Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 6.4' athletic male. I am 22 years old but driving around major metropolitan areas used to be a major part of my job so I have solid driving experience under my belt. I have experience riding dirt bikes. I have only been maybe 10-12 times but I would go all day and due to my athleticism and youth I am comfortable moving pretty fast up and down black diamonds trails on a 400cc Honda 4 stroke (only bike I would ride). I spent my youth riding road bicycles all over, all day too. What I am trying to say is I am less of a fish than most new riders. I am also very tall, 6 4' like I said, and many of the bikes good for taller people have larger motors. I am about 200 lbs and strong. I want to ride the bike an hour or two a day in the morning and night under low traffic conditions practicing on streets and highway. I know the risks of riding motorcycles. I'm a moderately conservative person yet I love adrenaline and pushing my limits under the right conditions. I know I should start on something smaller. But given my specific situation how small? I would love some suggestions. Maybe you could give me an opinion on how ambitious (in terms of pushing my limits) each suggestion would be. Thank you so much!

·
Very Famous Person
10,009 Posts
--

Wow, you sound very much like me, except I'm a little older. Just one thing I would say: Don't let your enthusiasm and self confidence override your rationality. Stay conservative at ALL times when riding and you'll be okay. Whatever you end up riding or where.

--

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice. What did you start out on and if you got to choose again what would you do differently? Thanks for sharing the wisdom. I know pushing limits its part of growth but I also know the dangers of motorcycling. I will be operate between conservative and conservatively ambitious as I am learning and trying to improve. I will operate conservatively there after once I have developed my skills under optimally safe conditions. I hope this does not sound over confident but this is my general plan.

·
Very Famous Person
10,009 Posts
--

Just as no two roads or turns are the same, no two bikes are either. Your situation will constantly change, which is why most of us ride bikes since we want to be in the open and part our surroundings. You can't do that in an enclosed vehicle.

You are vibrant and adaptive enough to be able to handle any bike you get on if you keep your head straight and control to your right hand. I hadn't ridden for 43 years when I got on the Road Star 1600 in my avatar. But the bike just felt so good. I felt right at home. It was a part of me. So the first year I had it, I rode it 25,000 miles.

I would always think it good to see something that will fit one's parameters, sit on it, and if it's right then go for it. Remember, almost no one doesn't move on to another bike in a year or six. It's a process, not a terminal stop.

--

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.