Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my engine(TVS Apache) there is this strange clung coming within the transmission area, even in Neutral!
I have done about 10k kms with no major problems.
But this, this bugs me, almost seems like the piston rings are rubbing against the inner cylinder wall?
Or the carburetor is not not pumping enough gas?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I start my engine(TVS Apache) there is this strange clung coming within the transmission area, even in Neutral!
I have done about 10k kms with no major problems.
But this, this bugs me, almost seems like the piston rings are rubbing against the inner cylinder wall?
Or the carburetor is not not pumping enough gas?

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
I hope someone can get something out of that cause I sure can’t. There is nothing I can hear without knowing what you are doing. There is a bunch of odd sounds so is that what you are referring to? Are you doing anything when that happens? The video is mostly blacked out so I have no reference. Hopefully someone can get something out of it cause I sure can’t.

Reactions: Retired Guy

· Premium Member
11,108 Posts
There is a clink type clunk before the starter engages, then another clunk after the engine fires. It does not sound like it is coming from the engine to me. Is there something else next to the bike, that the bike touch? Piston rings on engines rub on the cylinder walls. That is what they are supposed to do. What is a TVS Apache? How many cylinders?

UK

28,710 Posts
Ah
There is a clink type clunk before the starter engages, then another clunk after the engine fires. It does not sound like it is coming from the engine to me. Is there something else next to the bike, that the bike touch? Piston rings on engines rub on the cylinder walls. That is what they are supposed to do. What is a TVS Apache? How many cylinders?

UK
Ahhhh....I hear it now. It does sound external to me.

· Premium Member
6,225 Posts
There is a click or clunk right after I hear the engine start running; could that be at the same time you release the start button? Sounds like the starter relay, to me.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cluck is exactly in 0:08 of the video, the other sounds are just normal for me.
The bike is single cylinder 200cc motor. The bike is not touching anything. If its not the engine, the sound is located near the engine area, maybe the transmission?

It happens when I start the engine and then hold the throttle at about 2500-3000 rpm

28,710 Posts
Are you starting the bike with the clutch lever released ? I'm thinking that's true given your setup for the video. So does this happen with the clutch lever pulled in as well ?

28,710 Posts
That should be valuable information for someone like WintrSol that actually works on bikes. I'm just trying to help zoom in. I don't want to suggest anything since I am not a mechanic. But I think we are getting closer to the root cause. Have you done any clutch work or adjustments? Just wonder out loud now if something in the clutch basket or if an adjustment could correct it. Time for the big guns to chime back in because I think we are on to something. I'm glad there is a difference. Hopefully they can diagnose further now knowing this info. At least I hope it's good info for them. Fingers crossed.???

· Premium Member
6,225 Posts
That is interesting - I can't tell from the second video, but did you release the clutch after the engine started?

If you don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, you can simulate one with that length of flexible tubing (fuel line, etc.), but stick a screw, bolt, or other hard object in the end. That way, you can touch the end against the engine/transmission case, to pick up what's happening inside better, and find the spot it is the loudest. Then, recruit a friend to do just that when you start it, so that you can home in on the source.

BTW, how old is the oil, and what viscosity (nWn)?

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
16,684 Posts
All else fails you can use a screw driver with a plastic handle. put the handle to your ear and the blade where you want to listen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.