Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/21/journalism-freelancer-gam_n_7344592.html?utm_hp_ref=new-york-times

Most folks have no clue how freelancers operate. You come up with an idea for a story, pitch it to a magazine/paper, and THEN write it.

I became a successful writer as "the one eyed-man in the land of the blind" writing for engineering firms who didn't give a R.A. about grammar.

They just didn't want to explain "gate array" vs. "gatorade" to some English / Journalism major.

Eventually I learned a bit of grammar. English teachers STILL point out my errors, but I canpay them $10/hour to fix grammar on an article I sell for a couple thou.

Writing isn't so much an occupation as it is a COMPULSION. I process my life, my motorcycle rides, the things I learn, by writing about them.

If an article informs, entertains, or educates, I've achieved my goal. (Especially if I can tell someone read it ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM.)

I learned VERY early on that if you can tell a compelling story, NOBODY give's a R.A about your grammar or misspellings!

What becoming a professional writer (meaning: paid, making a LIVING at it) taught me was structure: An overview first paragraph, so if they read nothing else. A second paragraph containing a "hook." A final paragraph summarizing the entire piece. And the meat im-between those.

The value of direct quotes cannot be understated.

The Internet has largely destroyed the "business" of writing. Pay (per word) is lower than ever. I'm not a famous name, a Jon Krakauer. Outside Magazine ignores my calls/queries.

What you need is an editor who will buy not only your once-in-alifetime pieces, but some of your medium stuff as well. And as soon as you establish such a relationship, they quit, get fired, move on, and it's starting all over again.

I've written about everything under the sun. Murder cases, airplane crashes, God, Love, drag racing, flying.... check out a fiew of my pieces at

www.wadenelson.com/best.html

Guaranteed SOMETHING there will capture your interest or make you laugh.

When did I "get published" or "become a writer?" The day I posted 5 of my stories up at a local coffeehouse. I couldn't find a buyer for any of 'em. But I pinned several of my best to a bulletin board, and came back a few days later to find 2 gone, and the rest with innumerable holes in 'em from being taken down and read. I'd entertained some folks. That was good enough for me.

Writing is one thing, learning how to GET PAID for yur work is a whole other ballgame, and is where most aspiring writers fail.

Again, I made my $ writing for engineering firms since they wanted and NEEDED an engineer who could write, not an english major they'd have to spend days 'splaining things to.

Will I ever write a book? unlikely. Will I one day get on staff with some sort of motorcycle magazine? Sure would like to. I was an editor with MAster Technician, which was up there with Motor and Motor Age, the rags your auto mechanic reads. IT was a good gig.

My best or favorite article? Probably this one. (needs editing!)

http://www.durangotelegraph.com/03-09-18/end_of_the_line.htm

I"m now at the stage where I should probably be an editor, not a writer, as I can "fix" someone else's writing without losing THEIR voice, THEIR style. I can fix it to where they go ..."This is a LOT better...but I can't exactly tell what you did!"

Piece is about hiring contractors, and the practice (*lying) it takes to become a LIE-censed contractor. lol

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I understand your compulsion to write your every thought, but wish you could resist the compulsion to post them. They have something called Facebook for that.;)

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Agreed

I understand your compulsion to write your every thought, but wish you could resist the compulsion to post them. They have something called Facebook for that.;)
Agreed:
I too have day dreams, but on a site like this, I do not post them. Rather, if a question is posed by a member, and I think I know a little about the subject matter, I reply.

I have no interest in chasing or trying to understand another persons wet dreams.

Unkle Crusty*

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Fine!!
I guess I'll just delete the article I'm working on where I describe my lifelong desire to become a 3lb. slab of bacon.:mad::mad:

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
ODE, go for it! It would be more interesting than any of the OP's recent narcissistic diatribes. Mmmm...bacon.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
Fine!!
I guess I'll just delete the article I'm working on where I describe my lifelong desire to become a 3lb. slab of bacon.:mad::mad:
You do that, and you'll become best friends with my cast iron fry pan XD

(followed by becoming close palls with the burger...)

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ODE, go for it! It would be more interesting than any of the OP's recent narcissistic diatribes. .
Tell me again, Jag, who it is holding a gun to your head and FORCING you to read my nacrissistic diatribes?

What? You could just skip reading them? But instead you read, and denigrate them instead? (Without writing anything worthwhile of your own? )

Nobody told you about the IGNORE button you can apply to narcissistic posters? Pity.

Funny how so many here READ my stuff, some of which IS utter crap, and then complain rather than writing something MORE interesting, informative, or entertaining.

Think I"ll just keep taking Vertical Media's paychecks to keep the number of clicks on this site high, regardless of the, ahh, "positive feedback."

·
Very Famous Person
9,695 Posts
--

What's with you people? This is the "Off Topic" category made for posts that are not related to the main subject matter of bikes. If you don't want to read something other than "bikes," then stay out of here.

If you read some of Wade's stuff, you'll see that there are some great stories on his web page. If you don't want to go that far because you think only the stuff you approve of should be posted, then keep it to yourself unless you think you are doing some others a favor by keeping them from some harm. Or that he's hurting someone. Or that he's unfairly berating a newbie that doesn't have any skin in the game yet and needs some codling from the do-gooders here.

You are not in the superior class and need to make comments yourself just to try to put down someone else regardless of how you may like them. :mad:

--

·
Very Famous Person
9,695 Posts
--

I need to add. Not to say anyone should never disagree with the opinions or facts someone presents. That's one thing that keeps us from being uninformed hoi polloi (or as is commonly called, "the low information voter").

I'm just arguing that we don't have a right to protest someone wishing to make a point of view. That's called Freedom of Speech.

--

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I never claimed I was forced in any way to read them. I don't "ignore" posts just because I don't agree with or like them. How would I even know wether to ignore a post unless i read it? But a poster (especially a professional writer)should be willing to take the negative feedback as well as the positive.
I find a many of your threads to be long-winded, narcissistic, diatribes. Am I not entitled to voice my thoughts and opinions? You don't seem to have any issues with your own negative comments of others here, yet when the critisism is aim in your direction you take issue with it.

Ronk: I never said anything about keeping others from reading anyones posts, or that posts should be limited on the basis of wether I agree/dis-agree with them, or that anyone was being hurt. I simply offered an opinion as to my views on the much of the OP's current threads. Are we now required to censure ourselves to only positive replies so as not to offend others? I guess free speech we agree with IS the only speech that is protected today. :(

·
8,668 Posts
Wade has taken to MOL farting and leaving the room with some of his threads. So he has kinda opened himself up to criticism. And he should ditch the narcissism because when he's not so intent on talking himself up his posts can be quite entertaining.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
"New posts" doesn't discriminate between off topic and Moto related material. If others are like me, they click on interesting topic titles, and we're disappointed by what they found when they got here.

So, in one way we chose to come here, in another way we were duped.

C

·
0 Posts
I think I will stay out of this thread.

I will say though, and that is all, why should freedom of speech be giving here when it is not giving to me in any form or fashion?

Truth be known, tired of it.

·
Very Famous Person
9,695 Posts
I think I will stay out of this thread.

I will say though, and that is all, why should freedom of speech be giving here when it is not giving to me in any form or fashion?

Truth be known, tired of it.
--

That's because you are totally out of fashion. Your wife is probably ashamed to go out in public with you. :biggrin:

--

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Wade; I apologize. I'm sorry, I'm not usually like that. We all have our days though. Moving on.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
--

What's with you people? This is the "Off Topic" category made for posts that are not related to the main subject matter of bikes. If you don't want to read something other than "bikes," then stay out of here.

If you read some of Wade's stuff, you'll see that there are some great stories on his web page. If you don't want to go that far because you think only the stuff you approve of should be posted, then keep it to yourself unless you think you are doing some others a favor by keeping them from some harm. Or that he's hurting someone. Or that he's unfairly berating a newbie that doesn't have any skin in the game yet and needs some codling from the do-gooders here.

You are not in the superior class and need to make comments yourself just to try to put down someone else regardless of how you may like them. :mad:

--
This^^^^^

I just cannot understand why anyone would mistakenly read a Wade post when Wade is the AUTHOR OF THE THREAD. Open this thread and it is easy to see that Wade is the author and the first post is long. So just don't read it then!

And here I am talking about Wade like he is not even in the room. My apologies sir, but I did not know how else to get the point across. I will say that I enjoyed the thread, or at least some of the short articles in it..

I have been the author of a few threads with zero replies. When it happens, it is a worse feeling than someone pointing out that I am wrong about my subject or whatever. Shunned like a fallen Amish ,I cannot wait until the thread disappears from the page.

I am not perfect, and I am sure that I am guilty of some of the same that I am complaining about here. I remember what a boss once said to me. "When you point a finger at someone,do you realize that three are pointing back?"

So with some hesitation, I am hitting the 'submit reply' button.......

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
--

--
Always gunna be haters no matter where u go.....
It sucks, but it's the way it is....
I say do ur thing n just ignore the haters.....
:71baldboy:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,532 Posts
Note to self

(make a post on any of Slum's threads)

Been there Slum. It is even worse when you think it is something important or interesting

·
8,668 Posts
Note to self

(make a post on any of Slum's threads)

Been there Slum. It is even worse when you think it is something important or interesting
Never realized how many threads you two guys start. I don't read every thread unless the title interests me. To tell you the truth I almost didn't open this one, but the way Wade has been screwing around I opened it just out of curiosity.
Sometimes watching a train wreck is more interesting than watching a flower bloom.

If I were better with the written word I would start more threads. You guys keep it up though, this forum needs your types.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts