bigger engines?

Because the owners of their bikes don't need a new bike with the same size engine.

In 2016, you'll be on here asking which 1000cc bike you should get, because you need more power.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
There's gotta be some sort of study or data available about the "0 to 60" facts for both bikes.

However, I'd rather role in, calmly and with class; than to speed in with aggression and immaturity.

-Soupy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a daughter, a son. He's 46 and i'm 27.

Well, from what I seem to catch in the comments is he will most likely be able to accelerate much faster than I, bummer. I was hoping a lighter bike would be able to keep up.

Maybe in the future I will want a 1000cc bike, guess we'll find out. I don't plan on ever putting myself in danger and neither would my father, but he will show off if he knows here is no danger just because. I can just feel the "I told you so" if I ever get a 1000cc+ bike :(

Oh well, I can always take off on a trail on the KLR and be like "come get me now!" Just like kayaking I suppose, something that works for two things can't specialize in either.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Proper gear selection will see you staying with him pretty well unless he is out to leave you behind on purpose. In that case he will have a power advantage. If he rides that wing like a normal person you will have no trouble keeping up. If he ditches you on purpose, well nobody said an a**hole couldn't dump you.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
My dad and I used to ride together and I was expected to keep up..he on a Harley and me on my bsa 250....made me a better rider....

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
2008 Kawasaki KLR650: 0-60 mph 6.3 | Quarter mile 14.8
2005 Honda Gold Wing: 0-60 mph 4.1 | Quarter mile 12.4

He will be able to leave you in the dust if he wants to. But, the KLR is still quicker than most cars and will be fine for riding with a Goldwing as long as the Goldwing pilot is considerate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2008 Kawasaki KLR650: 0-60 mph 6.3 | Quarter mile 14.8
2005 Honda Gold Wing: 0-60 mph 4.1 | Quarter mile 12.4

He will be able to leave you in the dust if he wants to. But, the KLR is still quicker than most cars and will be fine for riding with a Goldwing as long as the Goldwing pilot is considerate.
Thank you so much, that is exactly what I was looking for!! I am actually leaning towards a Versys now which I understand has quite initial power difference than the KLR. I just don't think I will be off road enough to justify the KLR. Would you happen to have the 0-60 of a Kawasaki Versys 650?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 20 Posts