Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to say goodbye to my faithful German Shepherd friend this week. She was full of cancer. Just as all of you who've lost a companion pet know, it leaves a mighty big void. I keep turning around expecting her to be there...

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I"m sorry for you loss, Metal.

Pets show us what humans OUGHT to be like, infinitely accepting, loving and forgiving. God with 4 paws.

Be at peace, if there's a human heaven there's just GOT to be a dog heaven too with grass fields, things to chase, and brothers/sisters to be reunited with. New strong limbs, cancer-free, able to run and run and run.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Sorry to hear. Its always hard to lose a pet. They truly are our most loyal friends. :frown:

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
We lost our Pug, my cat and our outside mutt shelter dog last year and our Boxer the year before that. All but the cat died of old age. The cat had bladder cancer. We still miss them all. We now have another little dog (a peagle) mix between a beagle and a pekingese. I really believe that we have spoiled her so much more due to the loss of all the others.

You have my sympathy. She is no longer suffering. You were lucky to have had a good life with her.

·
American Legion Rider
21,203 Posts
So sorry for you loss. It's like losing a member of the family. That's what they are after all, but most likely the best one. Everyone grieves in their own way. Hope you find yours and it is terribly hard on you.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My condolences my friend!

(I have been there too many times but still can't manage to be without a four-legged life's companion.)

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

I don't think we could start over again with another dog if anything happened to our dog Crosby.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,843 Posts
My condolences, I/we as a family have gone through this loss many times. It is like loosing a member of the family.

Search for 'rainbow bridge' in google. It should help.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. Dogs just don't live long enough or we live too long. I've been blessed to have six exceptional dogs in my lifetime and each time one passes I say, "no more"... and then cave in. But Hannah was the best of the best for me, so I think I'm done.

·
Registered
943 Posts
But Hannah was the best of the best for me, so I think I'm done.
Don't hold yourself to that.

I have said that before many times but never lasted more than a couple of weeks (or as little as a day) before making a commitment to the next one.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Sorry for your loss. At least Hannah had a family that cared enough to stop the suffering.

Like most, every time I say it is the last one, but I somehow find that another new faithful friend has a way of finding me and the whole thing starts over again. I never regret it, but never forget either.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
It always hurts............we've lost as many as we have. I still hear or see them in certain moments. I kinda embrace those memories or mental images.........they help me feel like the pet I lost is still "giving" to me.

Take "Jake" for example. He truly WAS a "Christian dog" in our lives. We watched him give of his food, his place on the mat, his toys.........to the other dogs. Never presuming to be "first," he was always more concerned for the other animals in the house. We miss him (and other pets), but "time" makes it easier. We also found that we COULD bring a new pet into our lives, and get some of that relationship back again. Here's a video I made, right after we put Jake down. Poor bugger was falling apart, and we didn't want him to suffer in his older years. Especially after all the ways he showed us what it meant to be a "giver" and not a "taker."

-Soupy

·
lost
1,106 Posts
A bit late on this but...

My condolences.

Dogs give us unconditional love and in return we give the same, including letting them go when life is no longer a pleasure for them. They live in the moment and eventually that moment is only suffering, apart from a wag of the tail at the sound of your voice.

Move at your own pace when it comes to getting another pet. You'll never replace one, but eventually you may find room for another in your life.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
Definitely Sorry for your Loss .. Kaiser will soon be 14 and definitely the Best of all my Dogs owned and owned many over the Years .. He is starting to fade now but will enjoy every minute until his time ..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts