Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am starting to look for my first bike. I am 22 and i live in Europe so i am limited to 35kw (A2 license). My first choice was the ninja 300 as i like the way it looks and i see it's recommended for beginners. So after some days of looking at the 300s around i found out i need a minimum 400cc for the exam and since i don't want to rent or go to driving school(+500€) i started to look for some bigger bikes. My first choices now are the Honda CB 500 F (2012 - 15) (purely because the R costs more) and the MT-03 660cc (2006 -14). The main difference i found out about these 2 bikes are the number or cylinders other than the engine displacement (the cb has 2, the mt-03 has 1).What's the main difference between 1 and 2 cylinders bike? Which one is more reliable?I am trying to search a motorcycle that has less than 30.000km (18000 miles), around 3000€ and no older than 2009. I want to keep this bike for a while and i need your opinions guys about what bike to buy as my first bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For what it's worth I am also considering a CB500F for my first bike. Got some great feedback from the folks here and now I'm even more certain this will be my first bike as long as it feels right when I sit in the saddle. You can read some of the comments at the following link if you like:

Am I choosing the right bike for an old, first time rider?

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new machine. :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Both engines are hardy and reliable. Naturally, a single cylinder is not as complex as a twin, but neither is hard to maintain. The main differences you will note are the characteristics of their powerbands -- a single will generally have more torque in the low rev range, while a twin will rev higher and produce a bit more horsepower -- and the feel of riding them, as singles tend to be a little more "buzzy" while twins usually exhibit a bit less vibration. I have owned and enjoyed singles and twins. Either bike will give you "advanced beginner" performance that you will be able to enjoy for a long time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For what it's worth I am also considering a CB500F for my first bike. Got some great feedback from the folks here and now I'm even more certain this will be my first bike as long as it feels right when I sit in the saddle. You can read some of the comments at the following link if you like:

Am I choosing the right bike for an old, first time rider?

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new machine. :)
Thanks for the the advice, hope you get a nice motorcycle :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advices, i think i will go for a CB500F
Both engines are hardy and reliable. Naturally, a single cylinder is not as complex as a twin, but neither is hard to maintain. The main differences you will note are the characteristics of their powerbands -- a single will generally have more torque in the low rev range, while a twin will rev higher and produce a bit more horsepower -- and the feel of riding them, as singles tend to be a little more "buzzy" while twins usually exhibit a bit less vibration. I have owned and enjoyed singles and twins. Either bike will give you "advanced beginner" performance that you will be able to enjoy for a long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts