1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,319 Posts
Skinny tires on that bike with what looks like a bent handlebar

·
Nightfly
3,670 Posts
Interesting race. The guy who looked as if he didn't belong out there, his riding style and his bike was opposite to the other riders, And yet he won the race handily...Not much of a fan base with almost no one in the stands. Where was the race held??

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
Could this be a good example of,
it's not what you ride
but how you ride it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Handlebars were cocked, skinny tires, and the seat looks like it's offset to the left. Obviously the owner made the bike to suit his riding style. I agree...some sort of custom flat track racer. I'm sure they weren't going fast enough to make a difference, but I got a kick out of his upright riding style. No need to lay over the tank, tuck in behind the windshield, or hang your ass off the bike going thru a corner. His position reminds me of the way racing was done back in the 50s' and 60s'.

·
Nightfly
3,670 Posts
Thanks for the great article on Japanese auto racing. Never heard of it but sure seems to be a great idea. Making the races short like they do makes it easy to keep interest. Something NASCAR should look into.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I knew there was something up with that video so I went digging a little deeper. At first I thought the guy in the yellow shirt may have been handicapped and had a bike built just for him. I was really surprised when I found zabikers and saw it was a popular sport in Japan. Turns out those sports bikes were way outclassed just because of what they were and who they were riding against. He was positioned last, so he was the best rider according to the rules, and had a bike tuned for the track!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Watched that race again. As wide as that track is, I wonder if one of those sport bike riders could have won, if he had run a higher line?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I kind of doubt that. "Tyres are shaved KR73 Dunlops. These are favoured because of their triangular shape, which benefits traction when the bike is heeled over. The tyres are shaved for less squirm under load." Besides the tires, the handlebar bending makes them almost the same position as normal riding when the bike is healed over. The more upright body position lifts the bike to a perfect angle for the left elbow to support on the knee of the skate foot for maximum stability on the contact patch of the tire. I don't think the sports bikes had a chance against a bike so perfectly tuned for the track surface power, torque and body position, not to mention the rider size and weight requirements.

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
Do you think the left foot has metal for the sole, for less friction as well?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I looked into it a little more and one announcer said they wear iron slippers on the left boot. I would like to see one. I swear in a couple of shots I could see daylight between the sole of the boot and the track. I thought it might have been wheels but it may be rows of iron sliders on the sides spaced to reduce friction heat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts