Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering , what would an R6 / ZX-6R / CBR600RR be like to ride everyday? Is the riding position extremely uncomfortable ? Does it have really poor fuel economy?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well all those questions are relative... a "serious" sport rider would ignore the discomfort, and assume the fuel economy is rite-of-passage.

Define your commute situation.

Are you ready to hold a push-up for an hour in gridlock on a hot day? Or is your commute more like breezing through country roads?

I rode my bike to work only occasinally, and for me that means about 45 minutes highway and maybe 15-25 minutes in slow city traffic. Not a long commute, but still, I couldn't imagine trying to do that on a true supersport

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well all those questions are relative... a "serious" sport rider would ignore the discomfort, and assume the fuel economy is rite-of-passage.

Define your commute situation.

Are you ready to hold a push-up for an hour in gridlock on a hot day? Or is your commute more like breezing through country roads?

I rode my bike to work only occasinally, and for me that means about 45 minutes highway and maybe 15-25 minutes in slow city traffic. Not a long commute, but still, I couldn't imagine trying to do that on a true supersport
But the position a supersport puts you in, is it really that uncomfortable? I mean do you support your upper body just with your back/abs ? I've never ridden a supersport but if its so, then I imagine it would be horrible for more than 20 minutes. :(

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
05 ZX6R is my commuter 140 miles a day, 4 days a week, 11 months a year. ATGATT

Yes, it can be done. No, I do not think there is anything wrong with it.

My wrists, nor my ass hurt at the end of the day. At red lights I stand vertical, not hold a push-up. In traffic, I lane split at 20mph. On the highway, I mostly ride sitting up unless I am going too fast, then I tuck in.

I don't find super sports to be uncomfortable at all, but I have never ridden a cruiser apart from the Honda 250s the MSF uses. I have owned 2 Ninja 250s, a Suzuki SV650, and my Ninja 636.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Sure, why not? Ride what you've got. You might consider some hard bags or a tail bag if you need to carry stuff with you to and from. How long is your commute if long term comfort is the question though?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sure, why not? Ride what you've got. You might consider some hard bags or a tail bag if you need to carry stuff with you to and from. How long is your commute if long term comfort is the question though?
Well it's not about me, but I've seen many people riding supersports across the city and also some say they do some touring with them (up to 1000 km in a few days probably). That's why I was asking. The position seems awkward.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My commuter bike is a GSX-R1000. Perfect bike for me, very comfortable, very fast in traffic. I've had a naked bike for a while, but the upright riding position is way to uncomfortable.

I do think a 1000 is better for daily use than a 600. 600 is more nervous because it has power in a very limited range of rpm.

:)

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I put about 500-700 miles a week on my ZX9R. There were a few sore points when I first started with a super sport, but those muscles get stronger quick and no more soreness.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ive got quite a few friends who commute on their supersports, some of them commute almost a hour. Its really not that big of a deal.

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
It depends on you bro, There are people who feel sportsbikes are ungodly uncomfortable, others, its not bad at all.

I sometimes use my ZX-10R liter sportbike for commuting (I switch with my Harley) and I honestly am very comfortable on the sportbike. Between the Harley and the Ninja, Im comfortable on both, and have easily ridden 120+ miles and still felt fine. It just depends on you.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Age may be a factor. I'm 49 and couldn't do it. I also like 2-3 hour rides on the weekends. I ride a g650gs and it's great for commuting and cruising.
image.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts