Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Wow its been a long time. School and work have all but robbed me completely of social interaction outside the professional.

I have still been managing to ride to work and school though! Save when it snowed. :( I'm not that hardcore yet.

Anyways.... The question I beg of ye sages of motorcycles:

Do you or have you owned a 800 suzuki intruder? If so, what year? What is the most critical tips, advice, or knowledge can you impart on this bike? One bad thing I heard was you have to double roll the throttle on the highway which is something more common with lower CC bikes as far as my knowledge goes, which is minute at most. Please let me know! I am thinking of getting one for my dad as a starter bike. He hates double rolling the throttle though as he had a 450 honda cb that he would need to do that on long interstate treks.

Thank you!

Vixxen

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
I currently ride an '05 VS800GL, S50 Boulevard, which is the re-named Intruder. Never heard the double-roll throttle thing, and never needed to. What is needed is a good carb sync, both at idle and at open throttle; idle is 1000-1250 rpm (1200 is best), and you will oil starve the top end if you set it lower than 1000. If you don't know how long its been, change ALL the fluids; brake, clutch, gear oil, motor oil, and coolant. Don't forget the Bars Leaks in the coolant, as it lubricates the water pump. Valve tappets should be checked. Add a couple psi to the tires over the chart, as it will ride better. Also, check the oil level correctly, with the bike vertical, not on the stand, or you will oil-soak the rear air cleaner; stock air cleaners are replaced every 7500 miles, BTW. If the brake and clutch lines are 7 or more years old, it's time for new.

And, keep the shiny side up!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts